Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sourdough Salvage and Salvation Project - 2014!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourdough Salvage and Salvation Project - 2014!

Hey all!
    Seems like I've been busier than I should be lately and have totally neglected by prized BM#1 SD starter that my good pard Bassman (the BM part) gave me back in 2009 which was also the start of one hell of a good friendship.

Anywho...fastforward to present day...two Friday's ago to be exact...I actually had enough time to plan forward for Saturday SD flap jacks....grabbed my starter and it was as dead and dormant as I have ever let it get. Put in a SD 911 call to my good pard and after some tele-health help from him and three days later, she was aliiiive! Keith's parting instructions were to !@#$$!@# (start using it more often)!

So I did something a bit different this time. I mixed up my sponge Monday night, let that go in the fridge until Wed. Wed night I pulled it out and mixed up the dough and right back into the fridge until Sat morning, pulled it out, let it proof twice, and daaayuummm! A distinctive increase in the "sour". Given that SD is a longer process and I often find myself rushing through it during my general overnight, most of the next morning process, I'm definitely going to start doing it this way in the future and thought I would pass that along.

Hopefully the pictures tell the rest of the story....and serve as proof to Bassman that I didn't kill his 30+ year starter strain!

Dough on first proof outta the fridge

Some loaves and a batch a good o'l sticky buns

And my lunch yesterday!

Cinnamon rolls outta SD are absolutely to die for....gots all that sweet and tangy thangy going on!

Thanks for checking out my SD Salvage and Salvation project!
    Tracey

Looks wonderful! Glad you could bring her back to life!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Mighty fine looking buns there Tracey!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Good save Tracey...

I got some dried starter from Gunslinger a few years back...Kept it alive for months during which time I learned that I cant bake bread to save my life
        Still have one more packet of the starter to try again someday...
        I really envy y'all that can turn out good sourdough...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Glad to see you got it working again. Wish I had a couple of those
          rolls to go with my coffee this morning. Have some sourdough .
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

WOW, sitting here with my morning coffee, wishing I had one of them rolls.....
            https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Working...
            X