Hot, Smoked, Merquén Spiced, Rack Of Lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot, Smoked, Merquén Spiced, Rack Of Lamb

Merquén or Merkén is a traditional condiment mix in Mapuche cuisine in Chile made of goats horn chili, coriander seed, salt, and sometimes cumin. All smoked. It is wonderful stuff. Spicy and very smokey. I can't think of anything it wouldn't work with.

Rack of lamb rubbed with olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper, and heavily coated with imported Chilean Merquén. It is illegal to import goat horn chili so US spice houses are forced to use other ingredients to mimic the flavor profile. If you want the real deal, its Amazon or eBay.

I brought the internal temp up higher than many of you would for lamb but I've never been a fan of rare. No pics of the sear. I didn't want to over cook this so I never left the cooker.

Resting for 20 minutes

Dinnertime
    Last edited by gracoman; 10-13-2016, 11:03 AM. Reason: photobucket sux so I fixed it
    sigpic
    Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
    -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
    -AMNPS
    -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
    gizmos and hornswaggles

lmao - hot smoked merkin

Well the pronounciation is the same:
    A merkin is a pubic wig. Merkins were originally worn by prostitutes after shaving their genitalia, and are now used as decorative items, erotic devices, or in films, by both men and women. The female version is usually made of fur, beaver pelts, linen or some soft version of cloth, while the male version is usually made of loops, chains, or metal, and is much more closely related to the codpiece
    That's probably enough for one post

The lamb looks fabulous - but I just can't get past the name
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I wondered if anyone was going to pick up on that
      sigpic
      -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
      -AMNPS
      gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Point me to the sides!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
          [/CENTER]
          That is just awesome... cooked to perfection!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Perfect!
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Never had anything like that, but I'm positive I'd Love It !!!

Nice Job Graco!!!----

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

So I searched for Chilean Merquén, and Amazon does have it...they seem to be limited to this one brand.

My question...Is this the real deal? I see US spice houses have something similar but they mimic the flavor profile...here, read it for yourself, this is what they say...

That chile isn't available commercially in the US so, to achieve the correct flavor profile, we use a combination of chiles and smoked paprika. We handcraft our version of this customary Chilean seasoning by blending chile powders, coriander, smoked sweet paprika, salt and oregano.

Have you tried the US spice house versions? Is the Amazon product the real deal? Is there enough difference between the two to justify the large price differential? I'm intrigued by this spice and want to order some.

Oh, and that lamb looks fantastic!!
                BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

It is illegal to import a goat's horn(animal horn) but goat's horn peppers are sold here and the seeds are imported and sold all the time and have been for years. Most garden and seed supply places sell them. They are more common in Asia than South America. Maybe only peppers grown in that small region are not imported.

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/conte...orn-pepper.htm

http://www.rareseeds.com/goat-horn-hot/
                  Last edited by BYBBQ; 10-04-2016, 01:23 PM.
                  Jim

Comment

First I ordered one little bottle. Then I ordered another little bottle. Finally I got serious.

There are only two brands imported from Chile that I know of and Amazon has this one. It benefits from an additional trip through your kitchen spice grinder.
                    Last edited by gracoman; 10-13-2016, 11:05 AM. Reason: photobucket sux so I fixed it
                    sigpic
                    -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                    -AMNPS
                    gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                      It is illegal to import a goat's horn(animal horn) but goat's horn peppers are sold here and the seeds are imported and sold all the time and have been for years. Most garden and seed supply places sell them. They are more common in Asia than South America.
                      That's interesting and something I will check on
                      sigpic
                      -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                      -AMNPS
                      gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                        So I searched for Chilean Merquén, and Amazon does have it...they seem to be limited to this one brand.

My question...Is this the real deal? I see US spice houses have something similar but they mimic the flavor profile...here, read it for yourself, this is what they say...

That chile isn't available commercially in the US so, to achieve the correct flavor profile, we use a combination of chiles and smoked paprika. We handcraft our version of this customary Chilean seasoning by blending chile powders, coriander, smoked sweet paprika, salt and oregano.

Have you tried the US spice house versions? Is the Amazon product the real deal? Is there enough difference between the two to justify the large price differential? I'm intrigued by this spice and want to order some.

Oh, and that lamb looks fantastic!!
                        x2 Spent some time this afternoon calling local spice places.....no go. I may hit up a few Mexican grocery stores on my next trip.
                        Last edited by nickelmore; 10-04-2016, 01:39 PM.

Comment

You're only going to find the one brand( Etnia ). That Chilean company holds the export and name rights to that product worldwide( Chilean Merquen ).

http://www.m5corporation.com/Etnia-s/101.htm

"Etnia is a Chilean company whose products are based around the merquen spice."
                          Jim

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if one company packaged the same product under different names.
                            sigpic
                            -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                            -AMNPS
                            gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
                              It wouldn't surprise me if one company packaged the same product under different names.
                              I'm sure that's how they're controlling it's distribution and price to different places around the world.
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X