Hobart Model 612 Chopper Refurbishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart Model 612 Chopper Refurbishment

My refurbishment of this Hobart Model 612 Chopper (meat grinder) is mostly complete. A period-correct restoration would be amazing, but I am very oriented toward function. Thank you to those members here, especially nickelmore, who answered my questions. The Practical Machinist Forum was also incredibly helpful with this project as I believe it to be the greatest web-based resource for reliable information on Repulsion Start Induction Run (RSIR) electric motors, which these Hobarts use.

I am not certain of the early history of this unit, but based on serial number research, I believe it to have been manufactured in the 1920’s or 1930’s. I believe my maternal grandparents owned it and used it on their farm at least as early as the 1960’s, but death and time obscure prior history of it. It may have come from one of my great-grandparent’s farms, but I have been unable to verify.

I received it with what may be the original grinder attachment, and I will probably have that re-tinned. However, for now I will try the all stainless Alfa International attachment (12 SS CCA) in the photos.

I apologize for the blurry "before" photos".
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bsf; 10-21-2017, 06:34 PM. Reason: grammar

That is absolutely beautiful! What a great restoration job on this beast! BRAVO!!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Nice work, that'll get R done!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thats awesome BSF! very nice work - looks brand new
        ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

That looks awesome. Enjoy it!
          sigpic

Comment

Very nice... And points for restoring a great piece of Americana..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

That's really sweet! Nice work sir
              sigpic

Comment

That really turned out nice! Everything from that time period has such cool style.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
                Good One Heritage Oven
                Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

A piece of history risen from the ashes...Think how many of these units have been disposed of because "they weren't worth fixing"...

Excellent work
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Yea, that does deserve
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

That is awesome work! I like the stainless bling as well.

I had some pieces "hot dipped" with tin that I was real happy with but for the grinder parts you may want to look at a place that does it by electrostatic.

I think the pieces will need to be re-machined (threads, auger drive, etc.) if they are hot dipped. Something to ask your tin plater.

Have to throw some points for saving a Hobart for your next generation.

Comment

Yep, great job on the resto-mod.

Comment

Everyone, thank you for the complimentary words.

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                          ….I had some pieces "hot dipped" with tin that I was real happy with but for the grinder parts you may want to look at a place that does it by electrostatic.

I think the pieces will need to be re-machined (threads, auger drive, etc.) if they are hot dipped. Something to ask your tin plater….
                          Thank you for the info on retinning. I asked customer service about requirement for machining at Metal Coating Company (Ohio). Their response was ambiguous. They hot dip.

Based on what you mentioned previously, I suspect you used Archer. Is that correct?

Comment

Dang...impressive..she’s a beauty...
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                            X