Bottom round roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El Ropo View Post
    Ouch. A lean roast like that should of been pulled at 130 and rested for 20-30 minutes for a perfect 135. IMO, it was destroyed.

150 for a lean roast, whether it be beef or pork is overcooked by a mile.

Remember, the internal temp will continue to rise for a while after pulling off the cooker. There is zero pink left in that thing.

I know everyone likes to be polite on forums, but someone has to be the bad guy. I guess I just volunteered.

Destroyed.

I don't think your being the bad guy... It's your opinion, and like FIU said... It may be a preference.. I know folks that I have been to high end steak houses and order there bone-in ribeye well done.. They just do not want any blood in the meat...

And it was turned into this brown piece of meat with a smoke ring:

Hey nothing personal to anyone, but that is past well done. It's not a brisket, it's a sirloin roast.

Should look closer to this:

Not trying to be the bad guy here....
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

The only thing that bugged me about this whole thread is all the polite folks who said it looked great without mentioning "well done++++".

Poor guy is gonna go buy another one and cook it the same way.

At some point, ya gotta call it like it is, and offer good advice. Telling people their 160 degree sirloin roast looks good is just encouraging them to ruin more expensive meat.
      sigpic

Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump

Comment

At some point, ya gotta call it like it is, and offer good advice. Telling people their 160 degree sirloin roast looks good is just encouraging them to ruin more expensive meat.
        I thought it looked great for a well done slice of beef. Perhaps that was the goal?

And I would send that second pict back to the cooker...
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Fireitup, you are right, I'm whining about nobody else offering up alternative cooking solutions.

OK, I'll start.

Reverse sear. Slow smoke that puppy till it hits an internal of 115, then toss on a hot fire to sear both sides. Pull off fire no later than internal temp of 130. Tent under foil on cutting board for 20-30 minutes to allow juices to redistribute. During rest period, the temp will continue to rise to a perfect 135ish. Slice across the grain and enjoy a little bit of heaven.

Reverse sear allows the whole roast to come up to temp, so it's evenly cooked from end to end, from skinny side to big side. Try it, you'll like it.

When doing a cook like this, it's better to keep the roast as cold as possible before tossing on pit, better chance of developing bark and ring.
          sigpic

Comment

Hence the nickname mad...

That's one half of an american kobe tri tip. Wasn't my cook, but I'm sure it was a beef revelation when it hit the taste buds.
            sigpic

Comment

That's one half of an american kobe tri tip. Wasn't my cook, but I'm sure it was a beef revelation when it hit the taste buds.
              Heh...well, to each their own. Personally, I don't mind a solid pink, but no red for me. One possible exception... I DO enjoy steak tartare
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I guess my eyes are failing me at my tender old age.

I don't see any red in that pic. What I do see is an even med rare from edge to edge with no "blood" on the cutting board.

If anyone here were blindfolded and spoonfed some of that, they wouldn't complain. In fact, they might even do a couple of cartwheels.

What little liquid on the board can't be called blood. That is a fact. I'd scarf the whole thing down in less than 5 minutes!
                sigpic

Comment

I thought that was yours---It looked great, but I like it that way.
                  A lot of people won't touch it our way.

You post other people's smokes?

I never felt the need.

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Sorry, we're getting a bit off topic from OP.

You post other people's smokes?
                    I never post other people's smokes, I share public images and always try to give credit to the "cook".

That person doesn't post here ASFAIK. Don't want to link to other forums out of respect for this one. That pic is posted on photobucket, as long as I don't claim it's mine, I don't see an issue with sharing the beauty of a med rare roast.

If it is a problem, please let me know.

Oh, just wanted to add this. That wasn't really a smoke, it was a reverse sear.

We good?
                    Last edited by El Ropo; 05-19-2012, 10:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
                    sigpic

Comment

Sorry, we're getting a bit off topic from OP.

I never post other people's smokes, I share public images and always try to give credit to the "cook".

That person doesn't post here ASFAIK. Don't want to link to other forums out of respect for this one. That pic is posted on photobucket, as long as I don't claim it's mine, I don't see an issue with sharing the beauty of a med rare roast.

If it is a problem, please let me know.

Oh, just wanted to add this. That wasn't really a smoke, it was a reverse sear.

We good?

I see nothing wrong with posting pics when anyone is showing something to make a point..

As for Reverse Sear, you will find no better way to grill a piece of meat IMO...
                      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                        I see nothing wrong with posting pics when anyone is showing something to make a point..

As for Reverse Sear, you will find no better way to grill a piece of meat IMO...
                        Good point Ken.
                        However IMO it would be nice to note such----
                        Like----"I didn't do this, but this is how I like it."

Maybe it's just me, but I associate the pictures with the poster.

I also know if somebody uses one of my pictures, I'd like them to mention that fact.

Jeeeez--Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Good thread turned kinda ugly...huh...
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                            Good thread turned kinda ugly...huh...
                            I dunno... but the one thing it DOES illustrate is that there is no accounting for personal tastes. Assuming no harm is caused by them.

And that's the fact and law in America and Smoked-Meat.

And I will defend that to the death.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Ditto

I appreciate and welcome constructive comments.
                              I will get a PM on some of the things I'm doing and ways to improve... Thanks Mikey

If we're gonna improve we gotta know what's missing..etc.

I think most of us here are strong enough to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Cavman View Post
                                I think most of us here are strong enough to deal with it.

There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X