No announcement yet.

Calling all Philly natives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of years ago, the roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe at Dinic's in Philly was voted the best sandwich in the country.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
      A couple of years ago, the roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe at Dinic's in Philly was voted the best sandwich in the country.

I'll bet the Pigs didn't vote & the Cows & Chickens stuffed the Ballot Box!!!

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Ronan View Post
        My little project has been put back a bit as have been sick as a dog and surviving on tinned chicken soup.Heard about the roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe but some people seem to think the rabe is very bitter.Maybe when im back on my feet and have the bread roll recipe down i will give it a try.Think i may have a partial shoulder in the freezer :)
        Get well soon

Cooking in boiling water before cooking helps reduce the bitterness but the bite is a good thing on the sandwich so Yes the Rabe can be a bit bitter and I'm not usually a fan if eaten by itself, but works out well on the sandwich.

Comment

I love broccoli rabe! Never put it on a sandwich tho... gotta try that!

My cheese steak go to is onions, shrooms, and red or yellow bell peppers, sauteed in a good olive oil, salt and pepper, and a good provolone cheese. Chop the veggies and steak as you are cooking to mix it all together. Add a splash of beef broth or beef gravy, right before the cheese, lid it for a bit, just to get that cheese melted. Install it all on a good roll. It ain't Philly, it's PhilLee. Gold.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Very nice gift, Love fishing in the pickeral river.

Comment

You may want to get ya a sourdough starter going. I started a new one last fall using the yeast off of grapes although its not neccesary. Just a plain ol flour and water set out in the open will work but by experimenting with just one recipe, I'm getting just that, a nice soft but durable/chewy and delicious bread..

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
                Recipe courtesy Conshohocken Italian Bakery. It don't git no better than that.
                While amoroso rolls are ok, "Conshy" rolls are the best!! Below is a link to their web site, take a look at the rolls, there is almost a shine to them. It will also give you an idea about how many different rolls there are around here for just a sandwich!!

http://www.conshybakery.com/best-bak...s/bakery-rolls

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                Years ago John Pizza in Malvern Pa was my go to place.
                Not saying this to upset you...John's pizza is still around, they don't do delivery, but they are 10 minutes from where I work. Will have to check them out! If they had delivery it would be my lunch today!!!

If you check out their menu it is basically the same menu as probably thousand of pizza joints around here...

http://johnspizzaonline.com/johns-menu.pdf
                Mustang electric smoker
                King Kooker vertical gasser
                Charbroil silver smoker
                Earnhardt Jr smoker
                Brinkman smoke n' grill
                a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Now to the main question about cheesesteaks. While I won't go back to Pat's or Gino's, I think that if you were visiting, you should try one of theirs first, just to establish a baseline that goes up from there. I think most shops around here use ribeye or sirloin. I think Top Round comes out too much like a roast beef sandwich. As far as ingredients, that's up to you, most around here do choose fried onions but mushrooms, peppers are common also. I'm kind of a naturalist when it comes to this, just a cheesesteak with some mayo and maybe ketchup. Once in awhile I'll go in for a pizza steak which is just made with pizza sauce and mozzarella. Usually I choose American or provolone, but don't get the sharp provolone, just the cheaper sandwich stuff. Many ask for hots or sweets on the side which are just a small dish of kind of pickled hot or sweet peppers. There are also those few types that like this hard, seeded, break a tooth roll. I can't stand them, you almost have to rip the bite off. An example of these comes from Primo Hoagies which actually have quite a few franchises in East Coast states...
                  https://www.primohoagies.com/

Big thing is slicing that meat thin, when it hits the griddle, start pulling it apart or almost chopped actually. When almost done, add whatever you're adding in, fr on, shrooms, etc, then form it into the shape of your roll, but as if the roll was spread open, lay your slices of cheese on top, the your roll. wait a minute for the cheese to melt, use your spatula underneath the meat and quick flip the whole thing over. Walla! Some people will order a cheesesteak hoagie where after in the roll, add lettuce and tomatoes and raw onion (no fried on this). Purists will poo poo on this one.

Here is a link to another roll recipe from a guy who has conferred with the Conshy bakery on making these rolls out in Seattle for home use...similar to the other one above.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/214...n-hoagie-rolls
                  Mustang electric smoker
                  Charbroil silver smoker
                  Earnhardt Jr smoker
                  Brinkman smoke n' grill

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Originally posted by shellbellc View Post
                    Now to the main question about cheesesteaks. While I won't go back to Pat's or Gino's, I think that if you were visiting, you should try one of theirs first, just to establish a baseline that goes up from there. I think most shops around here use ribeye or sirloin. I think Top Round comes out too much like a roast beef sandwich. As far as ingredients, that's up to you, most around here do choose fried onions but mushrooms, peppers are common also. I'm kind of a naturalist when it comes to this, just a cheesesteak with some mayo and maybe ketchup. Once in awhile I'll go in for a pizza steak which is just made with pizza sauce and mozzarella. Usually I choose American or provolone, but don't get the sharp provolone, just the cheaper sandwich stuff. Many ask for hots or sweets on the side which are just a small dish of kind of pickled hot or sweet peppers. There are also those few types that like this hard, seeded, break a tooth roll. I can't stand them, you almost have to rip the bite off. An example of these comes from Primo Hoagies which actually have quite a few franchises in East Coast states...

https://www.primohoagies.com/

Big thing is slicing that meat thin, when it hits the griddle, start pulling it apart or almost chopped actually. When almost done, add whatever you're adding in, fr on, shrooms, etc, then form it into the shape of your roll, but as if the roll was spread open, lay your slices of cheese on top, the your roll. wait a minute for the cheese to melt, use your spatula underneath the meat and quick flip the whole thing over. Walla! Some people will order a cheesesteak hoagie where after in the roll, add lettuce and tomatoes and raw onion (no fried on this). Purists will poo poo on this one.

Here is a link to another roll recipe from a guy who has conferred with the Conshy bakery on making these rolls out in Seattle for home use...similar to the other one above.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/214...n-hoagie-rolls

So all this cheesesteak talk had me craving one. The joint I ordered from use porterhouse and tbone according to their menu. I ordered it with fr on, but it reminded me of why I like it without. Steak was very steaky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Mustang electric smoker
                    Charbroil silver smoker
                    Earnhardt Jr smoker
                    Brinkman smoke n' grill

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

So all this cheesesteak talk had me craving one. The joint I ordered from use porterhouse and tbone according to their menu. I ordered it with fr on, but it reminded me of why I like it without. Steak was very steaky!

Jeezus Shell, yer killin' me...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Now I remember why I'm FAT!

Comment

I couldn't take all the chessesteak thoughts!!! I had to satisfy the crave. Luckily you two can easily get yourself one!! I only ate half, actually not even the whole half, a couple of French fries because when you get delivery they are never still warm...

The other thing I wanted to mention about cheesesteaks is I like a good cheesesteak Stromboli any day and you don't need to worry about the roll with that...
                          Mustang electric smoker
                          Charbroil silver smoker
                          Earnhardt Jr smoker
                          Brinkman smoke n' grill

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Sweet Jesus that looks great... love philly steaks... nothing like that in ohio...
                            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                            Yoder YS640
                            Weber Genesis
                            Weber 18.5" Kettle
                            Weber Performer
                            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Holy Bejesus that looks great!
                              Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                              Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                              A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                              A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                              Frogmats
                              Maverick ET 732
                              Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Shoulda told me---I coulda ate the other half, Shell !!

Oh Well---Shoulda--Coulda--Woulda!!!!

Bear
                                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                                X