Summer Sausage and snack sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Sausage and snack sticks

It's been about 3 years since I made any sausage the Bradley was just a PITA for me to do it in. But now with the fridge and this site got me interested in it again. Made everything from scratch. Sorry for not many picks of the summer sausage I'll try to do better with the sticks. Started Friday night by grinding up 3 chunks of round roast and two butts for 25 lbs of meat. Did 5 lbs of cotto salami from Rytek's book, used 3 lbs beef and 2 pork(made this before and we liked it) and tried 5 lbs of TH's summer sausage I'll post the link later.
    ingredients and cure, summer sausage on top

Followed Kens directions and hit with hickory. Did them Saturday night into Sunday morning. I needed the smoker for some butts Sunday morning so I finished them in the oven. Instead of jalapeno and cheddar in the summer sausage I just put in pepper jack(not hi temp). Only got a sliced pic of the summer sausage.

OMG Ken that summer sausage is amazing. Should've made it all that way.

Snack sticks
    This wil be my first go at them. If I recall I'm using Big Guy pepperette recipe, I'll look into that and post the link. They got 3 lbs beef and 2 pork. The wife loves the fresh chorizo I make, so what the hell let's try them as snack sticks. Did 5lbs of pork form them. Had 4 lbs pork left and 1 lb of beef, looked through ryteks book and well what the hell I'll try andouille as a snack stick. They all got the appropriate amount of cure. Mixed and stuffed today gonna smoke tomorrow.
    Andouille

Chorizo on top of pepperettes

Will update tomorrow, hopefully my experiment with chorizo and andouille pays off.

Went into smoker at 8:30 this morning

Started temp at 120 for an hour and then applied smoke for another hour and then started to increase temps slowly.
    Last edited by Ryan; 02-05-2013, 07:55 PM.
    sigpic

That looks like some great summer sausage!! yumm!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Looks real good.. I'll be looking for the finished pics of the sticks :)
      www.facebook.com/butchcolquhoun _____________________________________________

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
        That looks like some great summer sausage!! yumm!!
        This is some of the best I've ever had.

Pepperette
        http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...summer+sausage
        Kens summer sausage
        http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...summer+sausage
        sigpic

Comment

Ok finally done! Several questions. First the chorizo and andouille came out extremely dry. I added soy protein concentrate for the binder. I followed gunslinger tutorial for cooking. I'm thinking its something I did cause the pepperettes were fine. What could it be. The other question I got is this was the first time using collagen. They have extreme bite is that normal, and they kinda have a bitter taste. Just the casing, unpeel a bit and they're fine. Now for the review. The chorizo was lacking a lot of flavor, not like the fresh I make. Combine that with the dryness and they might be dog treats. The pepperettes are growing on me, they remind me of some commercial sausage I've had but I'm drawing a blank on which one. I cut the cayenne down cause I thought it was to much, it could have used it. The andouille is my favorite despite the dryness great flavor but coyldve used some more heat it was fairly mild. Waiting for the wife to get home to try them and give me her opinion. Any help is appreciated I wanna get this right. I guess I prefer a moist stick and maybe my cook time was to long
          sigpic

Comment

What temp did you take them to? How much fat? Did you ice bath them after reaching temp?

Just a few things I have done in the past while making dog treats,,,,,

I had some veni sticks one time that were so dry the dog would not eat them,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
              What temp did you take them to? How much fat? Did you ice bath them after reaching temp?

Just a few things I have done in the past while making dog treats,,,,,

I had some veni sticks one time that were so dry the dog would not eat them,,,,,
              Took them to 155 IT, the two that were dry were primarily pork butt so plenty fatty. Didn't do an ice bath, let them hang out side in 40 degrees for a bit.

The wife tried them and she didn't like any, said they were all dry.
              sigpic

Comment

Looks good from here
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X