Why summer sausage is called summer sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why summer sausage is called summer sausage

You guys probably knew this, but after 2years of asking nobody's ever given me a sensible answer.
    So here it is:

Summer sausage is the general term for any sausage that can be kept without the need of refrigeration. Summer sausage is usually a mixture of pork and other meat such as beef and/or venison. Summer sausage can be either dried or smoked, and curing ingredients can vary significantly, although some sort of curing salt is almost always used. Seasonings may include mustard seeds, black pepper, garlic salt, or sugar.

Summer sausage, like many types of sausage, makes use of leftover scrap meat and organ meat that would otherwise be wasted. However some brands of summer sausage do not use scrap meats at all.

A particular kind of summer sausage is popular in North Dakota, occasionally containing cheese in addition to meat. This type of summer sausage is smoked rather than dried and is generally best kept and eaten cold, though it can be cooked.

Traditionally, summer sausage is a fermented sausage with a low pH to slow bacterial growth and give a longer shelf life, causing a tangy taste. The distinctive taste can be copied using citric acid as a shortcut to keeping cultures to ferment the following batch.
    Now it makes sense lol
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

very cool.

thanks Ca
    Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Ducane 4100 propane grill
    Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

I thought everybody knew that.
      sigpic

GOSM/propane
      UDS (Cam)/lump
      22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
      Weber Genesis/propane
      Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Yea what do ya think we are, Spring Chickens. hehe.. that is a good read Alexander.

Comment

And here I thought it was because whenever I brought a deer into the local processor in the Fall and put an order in for Sausage, it took him till Summer to get it done

Good read
          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post

.......Yeah...fine read for those who didnt know etc...

Comment

I read a while back that because in the old days summer sausage was made in the cooler winter temps for fermentation it was done dried and eaten in the summer.so hence summer sausage.made sense to me .just sayin
              2-22.5'' weber
              1-18'' weber
              1 smokey joe
              22.5'' wsm
              24'' smoke vault
              1-outhouse
              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
                Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                Yea what do ya think we are, Spring Chickens. hehe.. that is a good read Alexander.
                Originally posted by ALX View Post
                .......Yeah...fine read for those who didnt know etc...
                Ditto
                sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

lol well I have asked you lot several times with no answer. So sometimes you have to go find out for yourself.
                  And like everything - sometimes people don't ask because they think it makes them look stupid.
                  So in case there were/are anyone else who didn't know - it never hurts to post information :-)

I'm just looking for a category name for the big sliced sausages. Given that I'll be the only person making them when i start commercially, I need a category class and a name for each particular sausage flavour.

I like the sound of summer sausage, but needed to know the background :-)
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Untill last year the only summer sausage i had tasted was the crap they sell at wal mart.
                    I found a great use for that stuff. Best bait i have ever used in my minnow traps down in the marsh!!!
                    At the gathering last spring i tasted a couple of home made summer sausages and found out what i'd been missing.
                    Bob
                    South Louisiana
                    Old New Braunfuls offset
                    Charcol ECB
                    09 MES 40

Comment

Originally posted by eman View Post
                      Untill last year the only summer sausage i had tasted was the crap they sell at wal mart.
                      I found a great use for that stuff. Best bait i have ever used in my minnow traps down in the marsh!!!
                      At the gathering last spring i tasted a couple of home made summer sausages and found out what i'd been missing.
                      Amen to that eman..... My FIL & his cronies make the best SS I have personally had & of course their recipe is on a piece of paper only a couple of them have.... They will give it to me mixed up for whatever batch pounds I am wanting to make, but will not give me the recipe.... Bastards! ....
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        They will give it to me mixed up for whatever batch pounds I am wanting to make, but will not give me the recipe.... Bastards! ....
                        You want it? Send me a sample...
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I will put in a request... I bet you are the guy to see what's in their....
                          sigpic

Comment

hell, send me samples as well.

Ain't going to analyse them, but free samples are free samples right !
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Quote:

A particular kind of summer sausage is popular in North Dakota, occasionally containing cheese in addition to meat.

I think your research is flawed.........!!!!! Everyone knows Wisconsinites are the "cheeseheads"

Comment

Working...
                              X