Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Prime Rib
Last Post: HawgHeaven
Posted On: 02-24-2018
Replies: 30
Views: 380
0 SWBEFPB.......southw estern........burnt. .....ends. ....from.......
Last Post: THE ICEMAN
Replies: 24
Views: 280
0 A Smoked Chuck n Tatoe Pie
Last Post: THE ICEMAN
Replies: 12
Views: 116
0 Pork Belly/Bacon Question
Last Post: Richtee
Replies: 2
Views: 33
0 New Member From Fuquay Varina, NC
Last Post: Smooth E Smoke
Posted On: 02-23-2018
Replies: 12
Views: 109
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,581 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,370 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 651,691 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 01-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Fire Starter

a207769s Is  A Name Known To All
a207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To Alla207769s Is  A Name Known To All
Default Heat shield

I had filled my water pan in my Masterbuilt with sand and it seemed to work ok but when I do something large like ribs or a pork butt that overhangs that pan the overhanging meat gets cooked way faster because of the heat coming around the pan. I was going to try putting a piece of steel in there as a heat shield.

Few questions:
- Should I add the heat shield and keep the pan of sand? I was going to NOT use the pan. Just the heat shield.

- What thickness steel? Do I need something like 1/8" or is something thinner like 22 ga OK just knowing it will warp?

- Cut/drill holes in the shield or leave solid? Wood chunk pan sits on the burner but I dont plan on smoking in this unless it is cold smoking with an Amaz'n product which I figured I can just sit in there. I'm thinking the main use will be to finish pork butts and other large cuts in after the 26'r depletes its snake.

Thanks!

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 01-23-2018, 10:23 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by a207769s View Post
I had filled my water pan in my Masterbuilt with sand and it seemed to work ok but when I do something large like ribs or a pork butt that overhangs that pan the overhanging meat gets cooked way faster because of the heat coming around the pan. I was going to try putting a piece of steel in there as a heat shield.

Few questions:
- Should I add the heat shield and keep the pan of sand? I was going to NOT use the pan. Just the heat shield.

- What thickness steel? Do I need something like 1/8" or is something thinner like 22 ga OK just knowing it will warp?

- Cut/drill holes in the shield or leave solid? Wood chunk pan sits on the burner but I dont plan on smoking in this unless it is cold smoking with an Amaz'n product which I figured I can just sit in there. I'm thinking the main use will be to finish pork butts and other large cuts in after the 26'r depletes its snake.

Thanks!
No Heat Shield expert by any means here, butt I have seen some builds or mods that did have holes drilled in them. Makes sense to drill the holes in it to me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Propane