Smoker broke overnight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoker broke overnight

Hi everyone this might be first post but would appreciate some help. I was doing a shoulder overnight and at 2am it was up over 170 already. When I woke up 830 temp was down to 98. Is it safe to finish cooking in oven? Seems my heating element broke. Really appreciate any and all help.

Thanks!

When in doubt toss it out....

If it were me, and I was just feeding myself, I would cook it in the oven and take a chance.... if I were going to feed to others I would toss...

You did get it above 165 so that killed everything.. I just don't know how long it was below 140 that would have me worried.
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

That’s kind of my thought too. I’m cooking it in the oven but will probably just chuck it. Sucks. Thanks though.

Comment

What’s yer weather like? Cold? Ehh... still risky somewhat.

Sorry man.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Oh..and welcome to Smoked-Meat :{)
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well, if the meat was over 170* internal, it was cooked through. The question would relate to what happened after that point. If you pop it in the oven to finish as pulled pork at 195* to 205*, any surface bacteria will also be killed (again). I seriously doubt there will be a problem. If anything, any issue will likely relate to the texture of the meat (but that is a guess).

Basically it was no different than a fully cooked pork roast for slicing when you last checked the temp.
            Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Should be fine, temp an average of 11 degrees an hour so it was under 140 for slightly less than 4 hours. I would've have fridged it, reheated later and sliced.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aperez49 View Post
                That’s kind of my thought too. I’m cooking it in the oven but will probably just chuck it. Sucks. Thanks though.
                You made the right call.

Chance are you would have been fine. But then chances are also you might have turned into a hydro powered stool rocket and spent a fun day on the commode.
                Attached Files
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Weak Man, sorry

Darren

Comment

To me...And maybe to me alone...

I can't imagine putting meat in a smoker of any kind and going to sleep...
                    That has bad news written all over it...

BBQ is a food of love and should be treated that way...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      To me...And maybe to me alone...

I can't imagine putting meat in a smoker of any kind and going to sleep...
                      That has bad news written all over it...

BBQ is a food of love and should be treated that way...
                      I am in your camp,,,,but have been known to nod off a few times.....I learned a very memorable lesson that night.....don't hold your beer.

But with all the new gadgets out there I may try a set it and forget it for a few hours.

There are a number of monitors that you can set a low temp alarm for just this purpose.

I am testing a WiFi one from Tappacue. I can set it and check from my phone. I figure if something would happen I can call the wife to tell her to call fire department or turn on the oven....

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                        You made the right call.
                        Chance are you would have been fine. But then chances are also you might have turned into a hydro powered stool rocket and spent a fun day on the commode.
                        Ouch I'd chuck it also
                        Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                        Weber 22.5" WSM
                        Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                        Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                        Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                        Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                        Weber 18.5" Kettle
                        Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        GMG Daniel Boone
                        Pit Barrel Cooker
                        Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                        6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                        Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                        The Vortex

Comment

I agree... perhaps this could have been handled a little more “gently”. But I know Dave pretty well..and..well, he’s just a fact based kinda guy. It’s not personal..he works best with known quantities IMO. Which..in this arena, is of paramount importance. Again..altho I DO know most of the mitigating factors here and COULD make a SWAG... I will not. I’m a chicken

And sure..we do NOT typically know if our meat has been compromised. Granted it is a SMALL risk..even if so..assuming good hygiene practices etc. To me..that’s a FAIR assumption. NOT a guarantee. We ALL seen the number of recalls, etc. that happens industry wide on a regular basis.

And yeah..I’d have liked to seen the answer to the “cold” question..but in hindsight..there’s just too much UNKNOWN here. I mean the mass of the smoker/grate combo would matter. Ugh... I don’t need a headache

PS: Your so called “dumb hicks” pretty much supported, and continue to support all the “brainiacs” we have. Many times using wit, guile and experience..ALL of which..overall..are the best teachers when the rubber “meats” the road ;{)

An anecdote... as a young shaver I was in the local hardware store buying BB’s for my Red Rider. Farmer in front of me bought some washers. The clerk said $$2.75, and the farmer says “Damn..next time I’m just gonna drill some holes in a few quarters!”

I will never forget that “dumb hick” Mr. Buford Clark. He taught me alot.

Comment

Don't go away, Ryan! Us dumb country hicks need to stick together!

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
                            Good One Heritage Oven
                            Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

The meat was cooked and smoked - so the outside inch or so is also cured - how is this any worse than shoving it in a cooler for a few hours ?
                              And given its sterile and in a sterile environment - where are you getting bacteria from to make you ill ?

Got to admit sometimes you guys just plain don't make any sense.
                              there's food safety and then there's scientific fact. Sometimes round here never the twain shall meet.

The so called 'danger zone' (which doesn't apparently apply to sous vide) does not apply in this case.

The meat is cooked, so danger zone no longer applicable.
                              meat is smoked, so no surface bacteria of any consequence.
                              meat is in a smoker that has been hot enough to kill most bacteria.
                              Oh yeah and the interior surface of most smokers is toxic to just about anything.
                              Where is the issue ?
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X