Burritos.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burritos.....

Well, I know, a burrito is just a quick and easy way to make a meal. However, put a little time in it and a tad more work and it's night and day.

So, what makes this burrito so special you may ask? 2 things really, and they're both simple.

The first is having fresh tortillas, and raw actually. You can buy these at CostCo and they are Excellent, you'll be amazed vs. what you buy at the local grocery store. The only catch is that they have to be cooked. Again this is simple. Set a burner or your grill to med heat. I put them in a pan one at a time. No need to oil or anything else. The pan works better since they will start to bubble a bit and using a spatula to keep them flat works just fine. Only takes a minute or two per tortilla. And yes, they really do make a huge difference.

The second thing is the meat. I use 1# of ground chuck. I cook the meat until it's almost done. You can drain it if you'd like. Then, I throw in some diced onions, jalapenos, a beef buillion cube, a little water and some of Rich's GP Sweet Heat rub and mix.

Then I turn the temp to low and simmer for an hour. After the first hour, I break the top and let it go another hour to really reduce it all. It's packed with flavor, very tender, and moist as well.

Then, just throw on whatever your heart desires. I put on more raw diced onions, jalapenos, some hot sauce, cheese, and some sour cream. They are actually filling and very lite which I knows doesn't seem to make sense but it works.

And then just roll and eat. It doesn't look like much finished but it will get finished, trust me. Any leftovers can be made, wrapped in foil and refrigerated for later. Just heat them up in a toaster oven and pretty much like the night you made them. I haven't tried freezing them yet.

Thanks for looking and give it a shot, especially if you have hungry kids. I find 1# meat does 6 healthy burritos.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

great post man...
    (I eat a lotta burritos)
    ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
    ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Those look great Abel! I'll have to look for those tortillas at Costco
      ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
        Pete, that's just beautiful. Period.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Well I got points just for a burrito with no beans

I love the idea of cooking everything for an extended period...Working on texture and flavor...

Wish I had access to those tortillas...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Heh, a burrito with no beans in a flour shell is a soft shell taco in this house.

Instead of the bullion cube try some better than broth paste. It's worth it.
            Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jailer View Post
              Heh, a burrito with no beans in a flour shell is a soft shell taco in this house.

Instead of the bullion cube try some better than broth paste. It's worth it.
              The better than boullion stuff is whit I use...You can mix it as strong or as weak as you like...A bit salty if you're not careful...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                The better than boullion stuff is whit I use...You can mix it as strong or as weak as you like...A bit salty if you're not careful...
                Better than bullion is what it should have been. That's what I get for posting too close to bedtime.
                Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Working...
                X