This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The question of sous vide safety...

This question has come up here a bunch. I have done some investigation, talked to some folks. I posed this question in a "blog of experts": "The 40-140 degrees internal temp in 4 hours rule... how does sous vide circumvent that? Alot of people have been asking me this, and I do not know how to answer it. The big concern is, and I quote from another site: "Botulism toxin is produced when the spores are exposed to a low oxygen environment and most active between 40 and 140 degrees. Seems to me a long slow cook in a vacuum bag, immersed in water just above that temp would be a prime breeding ground for producing the toxin." Input please. What is keeping us safe? These are valid points."

Here's what I got back: "The simple answer is that food cooked sous-vide doesn't spend enough time at a temperature where the toxin is produced in significant amounts to become dangerous. We should be concerned, of course: Large enough portions and too-long cooking times at low temperatures can certainly be dangerous, but mostly we're safe even with a certain degree of pathogenic activity. Baldwin's guide cites a couple of studies if you'd like to go in-depth: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html "

I checked out this website, it is VERY informative, and VERY in depth. Makes ya' think.

I hope you guys don't think I'm crazy, butt this is another way of adding to a recipe, and I truly love it. Yes, this is a BBQ forum, butt this method lends itself to our love of this craft... just sayin'...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

The question of sous vide safety...

In the commercial world sous vide (almost boil in the bag) requires prepackaged items. Or a haccp plan due most to C bot. If you are making and packing yourself. Long sous vide can also meet the pasteurization process. Which does render items safe. However the key we are teaching for commercial sous vide is similar to seafood. Know your supplier. Watch time temp abuse and if in doubt throw it out.

We also use other sterilization methods.
    Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Good stuff Phyl!
      Thanks for posting
      sigpic

Comment

Great post! Thanks.

"---Yes, this is a BBQ forum, butt this method lends itself to our love of this craft... just sayin'...----"

I often combine smoking and BBQ with sous vide.

dcarch

Comment

Excellent stuff. I have been scratching my head about this. I knew it had to be safe for so many restaurants to be using it, I just wondered about the details.
          A few of my favorite things:
          Good Whiskey
          Good Food
          Bad Girls
          sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
          Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Thanks for the link, I'm definitely going to have to read that.

I knew it had to be safe too, but I just can't wrap my head around why everyone is so up in arms if you mention smoking a non-cured {whatever} for 6 hours, but you can sous vide a hunk of steak in 130 degree water for 10 hours and be ok.
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

Glad I could help oot! Someone was kind enough to share it with me, so I'm sharing with you guys. That website ROCKS!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Thanks for the link HH! Great information
                Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                Frogmats
                Maverick ET 732
                Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

I've been pondering meself on purchasing a unit. That was my biggest concern as well. So I did my monthly fly by and seen this... Thanks Phil

Comment

Thanks Phil, that was one of the sites I referenced in my frozen pork butt debacle I had a few weeks back.

Lots of good reading.

I agree that this is a smoking site and I use sous vide as another food prep tool.

Most of my stuff ends up in the smoker or on the grill as part of my project.

Comment

Cool, glad this helped folks oot. Old post, glad it came to surface again.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                      X