New member looking for tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member looking for tips

Hi new to the forum currently using a mes 30 digital. I've got a 15 lb brisket to cook next weekend on our family lake vacation next Saturday. Any tips as I haven't done a brisket on this smoker yet.about how long a cook should I expect all input is appreciated thanks

from Utah
    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
    Weber 22.5" WSM
    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
    Weber Smokey Joe
    GMG Daniel Boone
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
    The Vortex

Comment

Never used a MES...Think that brisket may be too big...

Bearcarver is our resident MES expert...Sure he'll be along sooner or later to help ya out....

And welcome to Smoked-Meat...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

from DelaWhere! Yup, Bearcarver is the guy you need to hook up with...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

from Florida
          Jim

Comment

I use an mes for about 70% of my cooks. Everything I've learned I've learned from Bear. I gave my 30" to my son. Because just as Bear said it would be, it was too small for larger quantities. I used it for about a year and a half before getting the 40". I did make a few full packer briskets in it though. Take a rack and lay the brisket on and see if it fits. If it does not go ahead and cut it cross ways. Not necessarily at the middle. Cut as close to the point side as you can that will allow both pieces to fit on the racks with some room to spare for circulation. Do not cut into the point itself. The point side will cook slightly differently than the flat side so monitor the internal temperatures on both pieces. Put the point side on the lower rack with a pan under it. I did this about five times and it worked out for me. Aside from the cutting part follow Bear's mes brisket walk through to the letter and it will turn out fantastic.
            Weber Smoky Joe
            18" Weber Silver
            22.5" Weber Gold
            22.5" Weber Silver
            UDS X 2
            Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
            Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
            Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
            Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
            Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
            Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
            Blackstone three burner flat top
            5" AMZNPS
            Vortex x 2
            Maverick ET 73
            Maverick ET 732
            Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
            Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
            Pitmaster iQue 110
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tenacious bee View Post
              I use an mes for about 70% of my cooks. Everything I've learned I've learned from Bear. I gave my 30" to my son. Because just as Bear said it would be, it was too small for larger quantities. I used it for about a year and a half before getting the 40". I did make a few full packer briskets in it though. Take a rack and lay the brisket on and see if it fits. If it does not go ahead and cut it cross ways. Not necessarily at the middle. Cut as close to the point side as you can that will allow both pieces to fit on the racks with some room to spare for circulation. Do not cut into the point itself. The point side will cook slightly differently than the flat side so monitor the internal temperatures on both pieces. Put the point side on the lower rack with a pan under it. I did this about five times and it worked out for me. Aside from the cutting part follow Bear's mes brisket walk through to the letter and it will turn out fantastic.

Tpo3,
              Vern covered the size part real good---Follow that to fit it in.

As for the smoking part, all I have is a Step by Step on a small flat (Below).
              Naturally a 15 pounder will take longer, but you should cook by Temp, not time.
              Get a Term in the thickest part & if you have another one put it in a thinner part.
              Get it to about 195° for slicing.

Link:
              http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32865

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks for input fellows

Comment

Great to have you join us Tpo3!
                  --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

We welcome aboard, glad you dropped in.
                    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Welcome Tpo3!!

My go-to tip for anyone is always the same, and has served me well over the years... Don't pet flaming dogs.

Glad I could be of service...

==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

Comment

welcome from the Az desert. Check out Bearcarvers threads, you'll probably find what you need to nail that briskit. He's the King of the MES here.
                        Mike
                        Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                        POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                        Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Welcome to the Mid-sanity
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Tpo3 View Post
                            Hi new to the forum currently using a mes 30 digital. I've got a 15 lb brisket to cook next weekend on our family lake vacation next Saturday. Any tips as I haven't done a brisket on this smoker yet.about how long a cook should I expect all input is appreciated thanks

Tpo3,
                            BTW: Below is a link to my Free PDF Book of most of my best smokes.
                            They are all done in an MES, and they are all in Step by Step form.

Check it out:
                            http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34823

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks bear I downloaded this weekend! Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                              X