Very Rough Jerky Smoker Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DDave View Post
    Yep, that's why I'm thinking open bottom, drip pan to keep grease off of the element, and low temp cooking only -- 160° to 180° tops.

But even at that it will only be used on a cement slab AWAY from the house just in case.

Dave
    These guys both had open fires in the middle/bottom of theirs. When they rebuilt the smokehouses, they did add metal around the bottoms, and one of them also put in a propane assist. I think having a smokehouse burn down was their kinda country "street cred"
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      it is WA law that every 10th home in the state must have one of the two.
      I support that statistic.

Comment

Remember BTU's here... and air movement. I bet you'll need more heat. PS- you could always trigger a bigger relay/SSR with the output of the controller.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I can get about 8 lb on the 5 trays in my excalibur dehydrator.
          And those trays are pretty close together.

Maybe a couple fans blowing air across the racks from the back - like the excalibur has, would allow more shelves in a smaller space.
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Paramount in a "jerky machine" is airflow. You may need more BTU's than you think. Consider this in the design.
            Working on a "box" of sorts that is very similar to this that will sit on top of my SnP and utilize the gas burner.

Question on airflow . . . if I were to use a variable speed computer fan in place of a chimney would that be too much draft if I wanted to use it for sausage or fish?
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working on a "box" of sorts that is very similar to this that will sit on top of my SnP and utilize the gas burner.

Question on airflow . . . if I were to use a variable speed computer fan in place of a chimney would that be too much draft if I wanted to use it for sausage or fish?

I have the same fan mounted in the top corner of a doorway from when I had my Woodstove in my Living Room. It used to help move some heat from the wood stove area to the Bed & Bath end of the house.
              Since it's variable speed controlled, it shouldn't be too much draft when turned down.

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I am not sure if I would put a fan on the exhaust side.

I would first try to get a "natural" draft started. Wood burning stoves have been doing it for years.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                  I am not sure if I would put a fan on the exhaust side.

I would first try to get a "natural" draft started. Wood burning stoves have been doing it for years.
                  True but the design has changed. It's not going to be vertical anymore. It will look more like this.

I'll take the lid off of the SnP and put the box on the grates then put a piece of "something that doesn't burn" on the open part of the grates by the firebox.
                  Attached Files
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

True but the design has changed. It's not going to be vertical anymore. It will look more like this.

I'll take the lid off of the SnP and put the box on the grates then put a piece of "something that doesn't burn" on the open part of the grates by the firebox.
                    OK Dave...Now ya done it...Ya got me thinking...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      OK Dave...Now ya done it...Ya got me thinking...
                      I was a bit concerned about the weight but I'm hoping it won't weigh much more than the SnP lid.

It will be 1/4" plywood and will hold 5 racks that are 16"x24". (If you clicked the link you will have to click the "Continue to webRestaurant button".)

I'll use the gas burner in the SnP. Since it's wood I don't want to fire the smoker with charcoal. Even at that I'm not sure how hot the plate covering the grates will get. My planned use is jerky and sausage so max temp of 150° to 160°??

This will sit on the open part of the cement patio and not underneath anything that burns just in case something goes sideways. We all know how well wood smokers burn.
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      -

Comment

Working...
                      X