Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoker

High fellers. Just As like my stuffer thread. I cannot make my mind up. Everyone seems to go for the MES but I have eyes the Bradley smokers for cold smoking purposes like cheese and salt. I know there is mods that can be done for the MES to Cold smoke but I'd rather not Half to mod something like that.

Can anyone give me any insight? I would be cold smoking cheeses side meat and Jowls from hogs we will be killing along with other things like fish.

Appreciate the help yall

I have heard way too much negative stuff about the Bradley to think that I would recommend one...MES can have it's problems too but is tried and true for cold smoking...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Some people like the Bradley's but my opinion is they're crap. The pucks I didn't like the aroma and at the time I used it I could only get the pucks 60 miles away. Heat was uneven. Hotter in the back than front. Never owned an mes, sure do love my fridge smoker for sausage.
      sigpic

Comment

What these fine gentlemen said. I had an MES and it worked OK most of the time, and love the concept. I re-wired the fried connectors 2-3 thymes, and finally gave up, it was too unpredictable for me. This was aboot 10 years ago. That said, I think some of the newer ones are better. Check oot some of Bearcarvers threads regarding reliability, mods and their best models, he probably has the most experience with them that I know of. I have not heard a lotta good stuff aboot Bradley's either.

I have owned a couple Cookshack electric smokers and never had a problem 1 with either of them, just chose to go a different route cooking wise. They are aboot 2x the price of MES or Bradley's, butt might be worth looking at if quality products are your thing. Big following with great reviews last I checked.
        sigpic

Comment

Wow thanks for the humbling feedback. Really appreciate you keeping me away from the Bradley. Consistency of heat and smoke is a big deal with what I want and especially the cold smoke. I really want that
          To be efficient. Yet as like most of you don't want to exactly break the bank. Fishawn I will look at the cookshack smokers.

I'm interested in electric to btw. Not sure I want to fight with propane and such. Charcoal I just don't have the time for that

Comment

Also want to say I've looked at the smokin tex smokers. They seem good but no cold smoke. The cold smoke is almost a deal breaker for me on most all
            Of them

Comment

Originally posted by Blinginpse View Post
              Wow thanks for the humbling feedback. Really appreciate you keeping me away from the Bradley. Consistency of heat and smoke is a big deal with what I want and especially the cold smoke. I really want that
              To be efficient. Yet as like most of you don't want to exactly break the bank. Fishawn I will look at the cookshack smokers.

I'm interested in electric to btw. Not sure I want to fight with propane and such. Charcoal I just don't have the time for that
              The Bradley, Cookshack and MES are all electric (although MES does make propane models, and also charcoal I believe). There are also a couple other manufacturers that I think are built by Cookshack or are very similar in desigh/function and maybe re-branded under different names (Smokin-it or similar? And Smokin-tex). Amazon carries them. I will look for the links and attach. A friend of mine bought a Smokin-it for her husband a couple years ago for Christmas and they really like it and no problems yet.
              sigpic

Comment

Awesome. Dang u guys are on it. I figure if I can get cold smoke then I can cold smoke my brats before I seal and Freeze
                Them Too

Comment

Smokin-It Model #2 Electric Smoker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KKLDX0..._p6mhAbT1K65C6

Smokintex 1100 Pro Series Electric Smoker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KCKA1O..._d7mhAb3HVY30V

I think both manufacturers make different sizes/models, with different pricing.

A good cold smoker addition would be Amazen products tube or tray IMO (Hope I spelled it correctly) Todd is also a member here, and also available at Owensbbq.com (also BOTH members here)
                  Last edited by Fishawn; 11-27-2017, 08:55 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Sliced 1 these hams and boiled the other for the last few days of thanksgiving.

And a few other pics from the other end of the spectrum

Comment

Just ordered a a-maz-n smoker tube.

Comment

Just ordered a a-maz-n smoker tube.
                        Thats all i use for cold smoking in my Masterbuilt gasser. If the temps are down too low, not often in Phoenix, I put in a single burner hot plate to get them up a little bit.
                        Mike
                        Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                        POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                        Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
                          Thats all i use for cold smoking in my Masterbuilt gasser. If the temps are down too low, not often in Phoenix, I put in a single burner hot plate to get them up a little bit.

Hey dang good idea on the hot plate

Comment

Hey dang good idea on the hot plate
                            Works good and they're dirt cheap
                            Mike
                            Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                            POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                            Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

For cold smoking, all you need is an AMNPS, a handful of sawdust & a cardboard box.

If you want to use a Smoker just don't turn it on. The AMNPS will do fine.

If you ever want to hot smoke, it's my understanding that the Bradley units are underpowered. I looked at them 9 years ago, and the Pucks you have to buy cost a fortune, so I got my first MES in 2009, and never looked back.

Bear
                              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                              X