I think I'm losing it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm losing it...

...and not for the reason some of you may think.

I've got a question for you guys. I love the flavor of garlic in my food bhut I can't seem to get it to come forth in what I cook. I have tried using garlic cloves diced, sliced, pressed & whole. I have tried the garlic in a jar & used garlic powder & still can't find the flavor I'm looking for. I made some shrimp scampi awhile back with plenty of garlic in it bhut I could barely taste it & yet I've had food at a restaurant, such as a garlic pizza, that tasted great.
    Am I buying the wrong garlic at the market, is there a special technique or am I just losing my tastebuds as I grow older?
    Any thoughts???

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

The longer garlic cooks, the sweeter it gets. For stronger garlic flavor, it needs to be put into the heat later. If temp is too high your garlic can brown and become bitter. When I do "Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes" I use quite a bit of slow roasted garlic for sweetness and then crush a little raw garlic in to give it a bright garlic flavor. I hope that makes sense?

Comment

Different garlics have different flavors...The one I used to grow was considered a very hot garlic...Not hot as in hot peppers but it was a huge garlic flavor...It was a hardneck variety...Stuff from the store is usually a softneck variety because it stores longer...Hardnecks only last about 6 months...

Thanks for the reminder...If you're planning to grow your own, now is the time to order...Plant in the fall for harvest next year...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rpmorey View Post
        The longer garlic cooks, the sweeter it gets. For stronger garlic flavor, it needs to be put into the heat later. If temp is too high your garlic can brown and become bitter. When I do "Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes" I use quite a bit of slow roasted garlic for sweetness and then crush a little raw garlic in to give it a bright garlic flavor. I hope that makes sense?
        This! I usually add garlic at the very end of a cook...Parsley too...

Unless its is part of a saute...Then it is usually added at the beginning...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, this is the kind of info I was looking for.

Generally, I have added the garlic to the pan at the start of the cook to caramelize & bring oot what sweetness there is from the type of garlic you find at the supermarket. I'd wager I was cooking it to death.
          I have never seen any variety such as what Craig mentioned. I'm guessing I need to find a good farmer's market?

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
          Paul

Comment

If you like a mild Garlic taste, try roasting it. In the oven, or those little plug in electric roasters, or better yet on the grill or smoker. It's awesome spread on crackers, toasted baquettes, etc.

For that fresh Garlic taste, minimal time cooking IMO, or apply it on freshly pressed or finely diced. Awesome on Pizza
            sigpic

Comment

I agree with what has been said. I've never seen the hardneck variety except to order for planting.
              Another thing a lot of pizza restaurants do is use a very concentrated garlic oil. They brush it on the dough before and just as it comes out of the oven.
              Also instead of mincing the cloves, try using a food micro plane for adding garlic at the end of a cook. This works great for scampi.
              Last edited by BYBBQ; 07-20-2016, 10:23 PM.
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                Also instead of mincing the cloves, try using a food plane for adding garlic at the end of a cook. This works great for scampi.
                Great Tip, going to try this
                sigpic

Comment

Well.....

I think there is also something to be said about the changing of our taste buds as we grow older too.

Like Toby Keith says, I aint as good as I once was, but I am good once as I ever was.

Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Maybe a garlic infused olive oil to support the flavor? Less cooking lends a better garlic flavor IMO. Cook up something for me and I will critique it for you!
                    sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      Different garlics have different flavors...The one I used to grow was considered a very hot garlic...Not hot as in hot peppers but it was a huge garlic flavor...It was a hardneck variety...Stuff from the store is usually a softneck variety because it stores longer...Hardnecks only last about 6 months...

Thanks for the reminder...If you're planning to grow your own, now is the time to order...Plant in the fall for harvest next year...
                      Bingo.... hardneck will give you what you a looking for in my opinion. You might have to go to a farmers market to find it though or a specialty retailer. This has much more flavor if you ask me!! Good luck!!
                      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                      Yoder YS640
                      Weber Genesis
                      Weber 18.5" Kettle
                      Weber Performer
                      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

1. Always add de garlic after the ooion, pepper an celery are wilted, not caramelized jus cooked a bit.

2. IF you cookin with de garlic, you not gonna taste it like de folks that jus eatin. While you are cooking with it, it saturates the sensors (olfactory) in yoo nose. Try the food next day and...opp, dere it is!

(I know, what leftovers)
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Ice,
                          I like to compare it to a set of Maverick Digital Wireless Therms.
                          You have a Transmitter, which is similar to your taste buds.
                          Then you have the Receiver, which is similar to your brain.

So the taste buds get ahold of the flavors, and send the info to the Brain, just like the Transmitter.
                          Then the Brain takes over, recognizing the Flavors, and just like the Receiver reads the info from the Transmitter.

It looks to me like your problem may be a Defective Receiver.

Bear
                          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                            Ice,

It looks to me like your problem may be a Defective Receiver.

Bear
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                              1. Always add de garlic after the ooion, pepper an celery are wilted, not caramelized jus cooked a bit.

2. IF you cookin with de garlic, you not gonna taste it like de folks that jus eatin. While you are cooking with it, it saturates the sensors (olfactory) in yoo nose. Try the food next day and...opp, dere it is!

(I know, what leftovers)
                              This seems to happen to me alot when cooking...Never seems to taste as good the first day as it does leftover...
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X