Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to put the temp probe (beer can chicken)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to put the temp probe (beer can chicken)

Hey y'all

I've got a beer can chicken going with pecan in the MES right now, started it about 40 minutes ago.

Now, thinking of a beer can chicken, I've got the temp probe going down from the top into what I eyeballed as the deepest part of the breast meat.

Is this alright? I'm asking because the temp is climbing faster than I would have thought.

The MES is still "recovering" to a run temp of 275 and I'm going for a 170 finished temp.

Thanks for the help!
    Simon

Radix Lecti Rex

I always use the thigh for meat probes, the breast can give a different temp reading than the rest of the bird. Don't insert near any bone(s), it'll give you a false reading. Smoke and seeds forever.
    GOSM Big Block
    Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
    Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
    Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Comment

You wouldn't have a pic or know where one is, do ya?
      Simon

Radix Lecti Rex

Comment

I just went out and pulled the chicken out of the MES and tried moving the probe, poked around in the thigh area a couple of different ways. The temp was reading a couple of degrees higher down on the thigh anywhere I poked it compared to where it was originally in the breast. So I put the probe back in the original spot then back in the MES it went.

How does 2 hours (or a bit under) cook time sound for a beer can chicken at 275? Chicken is about 4.5 lbs.
        Simon

Radix Lecti Rex

Comment

Thigh is the best place. Has to do with the dark meat and the breast is to close to the internal cavity and steam heat coming off the can.

Time varies to much depending on the bird. Sorry I can't give ya a better answer. But I have down them in 2 hours at that size and other times it took 3.
          sigpic

Comment

Cool -

It slowed waaaaaaay down after hitting 150. It might end up going a full 3 hours. I've still got the thermometer in the breast and at 2.5 hours it's at 165 (going to 170)
            Simon

Radix Lecti Rex

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Check View Post
              Hey y'all

I've got a beer can chicken going with pecan in the MES right now, started it about 40 minutes ago.

Now, thinking of a beer can chicken, I've got the temp probe going down from the top into what I eyeballed as the deepest part of the breast meat.

Is this alright? I'm asking because the temp is climbing faster than I would have thought.

The MES is still "recovering" to a run temp of 275 and I'm going for a 170 finished temp.

Thanks for the help!
              @ my age i just can't go there.....lmao
              my pro-street runs just fine...
              brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
              18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
              cast iron Hibachi
              22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
              & rotisserator
              12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
              stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
              Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
              http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
              my music recordings-
              http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Hmmmm...

That was a disappointment.

The first couple beercan chickens I did I cooked at 225 and 250 respectively and didn't use a thermometer - went for 4 hours (different size birds.) Skin was chewy but everything else was tender and juicy and great.

This one, I used the thermo and went to 170 at 275 hoping for less chewy skin.

What I got was a chicken that was chewy all over, wouldn't shred, wouldn't pull apart without a huge fight. Damn.
                Simon

Radix Lecti Rex

Comment

Thinkin ya need to do a thermo test....ain't sure, but if you were at 2bux50 for 4 hrs...it really should have been done in that time...
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I put it into the meaty part of the thigh and pull when temp is 180. Tent and rest for 10 minutes.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                      Thinkin ya need to do a thermo test....ain't sure, but if you were at 2bux50 for 4 hrs...it really should have been done in that time...
                      I agree 100%. That size chick and the temp and time...shoulda been seeing superb results. Was the chick frozen before? That can have a affect, IMHO. I also do not ever use water under my chicken, during the smoke.
                      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

FC,
                        I use the thigh too for temp reading like David said. It really makes no sense, it should have been good and done... was it dry? your description sounds like it was under done..
                        Maybe a thermo test is a good idea?

Originally posted by richoso1 View Post
                        I always use the thigh for meat probes, the breast can give a different temp reading than the rest of the bird. Don't insert near any bone(s), it'll give you a false reading. Smoke and seeds forever.
                        Rich, great to see you back, I have been meaning to shoot you an email to see if you were all ok... welcome back!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Just to clarify - this one went for 3 hours at a higher temp than the first two, hoping for crispier skin (and the skin was even worse than before. It wasn't just rubbery - it was tough. Like leather.) The thighs and legs were the most done part of the chicken (little tougher and drier than the rest)

The breasts were *by far* the biggest, meatiest pieces of this chicken.

I'd say a full 50% of the meat on the entire chicken was in the breasts.

I'm thinking it was a bum chicken.

Next one I'll go back to the lower cook temp (???)
                          Simon

Radix Lecti Rex

Comment

I really wouldn't cook at a lower temp. Could of been a bum chicken But normally like kelly said, if it's chewy it's under done plus if it's dry it's overdone.

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Check View Post
                              This one, I used the thermo and went to 170 at 275 hoping for less chewy skin.

What I got was a chicken that was chewy all over, wouldn't shred, wouldn't pull apart without a huge fight.
                              I don't do pulled chicken, but it seems 170° is a bit low for pulling. I'm thinking you'd want like 185° maybe?
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X