Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Cooking With Iron

Cooking With Iron If You Cook It With Dutch Ovens Or Cast Iron Pans, Here's Where You Want To Show It.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Reverse seared, Cajun rubbed, Mulberry smoked Prime Tri Tip
Last Post: HawgHeaven
Posted On: 01-22-2018
Replies: 18
Views: 167
0 Random BBQ pictures
Replies: 316
Views: 26,420
0 The most satisfying sound...
Replies: 17
Views: 274
0 1st ever Vortexing
Replies: 5
Views: 75
0 Thank You Bearcarver
Last Post: zombini
Replies: 2
Views: 47
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,528 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,205 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 648,773 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 04-21-2017, 11:05 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All
Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All
Default More on seasoning

Found an interesting thing a few weeks ago. Was frying up some corn tortillas for tacos and decided to use the Lodge CI pan. Only thing within reach (poor planning on my part) was some cooking spray (Kroger brand) so I doused the pan with that and proceeded. Cooked up all my tortillas and set the pan off to the side to cool. Went to wipe is out and oil it for storage and it was super sticky so I threw it back on the burner for a few to melt the oil and wipe it out. Figured it was a good time to re season so after I wiped it out real good I threw it in the oven upside down and turned it on 500 to polymerize. I've found through regular use that if I do this periodically it helps to maintain a good seasoning on the pan. Once it reached 500 I left it in for an hour and then shut the oven off. After it cooled I went to oil it and put it away and that's when it got weird.

I noticed that the vegetable oil I was wiping on was beading up. So I figured I'd heat it up to open the pores so it would accept some oil. No dice, it still beaded up like water on a freshly waxed car. So I'm curious now and decided to cook with it. This thing acts just like it's Teflon coated. Oil, butter, water, you name it, it all beads up on the surface.

I'm not sure what's in the cooking spray that's different from the Flaxseed oil that I have been using to season but all I know is it works and it works damn good. I've done a few cooks recently and it's still "non stick" and hasn't worn off in the slightest. I'm going to continue to use this pan and see how it goes after a few more cooks but this looks to be a winning combination.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 04-21-2017, 11:38 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Interesting, you might be on to something

Keep us posted
Old 04-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Great results...Great pan...
The non stick sprays come in handy sometimes...

Craig
Old 04-22-2017, 09:31 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Kroger. Hmmmm. Me thinks yer onto sumptin here...

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

keep my de-buyer & ci jacked up with grapeseed oil... & use canola...never seen that issue...

Old 04-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Pit Master

PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All
PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All

Most cooking spray is a mixture of water and oil, with an emulsifying agent to keep them mixed together. From what I've been able to discern, instead of turning to carbon like regular oil does, this stuff polymerizes, basically turning into plastic. That's why if you've ever used the cooking spray on baking sheets or cupcake tins and get over spray, you get that nasty yellow baked on "junk" that just won't scrub off with anything short of steel wool. I'm not sure if it's the emulsifier that causes it or what, but it's nasty stuff. You've pretty much coated the inside of your pan with a high heat plastic. Now, whether that's a good thing or not? I have plenty of cookie sheets with that crap on them, and it doesn't seem to affect the way they cook any.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:52 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitRow View Post
I have plenty of cookie sheets with that crap on them, and it doesn't seem to affect the way they cook any.
I have the most rust free firebox on a Lang in the US I bet because of that stuff :{)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:59 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Most cooking spray is a mixture of water and oil, with an emulsifying agent to keep them mixed together. From what I've been able to discern, instead of turning to carbon like regular oil does, this stuff polymerizes, basically turning into plastic. That's why if you've ever used the cooking spray on baking sheets or cupcake tins and get over spray, you get that nasty yellow baked on "junk" that just won't scrub off with anything short of steel wool. I'm not sure if it's the emulsifier that causes it or what, but it's nasty stuff. You've pretty much coated the inside of your pan with a high heat plastic. Now, whether that's a good thing or not? I have plenty of cookie sheets with that crap on them, and it doesn't seem to affect the way they cook any.
All oils polymerize before going to carbon. Some are more durable. Petroleum based is pretty durable, but not what you wanna cook on. I assume anything in a cooking spray’d be safe.

http://www.scienceofcooking.com/cast_iron_cooking.htm
Old 04-24-2017, 04:14 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Difference might be the higher temps used to season a CI pan vs. the oven temp used in cooking...

Craig
Old 04-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Pit Master

PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All
PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
All oils polymerize before going to carbon. Some are more durable. Petroleum based is pretty durable, but not what you wanna cook on. I assume anything in a cooking spray’d be safe.

http://www.scienceofcooking.com/cast_iron_cooking.htm
Interesting, thanks for the link Rich! So what you're saying is, the trick to cleaning my nasty cookie sheets is to crank the oven up to inferno and burn that shit off instead of scrubbing 'til my hands bleed with SOS pads?
Old 04-24-2017, 04:54 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Interesting, thanks for the link Rich! So what you're saying is, the trick to cleaning my nasty cookie sheets is to crank the oven up to inferno and burn that shit off instead of scrubbing 'til my hands bleed with SOS pads?
Well..long as the aluminum dont melt Another way.. some acetone typically will bust it down.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Cooking With Iron