Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Cooking With Iron

Cooking With Iron If You Cook It With Dutch Ovens Or Cast Iron Pans, Here's Where You Want To Show It.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Home made pierogies...and creme brle
Last Post: nickelmore
Posted On: 12-15-2017
Replies: 15
Views: 153
0 Chicken, Orange and Ginger Sausage
Last Post: Slanted88
Replies: 25
Views: 758
0 Food Proofer Conversion
Last Post: nickelmore
Replies: 5
Views: 51
0 Poor Man's amazin smoker
Last Post: Blue Dog BBQ
Replies: 28
Views: 507
0 Casings, seasonings cheese and the like
Last Post: Blinginpse
Replies: 57
Views: 684
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,466 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,990 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 645,017 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Pit Master

sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All
sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All
Default More Weekend Cooks....Smoked Chuck, Hot Fudge Pudding Cake & WARNING - Green Beans

About a 2.5 lb chuck rubbed with RSS Bubba's Best Beef Rub and smoked with hickory on the Kettle.

Foiled it after a while and added an onion. Also threw some potatoes on to bake and fry for breakfast the next morning.

I let it go until it pulled apart.

The mac 'n cheese with MHGP cracker topping. Really liked that!

And for Wingman, I baked a hot fudge pudding cake. Rob, I'm real sorry you couldn't have been there to taste this. You have to try this even if in the oven. The recipe I used was for an 8" DO but it was fine in the 10" deep. I pre-mixed the mixes at home and put them in ziplock bags for travel and labeled them #1 and #2.

Bag #1 contains:
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder,
1/4 teaspoon salt

Bag #2 contains:
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons cocoa

When ready to bake the cake, I dumped Bag #1 into the lightly greased DO and added 1/2 cup milk, 1/3 cup melted butter, and 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and mixed until smooth. Then take Bag 2 and sprinkle evenly over batter. Pour 1 1/4 cups hot water over top, DO NOT stir.

I baked with 7 charcoal briquettes on the bottom and 14 on the top for 35-40 minutes or until center is almost set. Let stand 15 minutes; spoon into dessert dishes, spooning sauce from bottom of Dutch oven over the top.

Here is how I arrange the coals for the bottom.

Melting the butter

Bag #1 with butter, vanilla, and milk added

Bag #2 sprinkled over top

Pour on hot water

I imagine some whipped cream or ice cream would have been good but the cake was plenty on its own! This cake is awesome!! Some call it Death By Chocolate, some call it a Lava Cake...I call it GONE!

Oh, and Sunday was my Dad's 75th birthday. He wanted fried chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans. I did the green beans for the party.

3 1/2 lbs of beans.

Boiling with a couple onions, salt, pepper and a large chunk of joe butt.

Gotta cook them until that joe falls apart.

OK, that's all I got. Hope you enjoyed and thanks for looking!

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
Weber Smokey Joe
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
Pink Thermapen
Purple Thermapen

Last edited by sweet_magnolia; 04-17-2013 at 11:16 AM.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Seasoned Smoker

dsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To All
dsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To All

Love it.... death by chocolate can't be a bad thing! Great job!

Yoder YS640
Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
Frogmats
Maverick ET 732
Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Pit Master

Vermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To All
Vermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To AllVermin99 Is  A Name Known To All

Everything looks fantastic as usual!!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Lake & BBQ Baby!!

barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All
barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All

Very nice!... starting to warm up here as well... flowers in the ground in a few weeks...

I am sure all your guest enjoyed that spread!!

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
Yoder YS640
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber Performer
Misfit # 1899

Old 04-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Smoke it & they will come

Wingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To All
Wingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To All

OMG!

OK, I'm Ordering a DO today. Thanks for this outstanding post Becky. I have been looking for info on this chocolate Pudding Cake. You rocked it!

Rob
Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
SmokingPit.com
Road-Quest.com

Yoder YS640
Yoder Wichita
Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale

Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Fired up!

BBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To All
BBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Bob Is  A Name Known To All

Fantastic as usual Becky!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Another Dandy! ...... Thanks for the Green Bean WARNING!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Pit Master

tadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To All
tadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To All

Becky, you rock! !

