Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Homemade Smokers

Homemade Smokers Be It Charcoal, Gas, Electric Or Stick Burner. Lets See Them Here.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Some Tenderloins and sides for the Olympics
Last Post: Mark R
Posted On: 02-25-2018
Replies: 2
Views: 30
0 Obviously love posting Food
Last Post: strength_and_power
Posted On: 02-25-2018
Replies: 71
Views: 1,351
0 Local Butcher Shop Prices
Last Post: Fishawn
Posted On: 02-24-2018
Replies: 4
Views: 46
0 Reheating
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 5
Views: 46
0 Yakisoba with steak and shrimp
Last Post: SMOKE FREAK
Replies: 6
Views: 61
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,583 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,375 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 651,771 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 12-15-2017, 04:13 PM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

Sledhead01 Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterSledhead01 Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterSledhead01 Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterSledhead01 Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit Master
Default Food Proofer Conversion

Hello fellow Smoke Lovers,

I have finally started on a conversion project after pondering several types of builds. I have obtained a full functioning InterMetro Food Proofer. The inside measurements of the cabinet are 56" high, 24" wide and 29" deep. It has two 675 watt heating elements inside of it. One is used to heat a water pan to control humidity and the other is used to heat the inside circulating air that is blown with a small squirrel cage fan. This fan can be run independently with out any of the heat sources on.

The cabinet is between 23 and 24 cubic feet. I have built 11 rack of regular mild steel expanded metal (Stainless was WAY to expensive) that are 18" x 24", so have 4752 sq inches of rack space if all are utilized. The unit will primarily be used for smoking jerky and sausage.

I have gone the 220v route, and have over 4000 watts of heating power inside. For the heating elements I went with two stove top burners. A 8" 2600 watt and a 6" 1500 watt. I know this is more than what is needed but will ensure quick warm ups and fast recoveries when the door gets opened. Plus If I do not insulate it right away I should easily still be able to smoke in cold temps. I have also confirmed there is already an existing 220v outlet in the building where the smoker will call home.

I am using an Auberins SMD-200 PID and a 40 amp SSR with a heat sink.

The door is insulated with Roxul and lined with aluminum to protect the polycarbonate window from the inside heat. The burners are installed and the control box mounted. Did a test run today and the controller worked great, set the temp. to 175 and slowly ramped up to it and held it there to within 1 to 2 degree +/-. All that is left is to cut the holes for the chimney and the air intakes and put in the permanent wiring to tidy up the electrical. Planning to have the first batch of jerky in it the beginning of January. I am anticipating setting my temps to about 190 to 200 when I am smoking.
Very happy with how it works so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smkr2.jpg (25.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20161109_191931.jpg (37.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20161207_162218.jpg (21.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20171130_203933.jpg (83.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20171214_134208.jpg (36.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20171214_140222.jpg (36.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20171214_134216.jpg (19.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20171214_134115.jpg (23.5 KB, 41 views)

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 12-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Wrap it in bacon

Blue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To All
Blue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To All

That's awesome. Would that qualify as NSF and restaurant usage? Nice work.

Sent from my A573VC using Tapatalk

Weber 22.5 kettle
Smokin in the Smokies
Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
Jerry
Old 12-15-2017, 06:18 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog BBQ View Post
That's awesome. Would that qualify as NSF and restaurant usage? Nice work.
It would require an inspection and exception. But..prolly..unless ya get an arsehole for an inspector

Oh- welcome to smoked-Meat. Say hi in the intro section :{)
Old 12-15-2017, 06:19 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Err... well it maybe be different in Canuckia...
Old 12-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Wrap it in bacon

That would be perfect for a restaurant that didn't specialize in but served BBQ.

Sent from my A573VC using Tapatalk

Weber 22.5 kettle
Smokin in the Smokies
Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
Jerry
Old 12-15-2017, 07:17 PM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

Great looking build, please stop by the intro thread.

I will have to look at that PID, I like the looks of that one.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:26 AM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

Sledhead01 Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterSledhead01 Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterSledhead01 Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterSledhead01 Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelmore View Post
Great looking build, please stop by the intro thread.

I will have to look at that PID, I like the looks of that one.
All of the controller components were purchased from Auberins except for the box which I sourced locally. They were great to deal with, very knowledgable and helpful as I contacted them several times throughout the build. I purchased the components as a DIY kit and did all of the assembly and wiring work myself.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:21 AM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead01 View Post
All of the controller components were purchased from Auberins except for the box which I sourced locally. They were great to deal with, very knowledgable and helpful as I contacted them several times throughout the build. I purchased the components as a DIY kit and did all of the assembly and wiring work myself.
Wireing and layout look great. I like auberins, a little more money but they back it up with great knowledge and support.

Did you wire the fan on a switch, temp or constant?

What did you do for an exhaust?
Old 12-16-2017, 10:12 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

sounds like a brilliant unit.

I tend to do jerky around the 130-140 mark.
makes it more like jerky and less like plain cooked meat :-)

Given the insulation and 4000watts. You should be able to get way higher temps than 200 without any problems.

Just don't use the water bath.

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 12-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Pit Masters Assistant

Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All

Thats a fine looking unit you built Sled

Old 12-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Hunt it, Fish it, EAT IT!

WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All
WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All

Sled,
Welcome! That is AWESOME!! Love it! Some crazy good thinking and engineering on that bad boy.

Build fo sho!
Old 12-17-2017, 11:56 AM
miss ya gary....

chefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To All
chefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To All

nice build........and welcome

it's all good my friend..........
Old 12-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

TKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To All
TKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllTKOBBQ Is  A Name Known To All

Welcome aboard, that's a really good looking build.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Homemade Smokers