What Pork Butt Ratio for Venison Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Pork Butt Ratio for Venison Sausage

Going to make 45 lbs. of sausage this weekend. 15lbs. fresh, 15lbs. hot fresh, and 15lbs. of brats. What ratio should I do? I am using venison and mixing with pork butt. I was thinking 50/50. Thanks in advance.
    Stay thirsty my friends!!

That should make a good fresh sausage. The only fresh sausage that I make with venison, are my brats that are actually 80 pork and 20 venison which I know sounds strange to some. My summer sausage is 50/50 and my dried venison sausage is only 30 percent pork.

Better get to grinding and stuffing. 45 pound is a lot of work!
    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
      Better get to grinding and stuffing. 45 pound is a lot of work!
      HooBOY! SOMEONE'S gonna be busy!

Don't forget to clean yer hands off once in a while and get some pix :{)
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I normally do 80% venison and 20% pork on my Summer Sausage. I have 50 lbs. to do of it. Not sure when I will get to do it. Maybe get started Sunday. Should have a freezer full by the time I get done. I had to carry one to the processor for snack sticks. Dont have a big enough smoker. Picking up this week. Going to have 90 lbs. of snack sticks!

Comment

Originally posted by ganny76 View Post
          I normally do 80% venison and 20% pork on my Summer Sausage. I have 50 lbs. to do of it. Not sure when I will get to do it. Maybe get started Sunday. Should have a freezer full by the time I get done. I had to carry one to the processor for snack sticks. Dont have a big enough smoker. Picking up this week. Going to have 90 lbs. of snack sticks!
          Sheesh, how many deer did you kill? They allow hunting with hand grenades down there?
          Keith

Comment

lol - that's not very much, king- one, two deer at most if the whole deer is used for snack sticks; of course, montana deer tend to be on the large side, with a potential for well over 200 lbs. on the hoof. generally, i only use trimmings and other "scraps" for jerky or snack sticks or whatever, and the rest is made into steaks or stew cubes, but even then, i can end up with a good 10 lbs of deer meat to use. i can't speak for ganny, but we can kill several deer apiece up here (one that is either sex/either species, then up to six, if i remember correctly, antlerless deer). currently we are looking at 9 deer total this eyar, if things go reasonably well - lots of work, but a full freezer.
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Myself I use 70/30 to 80/20. To keep it simple when I am showing someone I will got to 2lbs venison to 1 lb pork or beef. (usually 80/20 mix on this) If the venison is really lean and no fat added then I will add more fat.
              If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
              Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                lol - that's not very much, king- one, two deer at most if the whole deer is used for snack sticks; of course, montana deer tend to be on the large side, with a potential for well over 200 lbs. on the hoof. generally, i only use trimmings and other "scraps" for jerky or snack sticks or whatever, and the rest is made into steaks or stew cubes, but even then, i can end up with a good 10 lbs of deer meat to use. i can't speak for ganny, but we can kill several deer apiece up here (one that is either sex/either species, then up to six, if i remember correctly, antlerless deer). currently we are looking at 9 deer total this eyar, if things go reasonably well - lots of work, but a full freezer.

Although I am a bit picky about using anything with silverskin, an average Texas hill country doe nets me about 35 pounds of clean venison. I thought Florida deer were also on the smallish size. Sorry for the hijack....
                Keith

Comment

no hijack at all - in fact i think it raises a good question about yield from a typical deer, care in butchering etc. like you, i am extremely picky about how my meat is trimmed, and do my absolute best to make sure that everything is gone (bone, fat, silverskin, membrane etc.) leaving only pure meat behind. meat destined for burger/jerky/whatever might have a little bit of clearish membrane, but silverskin/fat/tendon etc is an absolute no-no.
                  Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                  Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

50/50 is the way to go IMHO,.....don't forget some pics
                    sigpic
                    homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

I like 50/50 for the ground bacon. 70/30 for just about anything else. That's my opinion and .02. Trial and error is the only way to go. You've got a good starting point. Adjust to your liking.

On our hunting property we can take 1 buck and 3 does combined. That means bow, early rifle, regular rifle and muzzle loader. At the new place it's unlimited does. Just have to keep buying tags.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

I had 4 deer total. I got two and was given two. These are Illinois deer. Much bigger then our florida deer. I was there last week for 5 days of hunting. Here in florida we are allowed a buck and a doe per day by law, but most leases limit it. I plan on getting 6 deer off my lease this year.

Comment

I like to try and keep my mixture to 70/30 to 50/50 deer to pork, depending on the fat content of the pork. I like to see fat content at 15% on fresh sausage and 20% on smoked.
                          As for Alberta deer, we tend to get 30-35lbs off a Whitetail doe and 40-45 off a Muley doe. Bucks you can throw 5-10 lbs of each. This also depends how your shot placement is and how your butchering skills are.
                          Greg

*~*~*~*~*~*

King-Griller Akorn Kamado
                          Louisiana Grills Pellet Smoker
                          AMSPS & AMSTS

Comment

70/30 for sure.I use ground pork buts for my 30% plenty of fat and meat
                            2-22.5'' weber
                            1-18'' weber
                            1 smokey joe
                            22.5'' wsm
                            24'' smoke vault
                            1-outhouse
                            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

i always go 50/50 with every thing

Comment

Working...