Humphrey's Pint
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
Anova One Sous Vide
AMPS
Purple Thermapen
Maverick ET-733
DigIQ DX2
Misfit #1674

Old 04-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Pit Master

Zeeker Is  A Name Known To All
Zeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To All

Fantastic looking pics Becky. Just beautiful...
KCBS CBJ
Zeek
Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Pit Master

SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All

Great stuff as always, and I always enjoy seeing that kettle parked on the slope, or do you hold the camera at an angle?

@SmokinJim52 on Twitter
Old 04-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Smokin Bill

minnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To All
minnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To Allminnbill Is  A Name Known To All

Wow ,what a droolathon
22.5'' wsm
24'' smoke vault
1-outhouse
Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
Smoked meathead #135
Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 PM
I like meat

Squirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To All
Squirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To All

Just awesome Becky!! I love reading about (and seeing pics) of your DO cooks. You are such an inspiration! Soooo love the tire flower bed too!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Smoke it & they will come

Wingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To All
Wingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To All

Becky's cake got me hooked. I ordered the 4 quart 10" DO by Lodge today. Oh and the lid removal tool. I think I will order the big DO as well.

I'm making this chocolate cake and I'm going to eat it with some Gentleman's Jack on the rocks!

Rob
Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
SmokingPit.com
Road-Quest.com

Yoder YS640
Yoder Wichita
Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale

Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
I always enjoy seeing that kettle parked on the slope, or do you hold the camera at an angle?
No trick photography involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Becky's cake got me hooked. I ordered the 4 quart 10" DO by Lodge today. Oh and the lid removal tool. I think I will order the big DO as well.
You go, Rob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
I'm making this chocolate cake and I'm going to eat it with some Gentleman's Jack on the rocks!
You gotta get ya some good bourbon...from Kentucky!

Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Pink Thermapen
Purple Thermapen
Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Im Ross,I'm a Meatatarian

rbranstner Is  A Name Known To All
rbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To All

Awesome cooks!!!!!
How do you clean up all of your pans and smokers when you are out at your place? Do you have running water by the barn?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbranstner View Post
How do you clean up all of your pans and smokers when you are out at your place? Do you have running water by the barn?
I really don't have much to clean up. I try to prep as much stuff as I can before leaving home and put things in ziplock bags. We do have a 250 gallon water tank in the barn and haul in water every now and then...we can get 50 gallons about 20 minutes away for 25 cents. This is good to wash stuff, but for cooking I take 1-2 gallons of fresh water in with us when needed.

We also recycle as much as possible so I use a lot of aluminum pans in the kettle that I throw in the recycle bin when they get too messy to clean up.

For the Dutch ovens, I sometimes wait until we get back home to clean them up...depends on what I cooked in them. But if I need one for breakfast, I will put a little water in it and then set it over some coals or close to the fire to heat it up. They are seasoned so well now that it only takes a few minutes to clean them.

I carry all utensils in that I anticipate on needing for the weekend...knives, serving / mixing spoons, spatulas, tongs, etc...those always go into a bag and carried home and into the dishwasher along with anything else needed. Hope this answers your question.

Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Pink Thermapen
Purple Thermapen

Last edited by sweet_magnolia; 04-17-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Shoot it, Cook it, Eat it

RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All
RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All

Becky, the food looks great as usual. And that chocolate pudding cake.... I'm going to steal that recipe and make it up north this summer. Thank you.
S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
New Braunfels Bandera
UniFlame Gas Grill
Lil Chief
Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRay View Post
And that chocolate pudding cake.... I'm going to steal that recipe and make it up north this summer. Thank you.
Great! I did forget to give credit to where the hot fudge cake recipe came from.

http://chuckwagonsupply.com/rec0607.html

Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Pink Thermapen
Purple Thermapen
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Hunt it, Fish it, EAT IT!

WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All
WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All

Mad skills, lady....MAD SKILLS!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Cooking With Iron

Tags
chuck roast, dutch oven, green beans, hot fudge cake, pudding cake