Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Injected Pork Shoulder Experiment

COCONUT INJECTED PORK SHOULDER
    My Mother-In-Law got me some Bear Claws for my birthday, and i've been itchin to give them a whirl. So I picked up this pork butt Sunday morning. I looked for one under 7lbs in hopes I could have it done for a late dinner.

$1.99/lbs x 6.99 lbs = $13.91

One day at the store when I was picking up a can of Jumex for an injection, I saw this Coconut Juice. It's a product of Thailand but it's in the mexican foods secion at Fry's. I began to wonder how this would taste w/ pork. Both as an injection, and to finish in foil with. So yesterday I decided to try it...what's the worst that could happen right?

Here it is in a glass. Kinda creeped me out at first, but it's actually kind of cool. Little pieces of coconut in the juice.

I chickened out a bit and decided to go 20% Jumex Apple, 80% Coconut for my injection

Did my standard maple syrup in place of mustard, and then a heavy dose of my pork rub (in my high-tech homemade shaker)

After a good coating and injection. I decided to tie a string around it so it would hold a better shape

Here it is after 7.5 hours @ 165 degress. More coconut juice, apple juice, rub, and some worcestershire sauce

2 hours later, after reaching 200 degrees, and another hour to rest. Nice bone exposure (heheh)

Cool color on this one. Don't know if it was the rub, or cherry wood or what. Usually it's a darker red

Here it is Bear Claw'd. These things may be my new favorite BBQ tool. I shredded this whole thinkg in about 8 mins. Drastically reduces pulling time as well as burned fingertips. 3 people with 3 sets of these Bear Claws could shred a TON of meat in no-time. I strongly suggest them for anyone who hasn't used them, they save a ton of time and effort

Continued

This had a completely different flavor profile than my non-injected pork shoulders. My wife and I loved it. We'll see what the other taste testers think this evening when they get to try it. I'll be doing this injection again, and probably try it on some other meats as well

Give it a try, let me know what you think

Comment

Hmmm..I kinda like the sound of that. Yeah, I have a pair of claws. I find I'm too picky on "cleaning" the meat. By the time I get all the crap/fat/whatever out, I pretty much have it pulled it seems.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

My 7 yo likes that stuff. Never thought about injecting it. Thanks for the idea. It sounds like it would be good. Gonna try it.
        sigpic

Comment

that sounds like a great idea

GOSM
          K.C.B.S Member # 60786
          Digital Thermometers
          Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
          140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            My 7 yo likes that stuff. Never thought about injecting it. Thanks for the idea. It sounds like it would be good. Gonna try it.
            I'm anxious to see what others think

Comment

Great idea with the coconut injection.
              I have brined chicken in coconut but the injection sounds great. And that was a beautiful color on that baby!

Looking forward to the others opinions about this one
              There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

sweet. coconut milk/water is good. strain and inject. makes great rice also.
                the PP looked awesome.
                sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Dang!!

Okay, I have a question...

Is there a pork "butt hole" in the bag, or are they just admitting to a bad packing job...?

All kidding aside, I like the flavors and the looks of that!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    Okay, I have a question...

Is there a pork "butt hole" in the bag, or are they just admitting to a bad packing job...?

All kidding aside, I like the flavors and the looks of that!
                    hahhaahahhaha

Points for makin me laugh late in the day

Comment

That pork looks great! Never thought of using coconut, may have to try it out.
                      Kamado Big Joe
                      Kamado Classic Joe
                      Weber Simpsons OTG
                      "H" Redhead Weber OTS
                      Simpsons Smokey Joe Silver
                      Grey Smokey Joe Gold
                      http://smoothsmoke.blogspot.com/

Comment

That thing definitely has a great color to it. I really like the sound of that flavor profile.
                        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

I love coconut and pork, so this would be a winner for me.

I love the bark you have on that butt. Great lookin PP...minus the hole.
                          Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
                          Modified Chargriller RF
                          250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Well thats one injection I never would have thought of! Nicely done!
                            Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                            Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                            SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                            Yoder Wichita
                            Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                            Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                            Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Some things just don't sound right....and when I read the title on the thread....coconut and pork didn't sound to good. But I'm willing to try it!!! Maple syrup instead of mustard........might have to try that too......won't that burn??

Doug
                              www.nopigleftbehind.com
                              -----------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X