Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations

911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here!!!

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Food Proofer Conversion
Last Post: nickelmore
Posted On: 12-15-2017
Replies: 5
Views: 49
0 Chicken, Orange and Ginger Sausage
Last Post: strength_and_power
Replies: 24
Views: 756
0 Poor Man's amazin smoker
Last Post: Blue Dog BBQ
Replies: 28
Views: 507
0 Casings, seasonings cheese and the like
Last Post: Blinginpse
Replies: 57
Views: 684
0 Safeway / Albertsons Ribeye Sale
Last Post: AJ
Replies: 6
Views: 106
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,466 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,990 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 645,017 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 09-03-2017, 04:30 AM
Fire Starter

a207769s Is  A Name Known To All
a207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To All
Default What stall? Now what?

So every pork butt I've done this summer had taken 20 hrs. All were 8.5 - 10.5 lbs and basically the same thickness so it made sense they took about the same. Put two 10 lb butts in the smoker yesterday for my sons birthday party today and there was no stall. Zero. Steady temp rise the entire time. They finished in 14 hours. It's 4 am and we eat at 2pm. I gave myself a four hour buffer in case they took longer. I thought two butts might take a hair longer than one. But nope. I usually foil and cooler them but now for 9 or 10 hours. I don't have juice because I don't foil them in the smoker and I tried a foil pan but the juice burnt.

I always maintain temps 230-260F. They were cooking so fast I pulled my probe out and checked it in boiling water. It read 211F. I've read comments about really stubborn cuts of meat and others that don't stall. But man that threw new a curve ball.

They were probe tender when I checked with the instant read so I'm pretty sure they cooked just fine.

I see my options as hold in cooler until ready to pull for party and hope they stay hot or I pull in the morning (after some sleep) and add some water/apple juice to the pan and reheat for the party. Either way I just need to have pulled pork ready for 35 people at 2pm or it'll be pizza delivery (or a really big Sheetz run, any fellow mid Atlantic folks can appreciate a Sheetz food run).

What would you do?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 09-03-2017, 05:01 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

I壇 heat up a cooler with some hot water, wrap the butts and put them in the cooler with towels filling the space. They値l be hot at least 6 hours. You can pull them and hold panned then. Check temps after 5 hours. If they are still 160+ you prolly got 2 easy MORE hours before you need to pull.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:53 AM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Or pull it sooner, fridge it, and reheat when it's time to serve...
Old 09-03-2017, 08:08 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

I'd go ahead and pull it, bag it in a few bags (vac bag if you have that on hand), then into the fridge. When it comes time, get a pot of simmering water going and drop the bags into it to reheat...

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 09-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Fire Starter

a207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To All

Well after 4.5 hrs in the cooler they are at 158F. It's only 8:30 so it's getting bagged or panned. Hopefully I don't mess up lunch.

Is it common to run into cuts of meat that don't stall?

Old 09-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Rub Mixer

zeroghd Is  A Name Known To All
zeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To All

You must have some stubborn butt. I've NEVER had ANY butt I've done take 20 hours.

Pan it and keep it warm and juicy...the guests will love your butt.

YS 640
Primo Oval XL
Lone Star Grillz 24x48
Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
Weber Copper Top
Old Smokey
Orion
Gasser
2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
24" Disco with custom burner
Red Thermapen
2-Maverick ET-733

Old 09-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Pulled pork reheats very well...
Follow Hawg's advice or reheat it a roaster (or multiple crock pots) if needed...
The bag in hot water gig will guarantee that your pork doesn't dry out...
Old 09-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Learning from the Best

DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All
DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by a207769s View Post
So every pork butt I've done this summer had taken 20 hrs. All were 8.5 - 10.5 lbs and basically the same thickness so it made sense they took about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a207769s View Post
I always maintain temps 230-260F.
Not much help for you today, but are you sure you're smoker temps are accurate? I do 8 to 10 pound butts all the time on my UDS and they take 9 or 10 hours tops. That's cooking around 250ishー.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroghd View Post
I've NEVER had ANY butt I've done take 20 hours.
Same here.
Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen
Auber Smoker Controller
Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88

-

"All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010
Old 09-03-2017, 01:18 PM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDave View Post
I do 8 to 10 pound butts all the time on my UDS and they take 9 or 10 hours tops. That's cooking around 250ishー.
Yup, 8-10 hours here also. Check your thermos... sounds like something ain't right.

