Rotisserie Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
    depending on what you plan on spinning with it, i would either opt for a Honda V-tec 4-banger or a 572 chevy big block... I wish. lol

another thing to think about too is your bearing/bushing setup(s). if it were me, i would opt for some brass or bronze bushings, then use stainless steel for the rotating rod. the dissimilar metals will act as a self-lubricating assembly and will work great for what you need.

as far as the motors go, i would also go with Grainger or MSC Industrial. either one would have what you need for the motors, as well as a gear box to match it. like others have said, i would size the gear box according to what you want to rotate with it. personally, i think that 139 RPM for the final drive ratio is a bit high, but that's just me. I would opt for something a little closer to 2-30 or so. think about it... especially in a smoker, that piece of meat is going to be in there for a while with indirect heat. does it really need to spin more than a few times per minute? hell... for a 1/15 HP motor at only 11.5:1 ratio, i wonder if it could even turn a whole hog safely. hell, at that speed, it'd probably start flinging drippings agains the inside of the cooker. lol

if it were me, i would opt for a 1/10 HP motor at 1750 RPM with a 80:1 or 90:1 ratio gear box. Then, for added fun, throw a speed controller (basically a dimmer switch for lights, but rated for motor use), and you can have even more control over the exact rate of rotation. by the time you are done, you are probably looking at around $200-$250, but that setup would probably outlast your pit.

Later,
    Andy
    I may opt for the BB chevy! But I may have a splatter issue.

The double 500 gallon pit, or pits, are headed towards rotisserieville. Our local welding shop owner, talked me into it. As far as the

You have a place that I can get the 1/10 HP you speak of? That is starting to sound like on of my best options.

Haven't gotten into bushings and set-up yet. Need to get the trailer ready and go from there. I'll pass these suggestions along to the welding guy. He said he has built one with a rotisserie before.
    Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
    Modified Chargriller RF
    250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
      How big a rotisserie you talkin about? How many pounds of meat at max?
      Well, it's going to be a lot. Two 500 gallon tanks. The cooking chambers will be 4'x5', each. Hope to get 6 baskets in each. Going to be a chit-load of capacity. I'll have to sit down and figure some possible maximums.
      Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

if you can get your hands on an old coal stoker gear reduction unit you can use just about any electric motor.if you know anyone that works in the hvac or plumbing trades they may know where one of these are.They are heavy duty and made for the long haul
        sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
        members mark upright propane smoker
        kingsford bbq
        23"weber kettle

Comment

Originally posted by new smoke View Post
          Well, it's going to be a lot. Two 500 gallon tanks. The cooking chambers will be 4'x5', each. Hope to get 6 baskets in each. Going to be a chit-load of capacity. I'll have to sit down and figure some possible maximums.
          Wow. Thats a big rotisserie. JimH mentioned a coal stoker reduction gear. I know someone that has one. I could ask him if its for sale. He also has other heavy duty reduction setups from various farm applications like unloader augers and such. For something that large, you are going to need something big. I did some browsing and most of them bigger rotisserie setups are using motors upwards of 600 inch pounds to turn them.
          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
            Wow. Thats a big rotisserie. JimH mentioned a coal stoker reduction gear. I know someone that has one. I could ask him if its for sale. He also has other heavy duty reduction setups from various farm applications like unloader augers and such. For something that large, you are going to need something big. I did some browsing and most of them bigger rotisserie setups are using motors upwards of 600 inch pounds to turn them.
            Dad said he found some that are 850 in-lbs. Not sure how many RPM, but sounds like they might be big enough. We will probably have to run each tank seperately, due to the capacity. Going to be one hell of a project. Looking forward to it, though.
            Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

These are specifically listed in their catalog as rotisserie motors:

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.co...erie_motor.htm

Pretty similar to what I use for my meat grinder.
              sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post

well that looks like the ticket, and not a bad price for an all in one unit
                sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                members mark upright propane smoker
                kingsford bbq
                23"weber kettle

Comment

I may opt for the BB chevy! But I may have a splatter issue.

The double 500 gallon pit, or pits, are headed towards rotisserieville. Our local welding shop owner, talked me into it. As far as the

You have a place that I can get the 1/10 HP you speak of? That is starting to sound like on of my best options.

Haven't gotten into bushings and set-up yet. Need to get the trailer ready and go from there. I'll pass these suggestions along to the welding guy. He said he has built one with a rotisserie before.
                  my main sources for motors and the like are either MSC Industrial, McMaster Carr, Grainger, or Craigslist. I got the motor for my horizontal bandsaw for $50 on Craigslist and it works great. 1/2 HP (which is bigger than the stock motor) and it's a Dayton, so i know it will last.

as far as the exact HP requirements, figure out the exact required amount of final drive power required, then figure it out of the gear box ratio to find your required motor HP. remember... the amount of torque in the motor is going to increase as the RPM's decrease. A LOT. those little motors you are seeing with the 100-200 in-lb's of force are not going to do much. those motors are in the 1/60 HP - 1/30 HP and spin relatively slow.

think of it the same way as a bike. as you pedal in the lower gears, you turn the rear wheel 1 time for every time you spin the pedals (1:1 ratio). when you crank it into the higher gears, you can spin the rear wheel faster for every revolution of the pedals, but it's harder. same deal applies here. it may not be the best comparison, but it's too damn early to think of anything else. lol

the pully idea would work great, as long as you can keep the belt cool. the radiating heat from the tanks, especially over the long haul of a 12-24 hr smoke-a-thon, can potentially weaken the belt. if it were me, I would opt for a chain and sprocket setup. that would be a lot more heat-resistant and it would never slip. motorcycle shops would have your drive sprocket, but i'm not sure where you would find a large enough driven pulley to go on your rack.

another option would be to merge the two ideas. in all honesty, i think this way would be best... have a 1/4 HP or so motor with gear box mounted away from the smoker, then put a sprocket on the rotisserie rod/rack, and the other on the gear box. make it a 1:1 ratio, or 1:2. keep it simple. get your gear box sized right, then run your chain. this will keep the motor and gearbox away from the heat, allow for easy change-outs if required, and in turn, should last longer.

