Thoughts on this knife set ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this knife set ???

by using the code KAMIKOTO I can get this set for basically $280. I have seen them on other sites for $900. Any input is welcome.

https://www.amazon.com/Kamikoto-Kanp...amikoto+knives

I really don't know anything about them. If they are the style, shape and types of blades & handles you like. Go for them.
    Have you seen and handled them? Very important that they fit your hand and feel comfortable to you. Are they going to be your kitchen/everyday knives? If so I can buy several very great name knives( Wusthof, Shun, Global, Zwilling J.A. Henckels ) for less money.

JMHO-YMMV
    Jim

Comment

The three knives for $280 doesn't seem that bad. The original price is crazy.
      Don't know the brand, I'd stick with the ones Jim mentioned above.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
        I really don't know anything about them. If they are the style, shape and types of blades & handles you like. Go for them.
        Have you seen and handled them? Very important that they fit your hand and feel comfortable to you. Are they going to be your kitchen/everyday knives? If so I can buy several very great name knives( Wusthof, Shun, Global, Zwilling J.A. Henckels ) for less money.

JMHO-YMMV
        I have not handled them. An yes I do like look/style of these. Several reviews say they are well balanced an nice shape of handles UNLESS you have small hands. Which I do not.
        Yes, they would be pretty much everyday knives. I have a couple J.A. Henckles now. Actually have had them for years an am happy with. After the coupon discount these are $93.33 a piece. Which I believe was little less than price of Henckles I paid. But I am not thinking/saying I got a good deal them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
          The three knives for $280 doesn't seem that bad. The original price is crazy.
          Don't know the brand, I'd stick with the ones Jim mentioned above.

I agree on the original prices !!! Would have to be a more well known brand for me to even consider half of the original price !

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post

JMHO-YMMV
            X2. Don't know anything about that brand, butt I have Wusthof in my arsenal. Great knives. Bought them after having them in my hands. Felt right. Alright.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I personally would never buy a high-dollar knife based on someone else's opinion I read online. I would only buy if I could handle the knife to see if it felt right to me. JWWFM-YMMV

Honestly, from your responses, you've already talked yourself into these knives. Which is fine and it should be totally your decision. I think you were looking for people to give different answers than what you got.
              I say again, if they are what you want and like, " go for it ".
              What anyone else thinks doesn't matter, only what you think.
              Last edited by BYBBQ; 07-13-2017, 10:04 AM.
              Jim

Comment

If ya do buy them, holler back what ya think of them. I'm curious now.....
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

look good - but what's with the hollow grind one side and flat grind the other ?
                  Sounds like they'd be tricky to keep sharp.

Plus lidl had same japanese type knives in a couple weeks ago for about $20 a piece.

The amazon page just says 'high quality steel'. That tells you almost nothing.
                  For that kind of money I'd want to know what steel it actually was.
                  far as I can see they're not even folded steel.
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I would not buy. Many problems with this deal.
                    I was told by my Japanese friend that the calligraphy on the knife seem childish. No Japanese would allow such bad writing on expensive knives.

In anycase, a $900 knife set selling for $280? Cheap fake Chinese knockoff.

dcarch

Comment

They have a website that offers a little bit more information...I would peruse the reviews on Amazon, I'm sure there are a lot of fake ones...but the ones to read are the negative ones.

https://kamikoto.com/products/kanpeki-knife-set
                      Mustang electric smoker
                      King Kooker vertical gasser
                      Charbroil silver smoker
                      Earnhardt Jr smoker
                      Brinkman smoke n' grill
                      a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

After reading their web site and looking at a few other places about them, I found that several sites are saying that most of the reviews are fake reviews and if you read their web site it's a bunch of confusing talk and no real facts about the knives. Nowhere do they say exactly what steel is used in the knives or exactly which foundry it comes from, just a region. They talk a bunch about traditions of knife making, but nowhere do they say which ones were used in the making of the knives. They do not say exactly where they are made or how. Forged or folded, don't appear to be folded, look more like stamped than hand or machine forged.

I tend to agree that these may well be fake or cheap knock-offs and not the high quality they try to lead people to believe.

I would not buy them at any price.

There are many knives of Asian design and quality that can be bought for $20-$50 per knife and they will disclose everything about the knives.

JMHO-YMMV
                        Jim

Comment

If it sounds too good to be true...It probably is.
                          Arron W.

YS 640
                          Primo Oval XL
                          Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
                          Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
                          Weber Copper Top
                          Old Smokey
                          Orion
                          Gasser
                          2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
                          24" Disco with custom burner
                          Red Thermapen
                          2-Maverick ET-733
                          Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
                          sigpic

Comment

My guess is, steer clear.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Personally, I would steer clear of them and stick with proven brands that have history, and reputation to back it up. I like a lot of others, have mostly Henckels and Wusthof and am very pleased with them. To each their own though.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X