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 09-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

I'd go with Phil & Craig, and Pull it, Cool, Bag, & Fridge it.

Then Heat it up at serving time, adding some tasty juices, like Apple.

Bear
Old 09-03-2017, 01:59 PM
Cookin with fire

Well I for one don't try to rush pulled pork...16-20 hours is a good time for me...I run the temps a bit lower in my stickburner and my pork is always moist and tender...
Old 09-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Fire Starter

I've checked my wireless thermometer a few times since I did have a meat probe go bad but it is always good when checked with ice water and boiling water. I usually see a stall that last for many hours. Didn't see that this time. I don't mind the long times I just plan for it.

I ended up vac packing it this morning and put in the refrigerator. Warmed a little in hot water but had not microwave some to finish it. Turned out pretty good. I was surprised. It wasn't dry but as it cooled it was dry which is normal but next time I might add a little juice just to help.

Thanks for the help. I won't worry next time that happens. I'd much rather finish the cook early than late.

Smoke Freak ..... Im with you as long as the end product is good doesn't matter how long it takes.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:05 PM
Meat Mopper

Eaglewing Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherEaglewing Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherEaglewing Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherEaglewing Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherEaglewing Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherEaglewing Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

I always cut my 9-10lb butts in half... first of all, they do all stall but cook faster than full butts; PLUS, I like the added bark it produces!!! more surface of bark, more actual smoke ring meat, and they are SO MUCH easier to "pull" seeing as they are small amounts to have to handle...

You might wanna try that next time since this seems to be happening to you with every smoke.
3 Maverick ET-7 Dual Probe Remote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:30 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglewing View Post
I always cut my 9-10lb butts in half...
Seen this? I dunno how you cut in half..butt...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...62979#poststop

On edit f段n Photibucket... I値l fix it..gimmie a few.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post

Rich has a Big Ol Butt!

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 09-04-2017, 11:51 PM
Meat Mopper

Eaglewing Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherEaglewing Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherEaglewing Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherEaglewing Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherEaglewing Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherEaglewing Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post

YES That's pretty much what I do and for the same reasons you gave in that post... (I posted in that thread a couple time)
I love this method, I did 45lbs for a 100+ people picnic, had 10 little 4.5lb+ butts in my UDS and it worked perfect... they were all done by 10 hours, pulling last one at the 12 hour mark.

a207769s, I suggest you try this method next time
3 Maverick ET-7 Dual Probe Remote

Last edited by Eaglewing; 09-04-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:27 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglewing View Post
(I posted in that thread a couple time)
oops..next time I値l look... jeez.. din稚 realize ya been around that long..wow :{)

Oh..and Ken upped the attachments to 10. That痴 gonna halp rebuilding old threads

Have I insulted Photobucket lately?
Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 AM
Fire Starter

I think next time I will try splitting the butts in half using that method. I had seen that post just never really worried about it. I'll probably start plenty early and see how long they take split. I really just want to try the split butt for the extra bark.

Assuming they finish much quicker than 20 hours I will vac seal and reheat like I did this weekend.

They may have just been being polite but a couple of people said they don't care for pulled pork but they said they liked it. And then they asked for more to be heated up that night for another meal. I have to admit that this was definitely the best pulled pork I've done since I started smoking meats (8 long months ago). I didn't use foil pans because I wasn't getting the smoke penetration I wanted and these had great smoke rings (not great compared to charcoal or stick burners but for propane it was good smoke). With the party Sunday and putting brakes on my dad's car yesterday I didn't get a chance to clean the smoker until last night. YIKES..... foil pans are definitely good for clean up. I may have to run this thing through a car wash a few dozen times. I tried lining the bottom with foil but that was a fail. O well, small price to pay for delicious meat.

I am hoping to have time to do another pork butt to freeze since there was very little left overs from this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes splitting it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations