1st annual Dodge county BBQ contest, no pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st annual Dodge county BBQ contest, no pics

After taking two years off decided to enter my county fair's first BBQ contest. After waking up today with sore feet and back I remember why. Got there a little after 7 and had the 4 6 pound butts on smoker by 8. These were tough butts to cook, others had issues too. Mine hit 140 at 4 hours(around 11) but by 5 at turn in time they were only at 170. Had temps running 275. We had to cook 4 butts, 2 racks of spare ribs and 8 chicken thighs. Only 3 judges for each class. I knew the organizer and he said they had trouble finding judges. Chicken got brined then coated with a weber dry rub. Really liked this rub. Then with ten minutes left got coated with the Rudy's clone sauce. Friday I was scrambling a bit to find a rub to use for the butt and ribs. Took a base of magic dust and found another recipe that looked good(it was ok on its own). Combined the two and I think I've got my new rub. It was pretty good. Butts got rubbed with that and that was it. Ribs got a good coating, then spritzed and sauced. Chicken turned out excellent really like the taste. Ribs need about 30 minutes more cooking. Pleased with the taste. The butts I had to slice, extremely juicy and alot of people were loving it. It was free samples for the public. For first year they drew a decent crowd for it. Results, I ended up 5th in chicken(my parents friend was pissed cause she said mine was the best that she sampled and just loved it). I was happy especially just for winging something together last minute. Ribs finished 4th and got 2nd in pork butt. Overall I ended up finishing third. It was a pretty fun day. Now to go back for the last day of fair
    sigpic

Congrats Ryan! Comps are tough, I used to do them a lot, butt gave it up.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Forgot to mention I wasn't the only one getting a prize at the fair. Nolan competed in kiddie pedal pull, pulled 31 feet and next closest was in the low 20's, so he's 3/3 on winning them this year. He enter a turnip for largest contest on got first, Hazel entered one and got second. Only two turnips entered my corn cob jelly and pickled quail eggs both finished first.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
        Forgot to mention I wasn't the only one getting a prize at the fair. Nolan competed in kiddie pedal pull, pulled 31 feet and next closest was in the low 20's, so he's 3/3 on winning them this year. He enter a turnip for largest contest on got first, Hazel entered one and got second. Only two turnips entered my corn cob jelly and pickled quail eggs both finished first.
        KOOL!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Great times at the fair
          Third in the comp is pretty damn good if you ask me...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Good Times
            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Nice show there!! very good job!
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Congrats. You cleaned up!
                Ed

Smoke Vault 24
                Vermont Castings Gas Grill
                Thermoworks Smoke
                The "Fastest" Orange Thermapen around!
                The Neighbor's 36" Blackstone

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think I could've pulled second off if my ribs were a bit more tender. For me, knowing how it's supposed to be they were just about perfect. I took a bite and it came clean off the bone. However I was right in front of the judges tables(one recommendation for them to change) the way they collected the boxes kept it blind though. But I watched them on the ribs. They held the bone straight up and pulled the meat down. I think they might've had trouble with mine. Partly cause I had 1/4" pull back so I don't think they had any bone to hold onto. These were Smithfield St Louis style ribs. Great meaty ribs that cooked nice but only downside the required a bit more trimming than I'm used to when buying this cut.

We always have fun at the fair something I grew up with and look forward to. Always excited for it to come but glad when it's over. Legs are still killing me
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X