No announcement yet.

Review of Graef Navis N1 Food slicer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is one sweet looking slicer - it should serve you well for a long time - nice score
    Scarbelly

Comment

Motor noise level

How's the noise level of the motor when using it? I've seen (or heard) the Waring Pro FS150 in action and holly cow that things is noisy. I know most of the cheaper slicers are noisier because of the lower build quality, I'm just trying to find something that is as quiet as possible. I've found the same slicer you have in the US but under the Chef's Choice label, go figure.

So if the motor isn't too noisy I'll be placing my order.

Thanks.

Newbie to forum.

Last edited by Kwakman99; 09-16-2010, 09:56 AM.

Comment

If you could post the link to the chef's choice job, that would be great :-)

Noise wise - like I said in the email quieter than a food processor but noisier than a coffee machine
        I'd say it was fairly quiet. But you can hear it. I've got to slice a slab of bacon up today I'll see about posting a short video clip for you :-)

ps. here's the link to the chef's choice models

Checking with the graef site I'd say all the models that say: 'made in germany' are graef. The models that just say 'imported' they're probably chinese.
        They don't have the navis n1 - but they all seem to have similiar features and build quality.
        Good prices too. Although none of them have the 150watt motor mine has. If I was going for one of those I'd probably pay the extra cash and get the 640

I looked at the 640 when i was pricing them up over here but it was more expensive and didn't seem to do anything the n1 didn't do (although I think the 640 tilts), and had a lower rated motor. That probably doesn't make any difference, but hey I paid less for more - that always works for me :-)
        At the price from that link - I'd say you can't go far wrong :-)

Noise of slicer in operation.
        [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rh1WkTPtT0[/yt]

On reflection i'd say it's probably as noisy as my food processor - which is a fairly quiet one lol radio isn't on very loud but the slicer definitely drowns it out.

Hope that helps.
        Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-17-2010, 06:10 AM.
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

CA - Cool! Thanks for the vid. I'll post the link but seeing how they only have 2 in stock I want to be certain that I get first pick if I decide to buy it.

Last question, do have to keep your hand on the "on" button to keep the blade working like in a pulse situation? If so, how do you find this setup?

Thanks

Comment

Just a quick addition.

Made a batch of biltong last week. Medium - dry. Which is how I like it. So the thicker middles can be fairly soft while the thinner ends get hard as a rock and take some time to chew down.

Ordinarily I vacpack it in largish sticks as it's a bugger to cut evenly and you just slice a bit off - carefully - with a very sharp penknife. The outside can get very hard and crunchy while the inside is relatively soft.
            The south africans use special biltong cutters that look like mini guillotines.

I thought I'd try the navis.

Worked a treat

This way I can vak it in snack sized packs, presliced to the perfect size :-)

Think I sliced this lot to about 7mm (.2755 of an inch - yep that's why I use mill's )
            It's thin enough to not bugger your jaws up but thick enough to give a good flavoured chew. Plus it didn't take long either.
            Attached Files
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Looks like a pretty nice unit. I guess if anyone here gets one you could be our Graef Counselor.

Comment

funny you should say that...
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

In short, I'm pleased as punch, happy as a dog with two tails, chuffed to bits, or any other euphenism for happy as larry you care to mention

If you're looking for a slicer and you can get a graef - my advice: get one.
                  Happy as a puppy with 2 peters?

Thanks for the review, looks like a great slicer.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                    looks pretty cool. how do you sharpen the blade when needed........i noticed it is sort of a stepped tooth.
                    7 years from this question - blade has yet to need any sharpening :-)
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                    X