Caveman Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caveman Style

This is not my work, never tried myself.
    Anyone ever try?
    Am not sure I see the benefits.....
    Hahaha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Darren

Alton Brown did that on an episode of Good Eats.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

Comment

I've seen it done over on the WKC Forums... not my style. Something about bits of charcoal adhering to my food that does not appeal to me... That's why GRILL GRATES were invented...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Yup, I agree. Only way I'd consider is out camping without a grate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Darren

Comment

I have to agree with Phil !!

I can remember when I was a Kid, we used to go camping out with family, and we'd stick a hot dog on a stick.
          If it fell into the fire, we still had to eat it. I didn't particularly care for that extra seasoning.

I think I would like it even less on my Steak.

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
            I didn't particularly care for that extra seasoning.

Bear
            x2
            ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Agree with ya Spivitz. But then I'd try to make somewhat of a "grate" with saplings.....
              sigpic

Comment

When done properly you don’t get any charcoal adhered to the meat. You need to prep the charcoal and make it ash free and it needs to be extremely hot. The meat will sear quickly sealing it. You can accomplish the same thing with a grate if you can build your fire right up to grate level. Easy to do in a Weber smokey joe or other small bbq.

It’s a fun party trick to do when cooking a steak someone else brought. The look on their face when you toss it on the coals is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

GOSM, (4) Mini-WSM, Mini-ZA, UDS, 1967 Casa Q, StoveTec Rocket Stove, 12" & 18" AMNTS, (2) Mav ET732,
                iGrill Therm

Comment

that's for sure! Still looks good for breakfast!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post
                    When done properly you don’t get any charcoal adhered to the meat. You need to prep the charcoal and make it ash free and it needs to be extremely hot. The meat will sear quickly sealing it. You can accomplish the same thing with a grate if you can build your fire right up to grate level. Easy to do in a Weber smokey joe or other small bbq.

It’s a fun party trick to do when cooking a steak someone else brought. The look on their face when you toss it on the coals is priceless.
                    I just don't get the concept. Grill grates work for me. And how do you make charcoal ash free?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                      I just don't get the concept. Grill grates work for me. And how do you make charcoal ash free?

Pretty simple you shake the ash off then brush or blow the remaining ash off. Put the meat on immediately.

Granted this is not for everyone, however it does work and if done properly you get no ash on the meat. Just a perfectly evenly seared steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

GOSM, (4) Mini-WSM, Mini-ZA, UDS, 1967 Casa Q, StoveTec Rocket Stove, 12" & 18" AMNTS, (2) Mav ET732,
                      iGrill Therm

Comment

I'm goin to have to try this just to post my own. I'll use a $6 piece of meat......then I can post a better opinion....

Ssssssh

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post
                          Pretty simple you shake the ash off then brush or blow the remaining ash off. Put the meat on immediately.

Granted this is not for everyone, however it does work and if done properly you get no ash on the meat. Just a perfectly evenly seared steak.
                          Okay... no offense, butt I'm sticking with my grates...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Never tried it with a steak...
                            I have thrown peppers right into the coals to get a quick roast on em...But then ya peel off the seared skins...
                            Not the same I guess...
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                              Never tried it with a steak...
                              I have thrown peppers right into the coals to get a quick roast on em...But then ya peel off the seared skins...
                              Not the same I guess...
                              Not to mention a spinnin' meatloaf...
                              Bhut, I'll not mention it...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X