Rebuilt a Hobart Grinder -Pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilt a Hobart Grinder -Pic heavy

I have been working on my new years resolution to finish some of my lingering project BEFORE i start new ones......

Scored this on CL in 2013. It ended up being a little bigger and heavier than the picture....

I have a bad habit of not being able to leave this as they are....so it got put on the refurb/project list at the shop.

Like most of my projects the research takes longer than anything. The interesting thing I found is that the front cover that holds the grease was sealed with plastic filler (bondo). The imperfections in the super thick cast steel were also filled in.

Some things I changed:

Rewired from 220 to 110
    Changed front Oil Seal
    Changed Grease
    Cleaned/polished armature and brushes
    New power cord (Long)
    Por 15 base coat
    Rustoleum "Hammer Finish" top coat
    Stainless screws for front cover.
    Replaced power switch
    Moved power switch to back for safety
    All the plastic filler was removed

Lots of beer was consumed while removing the old grease. The inside of the cavity had a primer coating so I was unable to use normal solvent. Final cleanup I used another 12 pack of beer and some water based de-greaser.

Inside the front hub after cleaned up. Tried to get the seal out in one piece to see if there was any numbers on it.....that idea did not work so well. Of course there were no numbers on it.

Left over por 15 from other shop jobs for a durable base coat

Motor specs..glad I found this. It was wired with a 220 plug when I bought it. It decodes to 110 or 220 v 1 means single phase (which i knew). I was thinking i had to put a 220 outlet in my prep area. The only problem was that there is no wiring diagram and only a couple of wire tags.

I have a #12 hub that I usually use, but I wanted a #22 hub similar to the one I used as I was a teenager. I am most curious about the rpm of this unit. I think my #12 turns too fast.
    I also have manged to collect a couple of heads.

I use a foot switch for safety when I grind so I will see which one of these works better.

I have a stainless cart that is a little lower that it will sit on so I can wheel it out of the way. Originality I wanted to but it in my mobile processing (project #12)trailer, but this thing is WAY to heavy to be portable.

I saved some venison scraps for test runs

I also picked up another one like this but it is 3 phase. Have not even looked at that to see if I can swap phases, probably not so I will just refurbish it and sell on Ebay.
    Last edited by nickelmore; 02-14-2015, 08:49 PM.

Seems three of your photos are missing, love the project. Wish I had a heated shop to do stuff like that.

PBC Drum Smoker
    Bradley Digital 4 Rack
    THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
    Miss Piggy Smoker
    Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

Originally posted by devo View Post
      Seems three of your photos are missing, love the project. Wish I had a heated shop to do stuff like that.
      Thanks, fixed.

Comment

THAT is friggin gorgeous! Beautiful resto sir!! Wow!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Great Job!
          sigpic

Comment

Very nice job !!
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
              Thanks, fixed.
              OK that is some impressive restore. Nice job.

PBC Drum Smoker
              Bradley Digital 4 Rack
              THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
              Miss Piggy Smoker
              Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

Wow. Great job. Any idea where to get new blades or plates?

Comment

They are standard #22 Plates and knives. You can get them at most supply houses. I have even picked up some used ones and had them sharpened/ground.

I picked up a new kife for my #12 at Gander mountain for less than $10.00 with free ship to store. I'm sure it was import but I wanted to try it.

Comment

Incredible job! for sure.
                    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                      They are standard #22 Plates and knives. You can get them at most supply houses. I have even picked up some used ones and had them sharpened/ground.

I picked up a new kife for my #12 at Gander mountain for less than $10.00 with free ship to store. I'm sure it was import but I wanted to try it.
                      I have this grinder but not sure what size it is.

I cant find any numbers on it. The only thing I found was 22 on the back side of the knives.

Assume its a #22?

Comment

Yep its a 22, I ground a lot of veni on a grinder just like that. With sharp plates and knives I don't thing you can feed it fast enough.

You can measure the plate itself as well.
                        #8, #323: 2 7/16" overall diameter with a 3/8" center hole
                        #10, #12: 2 3/4" overall diameter with a 3/8" center hole
                        #22, #20: 3 1/4" overall diameter with a 7/16" center hole
                        #32: 3 15/16" overall diameter with a 1/2" center hole

Make sure the center stud on the auger is in good shape and not worn.

Comment

Nice job! I'd like one of these but the price is a bit high. Got one here on Craigslist for $675. I think I'll holdout for a Hobart mixer and get the grinder attachments.
                          sigpic

Comment

Time well spent! I like it...
                            Sunset Eagle Aviation
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                              Nice job! I'd like one of these but the price is a bit high. Got one here on Craigslist for $675. I think I'll holdout for a Hobart mixer and get the grinder attachments.
                              My #12 is on a 30 Quart mixer. This one just popped up up on CL and I could not help but bringing it home.

Keep your eye out and ask around these are so darn big and heavy they don't move around too much.....

Comment

Working...
                              X