Review of Graef Navis N1 Food slicer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of Graef Navis N1 Food slicer

You've never heard of graef slicers have you ?
    Well neither had I untill a week or so ago.

Made the decision to invest some money in a slicer that would actually do what i wanted it too.
    The £40 job from ebay, works - after a fashion. But never sliced even and hated slicing cooked meat (which is kinda what i want slicer for lol). It could do short slices of bacon.

Did a lot of research, read a lot of reviews and eventually decided to chance my arm on a german make, Graef. On the grounds that they've been making slicers for 60 odd years and the average german hausfrau & jager, doesn't put up with badly made junk
    In europe germany is the byword for quality build and serious engineering.
    Also I've yet to see anything but a 5 star review for ANY model graef. Plus they are compact units and storage space is limited.

There are a lot of models in the graef range. But the N1 has won design awards and seemed to fit my needs. ebay price: £189 ($290), bit steep. Amazon price £133 ($200) - SOLD

It arrived thursday.

The front.

The back - note the 'floating' design that lets you put your tray directly beneath the blade. Nothing should ever end up under the slicer itself.
    Slices fall directly onto your tray, plate, cutting board etc

Is the blade sharp - oh yeah, also coated with titanium nitride, so won't need sharpening any time soon :-)

Lots of neat design ideas:-

Internal cable storage

One button pushes in to lock the carriage and pulls out to allow easy removal of the carriage.

Blade can be removed and replaced in a few seconds - with one hand.
    Remove blade and cradle for easy cleaning in seconds.

The cradle slide well over for slicing things up to 9inches in width - and if you want to slice wider, just remove the cradle :-)

So how does it slice. Like a bloomin' dream !

I'd never have tried to slice bread on the old slicer, but this one works a treat.

Had a couple of pound chunk of my sweetcured honey roast ham.

Bloody brilliant :-)
    Blade slid through cooked ham like a plasma torch through icecream.
    Can't wait to make some decent width bacon

I love everything about this bit of kit. From the push button that lets you do one or 2 slices or locks on for continuous slicing, the the sheer ease it can be taken apart for wiping down.

In short, I'm pleased as punch, happy as a dog with two tails, chuffed to bits, or any other euphenism for happy as larry you care to mention

If you're looking for a slicer and you can get a graef - my advice: get one.
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Boy that is one nice slicer, if I had that I would be happier than a two peckered Owl.
    Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Ducane 4100 propane grill
    Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Looks like a quality slicer Alex. I'd have to learn German to purchase one (and the translator on iGoogle isn't that good), so I'll have to stick with me old Hobart.

Tom

Comment

looks pretty cool. how do you sharpen the blade when needed........i noticed it is sort of a stepped tooth.
        sigpic
        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Great Review Mate!.... Looks like a fancy bit of kit..... I Like it
          sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure you do sharpen the blades.
            The titanium nitride coating is just a shade shy of diamond hardness.

If it does need sharpening much I'll get one of these
            But I have the same coating on a set of drill bits. Had them years and they'll drill through metal or wood - don't seem to get blunt and coating hasn't worn off.
            So we'll see.

I guess in a couple of years when it eventually gets blunt - I'll either buy another blade or apply a few strokes of a super fine diamond file.

Oh yeah it comes with a manual in about 8 different languages (english is one tom :-) and a 2 year warranty - which extends to england.

Given the sheer variety and low cost of slicers in the states and the large number of shops you can go in to look at them. Finding quality kit isn't an issue over there.
            Over here there just aren't placews you can go to see this kind if kit. And what you pay for what you get is ridiculous.

Now I've got a graef - when I finally get the food business up and running I'll definitely get a graef commercial model slicer.

But this little beauty will do me till then.

I've also sliced cheese and some cold beef with it :-)

Currently got 6lb and a 2.5 pound slicing sausage in the smoker (sat in the garden tending the smoker typing this) that's going to be real pleasure to slice :-)
            Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-30-2010, 12:22 PM.
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Does Graef make a slicer that is 60 hertz which is suitable for use in the United States? Damn fine looking slicer!!
              sigpic
              New Braunfels Bandera
              New Braunfels Hondo
              4-22.5" Weber Kettles
              1-26" Weber Kettle
              24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
              Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

dunno I'll look at the box. I find that most kit is dual voltage these days. I do know that graef sells as far as south africa.

Mine is 240 volt, 50hz only.

be a shame if they don't make us compatibe range. There are some nice slicers available over there. But this just so many neat little touches I think they'd sell even in the us market.
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  I'm not sure you do sharpen the blades.
                  The titanium nitride coating is just a shade shy of diamond hardness.

If it does need sharpening much I'll get one of these
                  that's what i was wondering, if they sold a sharpner........with that yer set to go.
                  sigpic
                  it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I still reckon it'll be some considerable time before it gets blunt. Titanium nitride is seriously hard stuff.
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

That is just one beautiful slicer CA...Kudos on your purchase...
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      KCBS CBJ

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        dunno I'll look at the box. I find that most kit is dual voltage these days. I do know that graef sells as far as south africa.

Mine is 240 volt, 50hz only.

be a shame if they don't make us compatibe range. There are some nice slicers available over there. But this just so many neat little touches I think they'd sell even in the us market.
                        Just checked on Amazon and it's not available here. What a shame as I'd cough up the bones for that unit.
                        Last edited by Mikey; 08-30-2010, 04:14 PM.
                        sigpic
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        New Braunfels Hondo
                        4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                        1-26" Weber Kettle
                        24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                        Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Sounds like your happier than a tall dog in a meat locker CA !!! Nice looking slicer, I checked eBay for the US and no one is listing them for overseas shipping.
                          --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

I know you can buy the "commercial" Graef's here but it doesn't look like the "home use" variety is available.
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Nice score on the slicer, CA! Looks like a real quality unit.
                              sigpic
                              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Working...
                              X