Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time i tried brisket

hi folks

today i smoked brisket for my first time ever! the brisket i got was about 13 pound so because it was my first time i split it in two and only did 6 pounds today.

im happy with the result, but next time i use a brine. how much salt/liter and how long do you think i would need?

it was on the smoker for about 10 hours and the temp i used was between 70-80C (158-176F)

what you guys think? and any pro tip for my next time?

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much //Ronald Reagan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing // Edmund Burke

We don't brine briskets in Oklahoma but cuts of meat may be different where you live. RichTee will be a good resource on brining science. I would boost those temps up a bit. Best to get those briskets around 250F.
    sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Never brined a brisket, and given the fat and connective tissue, I don't think it will be of much value. I agree with jwbtulsa, you need to be running your smoker at ~250° f. Ten hours at your temps probably wont yield optimum results. You obviously got a good smoke ring, but I doubt that the fat was completely rendered and the connective tissue was completely broken down. Get yourself a good instant read thermometer, and shoot for an internal temperature of around 200° f. there are a lot of good tutorials here.
      http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...isket+tutorial

Capt. Dan isn't with us anymore, but his wisdom still is.
      http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6210
      A few of my favorite things:
      Good Whiskey
      Good Food
      Bad Girls
      sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
      Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

A full packer brisket consists of two parts...The flat is leaner...Looks like you cooked the point which has much more fat...Also slicing is difficult because the grain isn't always running in the same direction...

Like the guys said...Cook around 250 and cook to internal temp of 190-205...

When you cook the other half it will be a whole different roast...But the guidelines are the same...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

i was thinking about to use brine because i think it lacked some salt but i will try the brisket tomorrow now i just took a little sample of it.

how come y'all prefer 250 F ? i hold a lower temp because i was scared it would be dry and "burnt" if i had a much higer temp.

also, the protein still gets "destroyed" at lower temps

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much //Ronald Reagan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing // Edmund Burke

Comment

the protein isn't destroyed, it's denatured.
            Which means it breaks down into smaller and softer protein chunks that have more flavour and less chew, eventually proteins break down into amino acids (as with aged hams).
            And while it is true that proteins start to denature around 65c, the tougher sinews and the fat won't cook or break down properly at so low a temperature for so short a time.

And yeah - cooking temp is way to low :-)

Have a look at bear's brisket 101 - link in the signature of all his posts.

It's something I still haven't got round to doing - but read so much about it over the years, got a pretty good idea how it should be done.
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by mackan110 View Post
              i was thinking about to use brine because i think it lacked some salt but i will try the brisket tomorrow now i just took a little sample of it.

how come y'all prefer 250 F ? i hold a lower temp because i was scared it would be dry and "burnt" if i had a much higer temp.

also, the protein still gets "destroyed" at lower temps
              Still a good first effort. You can only go up from there. What is the salad in the Picture? Im getting more plating conscious and that looks like a great example of top notch plating.
              Mike
              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
              POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
              Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

how come y'all prefer 250 F ?
                First, let me say how much I love that a Swede is using "y'all". Must be from southern Sweden. And to answer your question, many years of experience. I cooked my first brisket when I received a side box smoker for father's day around 1986. I got my oak fire going, throttled it down (didn't pay any attention to temps) and went to bed. got up the next morning and figured that the thing had smoked for about 14 hours, and it was still smoking. I pulled it out, cut into it, and it was raw inside. Had a nice bark, and was so bitter tasting that I had to throw it in the trash. Since then I have cooked several hundred briskets. What I have figured out that works for me, seems to be pretty close to what works for most other folks. Don't get me wrong, there are always more ways to skin a cat than choking it to death on butter, but that's what works for me. BTW, that desert is right purty looking.
                A few of my favorite things:
                Good Whiskey
                Good Food
                Bad Girls
                sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  the protein isn't destroyed, it's denatured.
                  Which means it breaks down into smaller and softer protein chunks that have more flavour and less chew, eventually proteins break down into amino acids (as with aged hams).
                  And while it is true that proteins start to denature around 65c, the tougher sinews and the fat won't cook or break down properly at so low a temperature for so short a time.

And yeah - cooking temp is way to low :-)

Have a look at bear's brisket 101 - link in the signature of all his posts.

i know its not getting destroyed but didnt know the english word for it was to lazy to translate xD
                  thanks for the input! i will check the link!

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
                  Still a good first effort. You can only go up from there. What is the salad in the Picture? Im getting more plating conscious and that looks like a great example of top notch plating.
                  That is true! tomorrow i will eat it and when this is gone i can try the next one and improve!

if you ment my profil picture its not a salad, it a starter. It is Scallop with cauliflower, trout roe, celery and some more. its about 12 different things you need to plate ^^ if you want more info just send me a msg =)

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                  First, let me say how much I love that a Swede is using "y'all". Must be from southern Sweden. And to answer your question, many years of experience. I cooked my first brisket when I received a side box smoker for father's day around 1986. I got my oak fire going, throttled it down (didn't pay any attention to temps) and went to bed. got up the next morning and figured that the thing had smoked for about 14 hours, and it was still smoking. I pulled it out, cut into it, and it was raw inside. Had a nice bark, and was so bitter tasting that I had to throw it in the trash. Since then I have cooked several hundred briskets. What I have figured out that works for me, seems to be pretty close to what works for most other folks. Don't get me wrong, there are always more ways to skin a cat than choking it to death on butter, but that's what works for me. BTW, that desert is right purty looking.

haha, im actually from Värmland (middle of sweden) i just like the way how people in the south (US) talk even though i have never been their :(

you have a recipie you can share with me? :D

thanks! i agree, its realy beutiful but it takes some time to plate it :P its a strawberry bavaroise with pistachio and a elderflower sorbet

Comment

Not bad a’tall. I’m still wearing slices of my first brisket on my work boot soles. 12 years hard wear...
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                    X