No announcement yet.

new smoker suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a gasser right? Hmm I recall you installing a needle valve? Din't help?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Have you tried a different burner?

I have been down the tinkering path.

http://http://www.gassmoker.com/mini-v.htm

This guy is very helpful on the phone and can suggest the right setup for the temps you are trying to get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        That's a gasser right? Hmm I recall you installing a needle valve? Din't help?
        No Sir, and I've tried cracking the door a bit. it does somewhat control the temps but most of the smoke escapes. I haven't used it at all during the summer so may give it another try in the coming weeks.
        Stumps Baby
        Bubba Keg Convection Grill
        Digi Q
        Gasser with 4+ yrs of dust
        Custom end grain cutting board
        Superfast Yellow Thermapen
        18 " Smoke Vault
        12" AMNTS
        AMNPS
        Newbie beer brewer

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
          Stay away from Master Forge Electric (POS).
          Not sure on the propane side. I hear good things about the Smokein-It, but not laid eyes on one.
          Smokin It's are a Cook Shack clone at about half the price. Probably about 550 now or so.

Char Griller Pellet Smoker
          Smokin' It #3 electric smoker
          Stok Tower Charcoal Grill
          Bubba Keg with Rotisserie Attachment
          Pro Line Kitchen Aid Grinder
          Lem 5# Vertical Stuffer
          Nesco Dehydrator and Jerky Maker

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
            WSM, also known as Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smokers. I have two 18.5's and love them. Also, consider a Weber kettle... a very versatile tool that you can grill and smoke with.
            I have never needed anything else from high heat brisket and poultry to low n slow kielbasa, jerky, summer sausage, etc, etc.
            ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

Originally posted by 44 bbq View Post
              No Sir, and I've tried cracking the door a bit. it does somewhat control the temps but most of the smoke escapes. I haven't used it at all during the summer so may give it another try in the coming weeks.
              Did you try sand vs. water in the water pan for thermal mass? I have a SM 24 and it puts out some great eats. I was going to add the needle valve, in fact I bought one and have it in my drawer, but after learning the smoker I can maintain a temp from about 150 - 300 all day with about a plus/minus 10 degree variance. I do need to monitor when I first put in a lot of meat because it does steadily rise as the meat comes to temp, but it is usually a minor adjustment every hour or so for the first couple hours. In the summer in the sun on low end it would probably be hard to hold below 200, but up here in Wisconsin winter 150-160 is easy. I also keep the top damper wide open, control the heat with the gas valve and the smoke with the bottom dampers. There is plenty of air flow from the bottom for the burners and I've noticed the side dampers do virtually nothing to control temps, but they do control the air flow to the chip pan and therefore the smoke quality.

Comment

Originally posted by frog1369 View Post
                Did you try sand vs. water in the water pan for thermal mass? I have a SM 24 and it puts out some great eats. I was going to add the needle valve, in fact I bought one and have it in my drawer, but after learning the smoker I can maintain a temp from about 150 - 300 all day with about a plus/minus 10 degree variance. I do need to monitor when I first put in a lot of meat because it does steadily rise as the meat comes to temp, but it is usually a minor adjustment every hour or so for the first couple hours. In the summer in the sun on low end it would probably be hard to hold below 200, but up here in Wisconsin winter 150-160 is easy. I also keep the top damper wide open, control the heat with the gas valve and the smoke with the bottom dampers. There is plenty of air flow from the bottom for the burners and I've noticed the side dampers do virtually nothing to control temps, but they do control the air flow to the chip pan and therefore the smoke quality.
                Haven't tried sand yet. Didnt really play much with it last winter as I got frustrated with it and just used my Stumps. When I would put the flame on low with the needle valve, most times it would go out. It's starting to cool down here so I will be playing around with it in the next few weeks and will get some sand to see how that works vs water.

It does run pretty steady at 250 with minimal effort but I need it to be 150 or less for my needs. Probably should have went with an electric smoker but wanted a gas one to use in case we get hit with any hurricanes.
                Stumps Baby
                Bubba Keg Convection Grill
                Digi Q
                Gasser with 4+ yrs of dust
                Custom end grain cutting board
                Superfast Yellow Thermapen
                18 " Smoke Vault
                12" AMNTS
                AMNPS
                Newbie beer brewer

Comment

Working...