Brunswick Stew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brunswick Stew

Ok, so awhile back I visited Atlanta and was charged with finding a great BBQ place. Online I found Daddy Deez, and mannnn, was that a great find. While there, I sampled their Brunswick Stew (which I had never heard of before) and fell in love with theirs and the whole idea of the stew. It combined leftover pork, brisket, chicken whatever BBQ meat you've got leftover. Added in were potatoes, a tomato based broth which included a hefty helping of their BBQ sauce and whatever else you need added. Searches on the net have yielded an entire array of directions, many regionally biased. Since I've come to trust this crowds opinion, anyone here have a good standby Brunswick stew recipe I can try and report back on. If not, you creative bastages oughta be able to cook up some ideas.
    Jim

I never had the stew but I'm thinking it would be the same as any other stew...

Personally I would be adding onion, celery, maybe some shrooms...Whatever you would add to a great stew/soup...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

There’s more B stews out there than flies on a horse ranch It’s a south east thing mainly I gather. I have never had it, but it kinda sounds like it’s something like Grandma’s “Garbage Soup”. Yep..that’s what she called it. All leftover stuff, never the same but usually a tomato based veggie broth.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Yeah that's what I'm gathering. And who doesn't like that? I forgot to include in the Orig Post that it often included lima beans, corn kernels, and of course the cooking starts with sautéed onions, peppers and garlic, and some start with miraquois. I was hoping some of the folks here had it in their repertoire and had hit on "THE RIGHT" combination. If anyone hasn't tried it, I really was surprised what a great blend of flavor, and I mean layer upon layer of depths of flavors Daddy Deez had in their stew. I'd like to hit on that one. It's sort of like the Best Baked Beans in the Universe recipe I found on Steve Raichins Barbecue University site years ago, just a perfect recipe to compliment some good Q. Also, I'm sure everyone needs to tweak to their own liking.

Comment

Originally posted by jbair View Post
          Yeah that's what I'm gathering. And who doesn't like that? I forgot to include in the Orig Post that it often included lima beans, corn kernels, and of course the cooking starts with sautéed onions, peppers and garlic, and some start with miraquois. I was hoping some of the folks here had it in their repertoire and had hit on "THE RIGHT" combination. If anyone hasn't tried it, I really was surprised what a great blend of flavor, and I mean layer upon layer of depths of flavors Daddy Deez had in their stew. I'd like to hit on that one. It's sort of like the Best Baked Beans in the Universe recipe I found on Steve Raichins Barbecue University site years ago, just a perfect recipe to compliment some good Q. Also, I'm sure everyone needs to tweak to their own liking.
          That's pretty much it. It was a staple during hunting season. Corn, lima beans, peas, okra, canned maters and a mirepoix base. Squirrel, duck, rabbit, turkey or chiggin (if the hunt not so good). Somewhere I have Pop's handwritten recipe for the base, but it was never the same twice, often added to over a couple days and nothing measured. I'll look for it. Much like a gumbo but without the roux. Good Stuff!!!

Hmmm, haven't made that in long time...... More of a winter thing.
          Last edited by Mark R; 06-28-2017, 07:43 AM.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Wellll, I looked through the bags of hand written and typed recipes......My Mother sure had a LOT of cookie recipes! No luck on the stew. It here somewhere.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Never had Brunswick Stew. I'd like to try it tho. Sounds goooood!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                Never had Brunswick Stew. I'd like to try it tho. Sounds goooood!
                I think I have had it several times but never called it that
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

A lil history, factual........

