Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yanno..I sent Mo an email last week...she's been MIA since May.

Try a tablespoon of sugar?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I don't know how much they sent you, but 1/2 teaspoon doesn't sound like much. If you have more, I'd just dump it all in, add a little more warm water and enough flour to make it more like a medium thick pancake batter. If all that doesn't work, just PM me your address and I'll send you some of mine.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Ok, I got home and it was more of the same. A ball of dense flour dough on the bottom and a layer of golden brown (this morning it was clear) liquid on top.

So I added about a tbsp of raw sugar, some dehydrated potato flakes, enough flour to thickened it up to a pancake batter consistency. Maybe a little thicker. I also added the rest of the starter flakes. It's been sitting in the oven with the light on for about an hour, hoping the slightly warmer temp kicks things off. We'll see.

sent from my super cool internet enabled pocket watch.
        Last edited by PitRow; 11-30-2011, 10:18 PM.
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Well that seems to have done something. Last night before I went to bed I added some more flour and water and stirred it up real good. This morning it had some nice bubbles going, though not too many. It didn't seem to have changed volume any yet, but at least it's doing something.
          Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
            Well that seems to have done something. Last night before I went to bed I added some more flour and water and stirred it up real good. This morning it had some nice bubbles going, though not too many. It didn't seem to have changed volume any yet, but at least it's doing something.
            Your starter may not change in volume to a great extent. It's when you make the sponge from the starter and make a dough that it really starts to expand. Sounds like you are off to a good start now.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
              Your starter may not change in volume to a great extent. It's when you make the sponge from the starter and make a dough that it really starts to expand. Sounds like you are off to a good start now.
              Hmmm, yeah I guess I was thinking it'd be like dough and expand, but that makes sense, since the expansion comes from the gasses released and in this semi-liquid state the bubbles just float up and pop. Cool.

Can't wait to make some bread with it.
              Mike
              Life In Pit Row

Comment

Yeasts LOVE sugar :{)
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well it seems to be doing it's thing now. When I got home last night it was nice and bubbly and had almost doubled in size. I left it alone overnight and this morning it was back down to it's usual size. I fed it some more flour and water and tonight I'm going to split some off to make bread and the rest goes in the fridge for a short nap. :-) Thanks for the help getting it going guys!
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                      Well it seems to be doing it's thing now. When I got home last night it was nice and bubbly and had almost doubled in size. I left it alone overnight and this morning it was back down to it's usual size. I fed it some more flour and water and tonight I'm going to split some off to make bread and the rest goes in the fridge for a short nap. :-) Thanks for the help getting it going guys!
                      Mike, make sure you make an extra cup of your sponge. Then in the morning, just put that cup back in with your starter. You're on the road to having a lifetime supply of starter and the longer you have it, the better it gets.
                      sigpic
                      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I've been working on a starter for the last 3 days and it just started bubbling today!
                        Been reading about sourdough and thought i'd give it a try........so far, so good.
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by smc51 View Post
                          I've been working on a starter for the last 3 days and it just started bubbling today!
                          Been reading about sourdough and thought i'd give it a try........so far, so good.
                          Good on ya! Great stuff! Reminds me...I need to wake that gig up & feed & burp it!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                          X