Mad Hunky Steak Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad Hunky Steak Sauce

A short while ago, I posted the Ramen burger. Topped it with an onion sauce. Commented it might make a good steak sauce. Well.....I had to find out. It's a work in progress.

Started out with the intent to make a version of A1. That's where the raisins come in. You could skip those, but I think it adds to the sauce. Then I did a complete 360 and decided to make something different. Also didn't want it to turn out like bbq sauce. It didn't. It's really good as it is.

But it's still missing something. There's plenty of spice from the rub, but missing a zing that maybe only I am looking for. After scouring many recipes on the internet, some call for apple cider or white vinegar. There's some in the ketchup and vinegary is not what I'm looking for. Some call for orange or lemon juice. Not sure if that would be right or which one. Some call for prepared or ground mustard. My brain is saying this is it, but which one?

Rather than ruin it, I left it as it is. For now. Each time I use it, I'll add a little something to it, until I figure it out. Throwing it out there for you to mess with.

2 large Vadalia Onions
    1/2 Stick Butter
    1 heaping Tblsp. Raisins
    3 cups Water
    1 Tblsp. Worcestershire
    4 Tblsp. Ketchup
    1 1/2 Tblsp. Mad Hunky GP

Thinly slice the onions. Saute them in the butter. Good and caramelized. Put the raisins, onions and as much of the butter as you can get into a small sauce pan. Add the water and bring to a boil. When the raisins are plump and about 1/3 of the water is gone, blend it with a stick blender. Food processor or blender works too. Bring it back to a simmer. Add the worcestershire, ketchup and Mad Hunky GP. Cook to desired consistency.
    Attached Files
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Looks good. Send me one of those jars and I'll help you taste test it.

Comment

Nice work RR!
      sigpic

Comment

My son would love that Ramen burger his 2 favorite things LOL
        Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you only have today!

Comment

Sounds good. Keep us up to date on your experiments with it!!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking vinegar is exactly what you need. That acid bite is what I enjoy about A1. Possibly lemon juice, but then you bring in the lemon flavor, so I'm thinking white vinegar. Try a small amount in one jar.
            A few of my favorite things:
            Good Whiskey
            Good Food
            Bad Girls
            sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
            Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
              I'm thinking vinegar is exactly what you need. That acid bite is what I enjoy about A1. Possibly lemon juice, but then you bring in the lemon flavor, so I'm thinking white vinegar. Try a small amount in one jar.
              Mmm nice sauce... and yes...vinegar. Altho the Worshy, and yes..even the K..bring some. Try a cider..and maybe a rice...Heck..for beef...maybe even a red wine vinegar?
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Awesome Ray! Tamarind may be what you are missing. I would also go with orange instead of lemon. Preserved orange would even be better. You can preserve your own as it is very simple to do. You would have to adjust your salt in the overall recipe if you did this. Good luck!

Comment

Nice doins Ray! I think Cheryl is on to something with the tamarind, I think a spot if lime juice too.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Looks Great, Ray!!!

Worcestershire is a must for Beef, as Vinegar is a must for Pork.

I'm wondering if adding some sauteed Mushrooms in the blender late in the game???

I never blended mushrooms, but now I'm thinking about it, just for the added flavor.

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments. Knew you folks would give me some good ideas. I was kind of driving myself crazy with it. Had so many different ingredients on the table. Had to take a step back, walk away from it, before I ruined the whole thing.

Snarlingiron and Rich: I had the red wine vinegar in my hand, ready to pour. Vinegar is still an option. I shied away from the ACV for fear of tasting like a bbq sauce. In the future, I could cut back or even eliminate the ketchup and use a tomato paste, maybe. That would give me a tomato flavor and allow me to play with vinegars.

Squirrel: Interesting suggestions. Will look into the Tamarind. Have some frozen orange juice concentrate in the freezer. That was my first choice for a citrus component. Never heard of preserved oranges. I need to watch my salt, and was hoping to use items that most people would have on hand, or could get easily. Not ruling it out, though.

Mark: Lime juice was on the table, as well as lemon. It would certainly give it a zing, but wasn't sure how those flavors would work with the others. Plus, I don't want to overpower the great taste of those sautéed onions. As it is now, you can still taste them.

Bear: You must read minds. Who doesn't like sautéed mushrooms and onions on a steak, right? Mushrooms were a serious consideration. Didn't have any fresh ones, only a canned. Wouldn't taste the same. Had a couple beers in me, so going to the store was not an option. They might wind up in the sauce yet.

Interesting no one even mentioned any type of mustard. That's ok. I don't want it to be another knockoff of A1. Was looking for something new and based around the sautéed onions. And MHGP.

Any and all suggestions welcome. (Criticism too)
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

Hmmm... Ray..I have some powdered Porcini mushrooms in my possession... wanna play?
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Hmmm... Ray..I have some powdered Porcini mushrooms in my possession... wanna play?
                          Hehe, tempting. Fresh would still be best to keep it easy for others to make. Could dehydrate some too. Tone's sells dried mushrooms. Bought some from Sam's a couple years ago. Used them all. The last time I was there, they didn't carry it any more. They would be easy to powder. Let me see if I can find someone carrying them first.

http://www.tones.com/product?id=54
                          S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

Well, I got to try out some variations on the sauce. Grilled up a nice Ribeye. Opened one of the jars and added a few things. Here's my take on it.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...threadid=30426

Orange juice concentrate: It wasn't bad by itself. Not my favorite on the steak.

Lemon juice: Really good, by itself. Wasn't sure on the steak.

Balsamic vinegar: This was my favorite by itself. Thought for sure this was THE missing ingredient.

Nope. Kept going back to the lemon juice. Still think vinegar is what's missing. Just not sure which one.

Thought I had some red wine vinegar. Guess not. Have white wine vinegar and red cooking wine. May try those and maybe some lime juice with the leftovers tonight.
                            S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

Tried the white wine vinegar and the red cooking wine tonight. Meh. Really want to try the red wine vinegar. Haven't even tried any mustards. This might take a while. Definitely a work in progress.

Oh, darn. I have to cook another steak? Willing to make the sacrifice.
                              S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              UniFlame Gas Grill
                              Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                              X