Best cooler for resting meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cooler for resting meat

I am curious what type coolers you guys are all using to let your freshly smoked meat rest in...thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I use Igloo coolers mostly, and I have a Coleman. All work well. Choose a size according to your needs, and make sure you can fit half pans in it.
    Last edited by HawgHeaven; 12-11-2016, 10:58 AM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Brand doesn't matter...make sure it's clean, and if it is cold (maybe had some beverages in it??), I have warmed them up by dumping in some boiling water to preheat.
      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

And use towels to cover the (foiled) pans, then close the lid. Will keep things warm for hours!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I scout around for those “Omaha Beef” styrofoam shippers. They hold 2 half pans, and a full if ya bend ‘er a bit. And they are free...sitting out for trash day

But yeah any cooler will work. Actually..I have a couple Cambros too now that I think about it heh.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            I scout around for those “Omaha Beef” styrofoam shippers. They hold 2 half pans, and a full if ya bend ‘er a bit. And they are free...sitting out for trash day

But yeah any cooler will work. Actually..I have a couple Cambros too now that I think about it heh.
            Been looking at the cambros for the catering gig. Coolers work fine, butt the cambros are easier access for all the pans. Plus, they look more professional at a gig...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
              Been looking at the cambros for the catering gig. Coolers work fine, butt the cambros are easier access for all the pans. Plus, they look more professional at a gig...
              They do look pro and for the price they should be...I rented 2 when I catered a wedding this summer and they worked great

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I got a big Coleman from goodwill for 1 buck and it works great. Large enough I've had 10 butts in it with room for more
                sigpicTommy

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                  I use Igloo coolers mostly, and I have a Coleman. All work well. Choose a size according to your needs, and make sure you can fit half pans in it.

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                  Brand doesn't matter...make sure it's clean, and if it is cold (maybe had some beverages in it??), I have warmed them up by dumping in some boiling water to preheat.
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

The inside of my Coleman cooler is warped a bit from hot brisket pans...Even though several layers of towels are always between the two...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ICE FREAK View Post
                      The inside of my Coleman cooler is warped a bit from hot brisket pans...Even though several layers of towels are always between the two...
                      Yeah...that can happen...figgering it ends up around 150 or so in there with a big slab. You needed a new cooler anyway
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by ICE FREAK View Post
                        Yup, that tends to happen, butt does not effect the function. I thought aboot cutting a piece of 1/8" plywood to lay on the bottom, then towels, then meats, then towels. Not sure if it's worth the effort... just a thought.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Go to HD and buy a 4" x 8" x 3/4" rigid foam insulation board. The ones with one side silver and one side blue plastic.

Cut to size you want fabricate with duct tape to make a box. Cheap, good and strong, exact size you need.

Silver side in best for hot food. Silver side out best for cold food.

dcarch

Comment

Mostly a blue one, sometimes the red one and sometimes the soft one that says bud light in the outside. Lately I take the soft one that say bud light zipper it up and put it inside the blue one. Pack the rest of the space with a big bath towel and call it a day.

I don't have to pay for cooler for the most part so I really don't pay attention to the name on the side.

Comment

Keep several on hand, reserve largest for beer though
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X