Don't wanna Burn Down the House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't wanna Burn Down the House

Hello, I just need some quick advise, I am a retired carpenter (motorcycle accident retired me early). I have built pressure treated wooden decks all around my house and enjoy them(several years construction). I have an Old Smokey smoker that puts out to much heat to have sitting on the wood decks. I am thinking about buying a MES but need to know how to use it on the wood decks. I have seen wood burning stoves with a protective piece under them but living in florida not enough demand for them for me to find out what they are or where to get them.please help, Thank you, Andre

there is a ton of folks on here that use MES brand products i am sure someone will drive by soon to help out

Bearcraver (john) posted a thread last week showing his MES right next to his log home and i suspect on his wood deck.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30084

Good Luck
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I have one of those protective boards it was meant for a pellet stove but I moved and don't need it in my house now. If your interested I could see how much shipping would cost and how much I want to sell it for(not much).
      sigpic

Comment

I have mine on a wood deck with no problems
        Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
        Weber 22.5" WSM
        Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
        Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
        Weber Smokey Joe
        GMG Daniel Boone
        Pit Barrel Cooker
        Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
        6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
        Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
        The Vortex

Comment

You should be able to find BBQ grill mats at just about any hardware style store that sells BBQ'ing equipment. I have two of them that I put down under my smokers/kettle when I'm cooking on my cement pad.
          Propane Smoke Shack
          UDS
          Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AndreC View Post
            Hello, I just need some quick advise, I am a retired carpenter (motorcycle accident retired me early). I have built pressure treated wooden decks all around my house and enjoy them(several years construction). I have an Old Smokey smoker that puts out to much heat to have sitting on the wood decks. I am thinking about buying a MES but need to know how to use it on the wood decks. I have seen wood burning stoves with a protective piece under them but living in florida not enough demand for them for me to find out what they are or where to get them.please help, Thank you, Andre
            I never ran mine on my deck, it was always on the concrete patio, but mostly because that was covered and the deck wasn't. I'm pretty sure I would never have a problem using it on the wood deck. The MES is pretty well insulated so I doubt it's going to generate enough heat to do anything.

If you're really worried about it, run down to home depot and grab 4 or 6 1 foot square cement paver stones and put the MES up on that. Problem solved.
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

I think Home Depot and Lowes carry mats for under your grill.
              I checked, they do.
              http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...y=SEARCH%2bALL
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Another option ..... Auto parts stores sell those galv steel (thin) large pans, like 2' x3' or something to put under your car when changing the oil or fluids. I bought one to put our cats litter box on to control the litter & it works for that also
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                  I think Home Depot and Lowes carry mats for under your grill.
                  I checked, they do.
                  http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...y=SEARCH%2bALL
                  Aren't those more for stain guard than anything else? Sure they're fire resistant, but I'm not sure they're going to insulate the deck against heat, which I think is the question at hand here.
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    Another option ..... Auto parts stores sell those galv steel (thin) large pans, like 2' x3' or something to put under your car when changing the oil or fluids. I bought one to put our cats litter box on to control the litter & it works for that also
                    That's a great idea
                    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                    Weber 22.5" WSM
                    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                    Weber 18.5" Kettle
                    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    GMG Daniel Boone
                    Pit Barrel Cooker
                    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                    The Vortex

Comment

Yeah go to Lowes or HD and buy a sheet of the tile backer board. No worries.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

First of all just putting a sheet under it is not enough, unless you like to crawl around on your hands & knees to use your MES. I put PT boxes under mine that raise my MES up 2'. Then I put a sheet of aluminum on that to make it easy to clean.

On the left, just beyond the white storage bucket:

Bear
                        Last edited by Bearcarver; 09-09-2013, 02:23 PM.
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks,

Thank you all, your answers were awesome, and gave me plenty of food for thought (as I knew they would). In hindsight I feel kinda foolish for asking such a dumb question. My top filled Smoker led me to not consider a table under the mes. Thanks Bear, I'm building a table with a fire-proof top now.

Comment

Thanks Bear, I'm building a table with a fire-proof top now.
                            You couls make a wood frame for the afore mentioned cement board...and as it becomes singed/greased up...just drop in a new square of it...
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thank you all, your answers were awesome, and gave me plenty of food for thought (as I knew they would). In hindsight I feel kinda foolish for asking such a dumb question. My top filled Smoker led me to not consider a table under the mes. Thanks Bear, I'm building a table with a fire-proof top now.

It doesn't get hot under the MES, but it doesn't hurt to play it safe. Any kind of metal on top of your table would be fine. Make it one that's easy to wipe clean, as sometimes upon opening the door, some fat drips will fall from the door drain ("V" at the bottom of the door).

Bear
                              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                              X