Later,
                  Andy
                  Current babies:
                  -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                  -RichTee's Lang :)
                  Former Lineup:
                  -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                  -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                  -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                  -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                  BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

the pully idea would work great, as long as you can keep the belt cool. the radiating heat from the tanks, especially over the long haul of a 12-24 hr smoke-a-thon, can potentially weaken the belt. if it were me, I would opt for a chain and sprocket setup. that would be a lot more heat-resistant and it would never slip. motorcycle shops would have your drive sprocket, but i'm not sure where you would find a large enough driven pulley to go on your rack.

another option would be to merge the two ideas. in all honesty, i think this way would be best... have a 1/4 HP or so motor with gear box mounted away from the smoker, then put a sprocket on the rotisserie rod/rack, and the other on the gear box. make it a 1:1 ratio, or 1:2. keep it simple. get your gear box sized right, then run your chain. this will keep the motor and gearbox away from the heat, allow for easy change-outs if required, and in turn, should last longer.

Later,
                    Andy
                    I like your thinking. I like the 1/4 HP motor with the gearbox. Didn't think about the belt slipping, chain would probably be the best route.

I won't have to worry much about the heat, the entire pit will be insulated.
                    Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post

That would definately fit the bill. Should be able to ratio that down to 1 RPM pretty easy. Thanks for the link, MP.
                      Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

Ok, another question. Anyone have any recommendations for DC-AC converters?
                        Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

Ok, another question. Anyone have any recommendations for DC-AC converters?
                          depending on the exact voltage, amperage requirements, etc. you may be able to use a car battery charger to at least test your setup. However, since you are already dropping the amount of cash you have already mentioned, i would opt for a transformer-based unit. they are heavier and cheaper, but they TEND to last longer (no guarantees though). Inverters and/or solid-state units are fine, and would probably do you just fine also, but they are a bit pricier. they are also smaller, so you could easily place them next to your motor, or on the trailer deck, next to a leg on the smoker. or even on the leg of the smoker... lots of possibilities. Solid state units are also convertible between 110 and 220 volts SOMETIMES. if you can find it in your heart to justify the cost for one of these units, i would highly recommend it. you never know what power sources you will encounter while you are traveling.

the other benefit to having a 12V motor with a voltage transformer is that if worse comes to worst, you can always "redneck it" into your vehicle power supply with some jumper cables. not too professional, but it would get the job done if need be.

Later,
                          Andy
                          Current babies:
                          Former Lineup:
                          -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

Something like this?
                            http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CHQQ8wIwAg#
                            Might have to copy and paste, don't know if this will hyperlink.
                            Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

technically, yes, that would work. it's a little more "redneck" than I would prefer to see on one of my trailer smokers, but it would get the job done until the funds came in to get a more premanent setup going.

something like this is a litte better:
                              http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...urce=froogle_p

hoever, the ones that I would aim for would be more along the lines of this... more of an industrial-style unit that can take some abuse... remember, you won't be pushing much power thru it for a single motor, but if it is permanently mounted to the trailer, it is going to be getting some vibrations and bug guts thrown at it...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ACM...EF8?Pid=search

that once can do 120/240 VAC in, and will send out either 12 or 24 VDC, depending on how you have it wired. there are some that can handle other voltages also, but 120 and 240 should handle damn near anything you will ever have to encounter. That transformer will also handle up to 250VA (Volts * amps), which means that at 12VDC, you can push 20.8 amps, or run 10.4 Amps at 24 VDC.

remember, no matter how you plan on running it, pick your motor before you buy the power supply... here's what I would do:

1.) choose your final drive ratio. from teh sounds of it, you want 1-5 RPM
                              2.) choose the motor
                              3.) choose your gear box
                              4.) choose your gears and chain
                              5.) choose your power supply
                              6.) install the stuff and git to smokin'.

Later,
                              Andy
                              Current babies:
                              Former Lineup:

Comment

something like this is a litte better:
                                http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...urce=froogle_p

hoever, the ones that I would aim for would be more along the lines of this... more of an industrial-style unit that can take some abuse... remember, you won't be pushing much power thru it for a single motor, but if it is permanently mounted to the trailer, it is going to be getting some vibrations and bug guts thrown at it...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ACM...EF8?Pid=search

that once can do 120/240 VAC in, and will send out either 12 or 24 VDC, depending on how you have it wired. there are some that can handle other voltages also, but 120 and 240 should handle damn near anything you will ever have to encounter. That transformer will also handle up to 250VA (Volts * amps), which means that at 12VDC, you can push 20.8 amps, or run 10.4 Amps at 24 VDC.

Later,
                                Andy
                                I'm leaning toward the 1/4 HP, 6 RPM AC Dayton motor. Do those transformers convert DC to AC, or vice versa. I'm just trying to be prepared if I want to smoke somewhere that has no electricity available and I can run off battery power.

Would I be better off using a gas powered generator for electricity, if I'm somewhere that doesn't have electricity available?
                                Orchard Hill BBQ

Modified Chargriller RF

Comment

Working...
                                X