Temp question - brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp question - brisket

So the butcher says smoke to 145 for med rare center.

All of you are saying temp 190 to 215.

That's a whopping difference. Is 190-215 still going to have pink meat in the center?

If you want to chew on a piece of leather, go with the butcher. If you want a yummy piece of brisket, go to 200-205 and enjoy it. No it wont be pink in the center. Its not like a steak. The brisket requires a long cook to break down properly.
    Arron W.

YS 640
    Primo Oval XL
    Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
    Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
    Weber Copper Top
    Old Smokey
    Orion
    Gasser
    2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
    24" Disco with custom burner
    Red Thermapen
    2-Maverick ET-733
    Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
    sigpic

Comment

Cooking to temp is only a guesstimate to get you close to when it's done. I've had them be done anywhere from 185° to 215°.
      I use the probe method to tell when it's done. Take a temp probe or wood skewer and when it's inserted into the brisket it should feel like it's going into soft butter.
      Then the other important part of the cook is wrapping in foil, wrap in towels and then letting it rest for at least 1 hour. 2-3 hours is even better.

JWWFM-YMMV
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseL View Post

All of you are saying temp 190 to 215.

That's a whopping difference. Is 190-215 still going to have pink meat in the center?
        I think there is some confusion here...Steak you would want medium rare...Brisket you would not. Brisket is a tough cut of meat, and if you don't cook it for a long period of time at low heat to allow the connective tissue to break down and become tender, you will have a giant piece of shoe leather to chew on. In order to make a brisket tender it will need to be in the 200° internal temperature range. Bonus if you get it there slow...super bonus if you rest it in a cooler afterward.

As a ball park estimate, when I do brisket I figure 12 hours for a delicious brisket and burnt ends. Some take less, many go a little longer. That is just my experience with my smokers in my back yard, but I can guarantee you they aren't pink in the center, only around the edges where a beautiful smoke ring makes it's presence known.
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Thank you both so much!

Comment

One thing to remember, after all that hard work, cut the brisket Across the grain, not with it.

When it's all done right, it's a great cut. If it doesn't turn out great on your first one, just learn from it. It's also one of the most difficult cuts to get right.

Experience helps. To this day I still take notes on my long cooks. For example, I've had briskets skip the plateau and keep on going. I usually get the normal plateau around 150° and don't be surprised if it then goes lower. Lastly, I've had them plateau twice which makes for one long day/night.
            Pete
            Large BGE
            Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseL View Post
              Your butcher is a bit confused about smoking brisket.

OR he has really, really, really, really strong jaw muscles and likes to work them out.
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                Your butcher is a bit confused about smoking brisket.

OR he has really, really, really, really strong jaw muscles and likes to work them out.
                Your butcher has NEVER cooked a brisket
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                  One thing to remember, after all that hard work, cut the brisket Across the grain, .
                  Absolutely NEVER forget this part...

I always mark the grain BEFORE I apply the rub...A couple of shallow slices going against the grain will set ya in the right direction when the cooking is done...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

To limit my message, I recommend searching the threads around the forum. But trust me, even a small flat of brisket needs to be cocked higher than 145. You have to consider the muscle and where it comes from the cow. Some cuts require more cooking than a steak or loin. Cook the brisket at 275, low smoke. Until the internal temp reaches 175. then you can wrap it or let it go to about 200. You need the higher temp to render all that strong connective tissue from the chest of the cow.

There are plenty of posting about briskets and if you take your time and read you will gain a lot of valuable info. feel free to contact me directly if you have any specific questions.
                    sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Either the butcher was confused on the cut of meat you were inquiring about or he wasn't the butcher but a guy from the checkout line filling in

Comment

I have run into too many "butchers" whose experience rests in cutting up wholes, halves or quarter sections & breaking down primals... but were likely all thumbs in the kitchen to judge by the advice they would give me as far as grilling went.

Usually they also had the particular skill of having committed the standard temp recommendations for R/MR/M/MW/W of every type of fish, fowl, beef & all in between to memory to spout when asked for by a customer.

Perhaps your butcher falls in this category?
                        ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Working...
                        X