Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$4.99 lb Whole Boneless Ribeye..... Count Me In!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruising Albertsons today..... Ribeye steaks were $13.49 lb
    sigpic

Comment

You're not the only one that can find a bargain...

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      $4.99 lb Whole Boneless Ribeye..... Count Me In!
      HAH!!! You think that's a deal???

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
      Paul

Comment

Local meat shop had whole boneless Ribeye on sale @ $4.99 lb.
        hot damn, that just might make a trip to Oly worthwhile! I was at the local supermarket saturday and was strolling through the meat department like I always do, Ribeyes were $12.99/lb and NY strip was $14.99/lb.

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
        Maybe this will help. Here in Oregon we have some of the best crab in the nation. It is Dungenous crab it is f'n delicious and doesn't need to be covered up with old bay like the blues from back east. Problem is unless you go drop the pots yourself it is very very expensive. The reason why is most of the commercial producers have deals with China. It is a delicacy there. They are willing to pay a huge premium so they get about 2/3 of catch. Which in turn drives up the cost for locals because of the rules of supply and demand. What you describe as one of "the top producer of fat cattle in the country" could be doing the same thing. If they can get better money shipping a product away than keeping it local they will do so. I am not saying a foreign land, but say a closer larger metro area that uses a lot of meat like K.C. or Vegas. Again this lowers supply and raises prices for the locals.

Just a thought.
        Same thing with Oysters/Clams around here, and Fish is usually spendy as well.

I buy 90% of the meat in our house, with the exception of the ground beef from Costco the wife unit brings home. She used to buy the thin sliced pork loin steaks at Fred Meyer..... $4.99 a $5.99 lb. Now, I buy the whole pork loins at Cash and Carry for under $2.00 lb. Cut steaks, trim and vac pack... nice to have a stash in the freezer, and save the trim for sausage.
        Along the same lines, I've heard from a few reliable sources that despite the proximity to the coast, and with the exception of a few restaurants on the coast with connections, any fish you get at a restaurant around here has been frozen and brought in from overseas / east coast.
        Last edited by PitRow; 05-08-2017, 11:32 AM.
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

$4.99 lb...???? That is unheard of around here. This week Kroger's has half of a boneless ribeye for $6.77 lb. That is about as cheap as I have seen them. And the local store, Critchfields, has choice ribeye steaks for $12.99 lb.

Nice score, Fish!!
          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Nice score Fishawn!

BY any chance did you find out what grade those wetpacks were you picked up?

My son runs an old fashioned meat counter at a local mom & pop grocery store where they cut everything daily by breaking down primals. When I mentioned this deal you found his first guess was you were sold either select or standard grade.
            ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Originally posted by The Great White North View Post
              Nice score Fishawn!

My son runs an old fashioned meat counter at a local mom & pop grocery store where they cut everything daily by breaking down primals. When I mentioned this deal you found his first guess was you were sold either select or standard grade.

I'm betting they were "Choice".
              All the sales we have at my stores are from $4.99 to $6.99, and they're all Choice. And I think Scott often gets better prices than we do on this end of the country.

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I would say they were choice. I just bought choice grade porterhouse for $4.99 a pound. Shown in this thread.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43734

Stores down here have sales usually from $4.99 - $6.99, not everyday, but on a regular basis.
                Jim

Comment

I started to pick a whole ribeye up last week, put me glasses on - read Product of Mexico. I found my way clear to leave without it. But it wasn't a store I would normally buy meat in anyway.

Think I paid $5 somethin at RD last visit, was select. It's fine fer me.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I would love to know where this local shop was able to get Choice grade rib sections at a pricepoint that they could sell it (even being still while in pac) and not take a loss at 5 bucks a pound.

I have a good friend who is the manager of the meat department at the CostCo I am a member of and he has told me in the past to be very wary of any deals on beef that seem too good to be true.

More often than not either the country of origin or the grade being sold will end up being the reason for such prices, if you can get the purveyor to even share such details with you.

But those do look fairly well marbled enough to my eye that I will admit I'd also most likely take a swing at them too.
                    ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

I'm guessing this is where Fish got them. He posts their ads quite often.

Link to thread...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43605
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by The Great White North View Post
                        Nice score Fishawn!

I didn't even look. Guessing Choice grade
                        sigpic

Comment

I didn't even look. Guessing Choice grade
                          Well I for one would choose them!
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                            I'm guessing this is where Fish got them. He posts their ads quite often.

Link to thread...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43605
                            Nothing like having a custom meat locker that is local to you IMHO. I've run into too many folks think that steaks, chops & chickens are actually cut and packed by their local Walmart.

We never run out of rashers of bacon here as our son's counter goes through so much pork belly that they are slicing it daily and smoking them nightly. He always has a couple of prime pounds set aside in case we happen to stop in.

Their burger is insanely popular too and they grind fresh every day to keep up, even though there are 3 other large chain grocers within 5 miles of them as well as a Walmart Superstore.

If it were not for the meat counter that tiny country grocer would have dried up and been blown away years ago.
                            ==============

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

I get all my Choice Prime Rib from either "Giant" or "Weis" Supermarkets.

They will custom cut anything I ask them to do. If it's a lot I want them to do, I might have to come back later or the next day.

The great prices are usually during Holiday Weeks, like Christmas, Thanksgiving & Easter.

Bear
                              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I bought a whole ribeye pack like this one time at an unreal price. I will never do it again. It was more gristle shit than anything. If it's too good to be true...It probably is.
                                Arron W.

YS 640
                                Primo Oval XL
                                Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
                                Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
                                Weber Copper Top
                                Old Smokey
                                Orion
                                Gasser
                                2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
                                24" Disco with custom burner
                                Red Thermapen
                                2-Maverick ET-733
                                Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X