J. B. COOK Brunswick stew traditionally used squirrel, but not the nervous fluffy rodents of city parks. The tradition was to eat the little animal that glides from tree to tree in the Appalachian forests, the flying squirrel. It is interesting that the recipes collected for America Eats of both burgoo and Brunswick stew play down the role of squirrel. The flying squirrel that lives among the vanishing hardwood trees of unlogged old-growth forests was already becoming scarce in the 1940s and is today endangered. Some twenty years ago, the genial Mr. John G. Saunders, City Sergeant of Richmond, Virginia, inaugurated for the benefit of the American Legion his “Sergeant Saunders’ Brunswick Stews,” which have since become legend in Virginia. Selling at 50 cents a quart, enough stew was sold upon this occasion to net the Legion $ 500.
                  Since then Sergeant Saunders has made his famous stews for all the churches of all denominations and all the worthy charities that have sought to benefit from his great generosity. cause, Sergeant Saunders furnishes all the ingredients of the stew so that the price paid by the hundreds and sometimes thousands of people who attend these community events is practically clear profit. Some idea of what a truly colossal feat of outdoor cooking is involved in the making of one of these stews may be realized from the following description. In 1930, a Richmond policeman was killed in line of duty. A committee of thirty-five citizens was formed to seek ways and means to materially demonstrate to his widow the appreciation of a grateful city. Sergeant Saunders responded to the call. A large vacant lot was selected for the site, and on the day of the event the great iron cauldrons were placed and the fires started. Six hundred gallons were to be made and so into the pots Sergeant Saunders and his assistants put 240 veal shins, 12 beef shins, 780 pounds of chicken (live weight), 48 pounds of bacon, 1,800 pounds of Irish potatoes, 18 bushels of celery, 600 pounds of onions, 24 dozen bushels of carrots, 360 pounds of cabbage, 150 gallons of canned tomatoes, 72 gallons of canned corn, 48 pounds of butter, and the whole well seasoned with salt, pepper, and thyme. For six hours the stew steams and bubbles and is constantly stirred,sending abroad its appetizing aroma that is its own advertisement for gathering the crowds that come at the appointed time to buy by the quart or gallon. It was upon this occasion that the last quart was auctioned off and bid in for $ 10 dollars by Dr. Bright, who at that time was Mayor of Richmond. More than $ 1,000 dollars was realized for the policeman’s widow. A conservative estimate indicates that at least $ 16,000 has been raised for good causes during the twenty odd years these sales of “Sergeant Saunders’ Brunswick Stews” have been memorable events in Richmond. Natives of Brunswick County no doubt would take exception to Sergeant Saunders’ recipe, decrying the cabbage, and breathing anathema upon the substitution of bacon for squirrel, but then the little furry public pets in old Capitol Square are carefully guarded. And would it seem fitting for Richmond’s beloved Sergeant to attempt to outwit the Capital Police?

Kurlansky, Mark. The Food of a Younger Land: A portrait of American food- before the national highway system, before chainrestaurants, and before frozen food, when the ... and traditional- from the lost WPA files (p. 146). Riverhead Trade. Kindle Edition.

Mark
                  sigpic

Comment

Good read Mark, thanks for sharing!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Nice read, Mark.
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        There’s more B stews out there than flies on a horse ranch It’s a south east thing mainly I gather. I have never had it, but it kinda sounds like it’s something like Grandma’s “Garbage Soup”. Yep..that’s what she called it. All leftover stuff, never the same but usually a tomato based veggie broth.
                        That's about right. I have a good one.... I just need to find it
                        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Okay found it.

Brunswick Stew
                          INGREDIENTS
                          4 celery ribs
                          2 carrots
                          1 medium onion
                          1 whole chicken
                          2 quarts water
                          2 teaspoons salt
                          1 teaspoon black pepper
                          1 lb shredded pork
                          3/4 cup barbecue sauce
                          1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
                          2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
                          1 (10 ounce) packages frozen lima beans, thawed
                          1 (16 ounce) packages frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
                          1 (16 ounce) packages frozen corn, thawed
                          1 cup mirepoix (diced Celery, Carrot and Onion sautéed in butter)
                          1 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
                          Hot sauce
                          DIRECTIONS
                          Cut celery, carrots, and onion in half; combine vegetables, chicken and next 3 ingredients in a large stockpot.
                          Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is very tender.
                          Bone and shred chicken.
                          Pour broth through a wire mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding vegetables(I keep mine); return broth to stockpot and add remaining ingredients.
                          Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or desired thickness.
                          Serve with cornbread and crackers

Good luck
                          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Ahhhh..... Daddy Dz's. You feel like you need a tetanus shot just walking the door, but the food is amazing! It is the quintessential BBQ "joint".

As to Brunswick Stew, here is my recipe.

2 whole chickens - smoked & shredded
                            3 lb boston butt – shredded (2 1/2 pounds after smoking)
                            3 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
                            1 16 oz package frozen whole kernel yellow corn, thawed
                            2 16 oz packages frozen butterbeans, thawed
                            2 medium onions chopped
                            1 32 oz container chicken broth
                            1 24 oz bottle ketchup
                            1/2 cup white vineagar or 1/3 cup apple cider vineagar
                            1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
                            1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
                            1 tablespoon salt
                            1 tablespoon pepper
                            2 tablespoons hot sauce
                            Optional – ½ cup barbeque sauce

Blend it all in a very large pot and simmer a few hours.

Note: this has a LOT of meat in it. I usually end up adding more chicken broth to balance the liquid to meat. Which means I also end up adding more vinegar also (to taste on the additional). The first time I made this I screwed up and used both white and apple cider vinegar but it came out great so I always do that now. The original recipe only called for one or the other. Oh, and if you can get them use "butterpeas" instead of butterbeans.
                            Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Stew definitely feels like more of a fall or winter meal but after seeing this thread, I'm thinking an exception will be made next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X