Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rump Roast help

Hello all,
    As the name suggest I'm new to smoking. So far I've cooked one chuck roast. I thought it turned out pretty well. Even my wife who told me she didn't really like smoked food enjoyed. She liked it enough she bought me a rump roast and wants me to smoke it. I'm in need of your wisdom. What should I use as a rup, how long should I cook it, how long to let it sit afterwards? The roast is 2.5lbs and the smoker I'm using is an entry level Brinkman. Thanks in advance for any guidence you can give me!
    Last edited by Green Horn; 08-27-2009, 04:43 PM.

We need a little more info. What texture of final product are you going for? Sliced beef or Pulled/shredded beef? The rump roasts I have done have had enough fat to take to a pulled beef. This means that you will smoke it until it has reached an internal temp of around 200 degrees. The time this takes will vary based on temps. But 60-90 minutes per pound is a fair guidline. I would also wrap it in foil with some liquid once it got above 160-165 degrees internal. The rub is up to you, you could keep it simple with salt, black pepper and some garlic. Or you could get as fancy as you want. And I would let it rest for at least 30-60 minutes before pulling.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

By the way, welcome to the site!
      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

I've never done a rump roast but it will go a lot faster than the chuck. Temps at 225-250 like a chuck but it says 30 minutes per lb and the internal of 145 is considered well done. 135 is where I would stop but that's all personal preference as you know.

I would use whatever rub you used on the chuck and that way, you'll be able to compares apples to apples so to speak. It's hard to beat a chuck or a brisket though.

Good luck!

P.S There you have it, Wutang knows his stuff and has experience so stick with that. The temps I gave assumed you were slicing. Even at this age, I still can't always remember that rule about assuming LOL.
        Last edited by Abelman; 08-27-2009, 05:03 PM.
        Pete
        Large BGE
        Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

First welcome to the site.

I've never done a rump roast, but I have smoked rib roasts. I agree you should pull it around 135 - 140 tops, unless yer doin shredded beef, then go to 195-205. Heres a couple posts I found that may help ya out also.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2526
          http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2432

2 Weber Kettles
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
          Brinkman ECB
          Charbroil 940X
          Project UDS
          Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

Welcome to Smoked-Meat Green! Wutang gave ya good info... sliced or pulled. I'm gonna give a little seasoning advice.

You are gonna want to use a rub for the meat- a decent simple rub
            2 teaspoons (tsp) paprika
            1 tsp onion powder
            1 tsp garlic powder
            2 tsp brown sugar
            1 tsp cracked black pepper
            2 tsp Kosher salt

If using garlic SALT and onion SALT- drop 1 tsp Kosher from recipe

You could add a teaspoon of: rosemary, thyme, cumin- whatever flavors you enjoy if you know about them.

I am a fan of coating the meat in regular old mustard rubbed on, then shaking rub to completely cover meat. No, you won't really taste mustard, but it helps hold the rub, and contributes to "bark", that wonderful dark brown tasty stuff on the outside of the hunk.

You could also mop the meat during smoking- I use a simple 1/3 cup each water, bourbon and cider vinegar with a bit of pepper, brown sugar and kosher salt. Wait to mop until rub has set, or dried a bit..on the meat- so ya don't wash it off.

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Richtee; 08-27-2009, 05:15 PM.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

thank you all for your replys. I'm going to slice the beef. With slicing do you let it rest for less time? I'm thinking I should pull it when it hits about 135 - 140 for more of a medium cook. Richtee I like your ideas about the rubs and mop. Do you make your own mustard rub? If so can I get the directions for that? I like the idea of trying different rubs and different techniques.

Comment

The mustard is rubbed on as a base for the dry rub. You COULD additionally add dry mustard powder to the dry rub tho... personally, I'd add a tsp of rosemary and cumin to the rub I mentioned earlier, but some folk do not care for those flavors.

And for slicing a 15 or so min rest would be good.

Did you mean a mustard based BBQ sauce? Here's a recipe I have for that.

¾ Cup Yellow Mustard
                ¾ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
                ½ Cup White Sugar
                3 Tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
                2 Tbsp. Butter
                2 Tsp. Salt
                ½ Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
                ½ Tsp. Soy Sauce
                ½ Tsp. Tabasco Sauce
                1 ½ Tsp. Course Ground Black Pepper
                1 Tsp. White Pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend. Bring to boil, then lower to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.

TIP: I use a handheld upright blender at the simmer point to really give it a good blend and aerate the sauce. It makes for a much “smoother” finished product!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Sorry I'm a little slow on the uptake. When you said old mustard rub you ment mustard like for a hotdog.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Horn View Post
                    thank you all for your replys. I'm going to slice the beef. With slicing do you let it rest for less time? I'm thinking I should pull it when it hits about 135 - 140 for more of a medium cook. Richtee I like your ideas about the rubs and mop. Do you make your own mustard rub? If so can I get the directions for that? I like the idea of trying different rubs and different techniques.
                    Rich is referring to good old mustard. French's or whatever brand is readily available. Just rub that on the meat and the rub will stick to it better.

Rich's rub suggestion works well, as does Montreal steak seasoning or Tone's garlic and rosemary seasoning. It's really up to you. If you like peppery, I'd use Rich's recipe and zing it up how you like. I've done it all 3 ways and turns out great.
                    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

The boys have you covered GH.. It is common to slather mustard on meats so there rubs stick and create a good bark. Not everyone does it, I will on certain occasions. but for the most part I do not.

BTW... Welcome to the site.. Feel free to ask any other questions..
                      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

RowdyRay I agree with you on the Montreal seasoning. We also use the ones they make for hamburger, chicken .

Comment

For beef I would replace the good ol mustard with a good rub down of worchestershire. Then shake on your rub. And I would go no farther than 140-145 for slicing. AND always slice cross the grain for the most tender eats.

Welcome and good luck...and let us know how it turns out for ya.
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

well i little late to help you out ..the guys here pretty much said what i would say....so i will just tell ya.... to the forum great place to be at and learn a trick or two and always take pics ( we can be brutal about that especially bubba lol )
                            Mike
                            Oklahoma City
                            22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                            Weber 22.5 Performer
                            GOSM 3405gw
                            Boomer Sooner Drum
                            Maverick ET-732
                            Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                            A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

I will take pictures and post them when I cook on Saturday. Doc I plan on hanging around this site a lot. That is one good thing about being out of work. I will have plenty of time to read up and try some things out. I hope to find some good sales!

Comment

Working...
                              X