Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 10-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Pit Master

Sam3 Is  A Name Known To All
Sam3 Is  A Name Known To AllSam3 Is  A Name Known To AllSam3 Is  A Name Known To All

I just ordered a new gasket for my grandfathers Presto pressure canner. He kept all the receipts too. Last gasket was from 2000. I got a new one coming!

BGE XL
BGE Mini
MAK 1 star #385
Bradley OBS w/Mods
Weber 22.5 WSM
Weber 22.5 Kettle
Pit Barrel Cooker
La Caja China
Mini-WSM

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 10-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Meatasaurus

AJ Is  A Name Known To All
AJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Cool beans, nice to have a reference.

On edit, I actually do have a question. I have both weighted and dial gauge canners. I live a sea level, do I use 11lb in the dial gauge or less as the chart is listed for 1000ft?
The book for my weighted says to use 15lb for all meat but it is also probably set for 1000ft.
The chart in my Ball Blue Book starts at below 2000ft with 10lbs for meat. So I assume 10lbs would be the minimum and 11lb would be better.

Just to clarify.
Mark,
The reason to use higher pressure at higher elevations is to raise the temp. At sea level you should be good with the 10 or 11 weight. As the elevation rises the boiling temp of water drops. Increasing the pressure will bring the temp up where it needs to be for those that live in higher altitudes.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Meatasaurus

AJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
To some this is gonna be a stupid question.
Others may think I'm being a Wise-Ass Bear.

However as someone who never did any canning, but loves things like canned Peaches, Pears, Jams & Jellies, I'd like to know what benefit is there from canning Meat instead of freezing it?

Bear
Hey Bear,
One thing canning meat does is free up valuable freezer space. This method of preserving allows one to store meat at room temperature for a very long time without a risk of spoilage. The canning process also makes the meat very tender so a quick meal of canned deer/elk/beef/chicken/? over noodles, rice, mashed potatoes with some extremely tender meat is a quick and very easy feat.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Sittin' by the campfire

cowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To All
cowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To All

This is similar to how I do it. One thing I mention whenever I post about home canning... Refer to your own instructions that come with your canner as far as pressure and times go. There is a difference between dialed and weighted gauges.
Canned meats can be shelf stable for years. I use 5 year old canned goods with no problems. Before eating home canned products, it's recommended to boil the food in an open container (no lid) for at least 12 to 15 minutes before eating or tasting. Just an extra safety step.

Store canned foods in a cool dark place. They look "pretty" sitting on your kitchen counter but will fare better in a cool dark place. I have a cellar and keep my canned goods on shelves and most of them are in boxes. (old canning jar boxes).
Do not stack canned jars. The weight of a jar sitting on top of another canned jar can damage the seal and ruin the meat.

If you have an old canner and do not have the instructions that came with it... contact your local county extension office. They should be able to supply you with the information concerning your canner.

There is a lot of information online these days too. Stick with known sites like the USDA for actual info too. It's not safe to try some of the stuff out there on the net (unless you know the person who posted as legit, like AJ).

Not sure if this is the place to post these, Please delete these if they shouldn't be in this thread.
Here are a couple of links on canning smoked salmon, venison, pork, chicken...

raw packed, cold smoked salmon... (you can skip smoking and just can the fish)

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/search?q=+canning

raw packed venison...

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...g-venison.html

raw packed pork....

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...cracklins.html

hot packed BBQ pork...

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...bbqd-pork.html

hot packed chicken...

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...-hen-herd.html

hot potted pork...

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...tted-pork.html

Canned meats are handy to have. They are the original fast food. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Cool beans, nice to have a reference.

On edit, I actually do have a question. I have both weighted and dial gauge canners. I live a sea level, do I use 11lb in the dial gauge or less as the chart is listed for 1000ft?
The book for my weighted says to use 15lb for all meat but it is also probably set for 1000ft.
The chart in my Ball Blue Book starts at below 2000ft with 10lbs for meat. So I assume 10lbs would be the minimum and 11lb would be better.

Just to clarify.
Not sure if I understood your question but I would follow your canner instruction book.

Again.... feel free to delete this post if it's not in the right location. Thanks!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
Old 10-13-2014, 08:39 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

I have had her canned salmon. I wish it came in 55 gallon barrels ;{)
Old 10-13-2014, 08:44 PM
Sittin' by the campfire

cowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To All
cowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To Allcowgirl Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
I have had her canned salmon. I wish it came in 55 gallon barrels ;{)
Thanks Rich!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Personally, I have not canned any fish or meat in aboot 4 years, just Smoke Freaks salsa, pickles and jalapeno jelly, which were all processed via a water bath. My fishing buddy does it all now I gave him the Ball book on canning I had, and thats what we always followed for meats.

Are there any canning books y'all would suggest for someone interested in getting into it, that may be reading this?
Old 10-14-2014, 05:06 AM
Pit Master

Sam3 Is  A Name Known To All
Sam3 Is  A Name Known To AllSam3 Is  A Name Known To AllSam3 Is  A Name Known To All

Thanks for all that great additional info Jeanie!
I am definitely going to try that venison recipe.

BGE XL
BGE Mini
MAK 1 star #385
Bradley OBS w/Mods
Weber 22.5 WSM
Weber 22.5 Kettle
Pit Barrel Cooker
La Caja China
Mini-WSM
Old 10-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
Properly canned meats do not require electricity and or refrigeration, and will last for several years. The texture does change when they are canned, which seems to break down the proteins/muscles, or whatever it does. I have a couple of cans of smoke salmon in my bar, that are probably three years old.

I invited an old friend of mine to join the website, who is a Canning God. He has probably canned a few hundred jars of salmon this year. Hopefully he shows up soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
Hey Bear,
One thing canning meat does is free up valuable freezer space. This method of preserving allows one to store meat at room temperature for a very long time without a risk of spoilage. The canning process also makes the meat very tender so a quick meal of canned deer/elk/beef/chicken/? over noodles, rice, mashed potatoes with some extremely tender meat is a quick and very easy feat.

Thank You Scott & AJ !!!

I don't have a problem with freezer space, but I do like some of your other reasons.
#1 The canning process also makes the meat very tender so a quick meal of canned deer/elk/beef/chicken/? over noodles, rice, mashed potatoes with some extremely tender meat is a quick and very easy feat. I Love This Reason!!!

#2 Properly canned meats do not require electricity and or refrigeration, and will last for several years. The length of time doesn't thrill me because I've had meat in my freezer for 3 years, and I couldn't tell it from meat that was frozen for 1 month. However the not requiring electricity would be Awesome for camping!!

So Thanks again guys. That's plenty of reasons right there!!

Bear
Old 10-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Meatasaurus

Great data points Jeanie!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Pit Master

PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All
PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
Are there any canning books y'all would suggest for someone interested in getting into it, that may be reading this?
The Ball Blue Book is a really great place to start:

Ball Blue Book on Amazon
Old 08-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Meatasaurus

I fixed the photos as they were on PB.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > From The Kitchen