No announcement yet.

Hillbilly Backwoods Jerky (with photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillbilly Backwoods Jerky (with photos)

The AGS counter top meat tumbler came in the other day, so I figured it's time to crank out a fresh batch of jerky. I'm going to finish these on the LEM 10 tray dehydrator instead of the WSM. This will be the 1st time I've used both the AGS and the LEM dehydrator for jerky.

Picked up just shy of 5 pounds of meat from the local grocery store. They had sliced "breakfast steak" which appeared to be just 1/4 to 3/8" thick slices of round and oddly enough it was less expensive than the whole round roast was per pound. They also had some 3/8" x 3/8" "stir fry" strips for the same price. Looked like a winner to me as the cut work was already done (I did slice the flat steaks in half to make manageable sizes though).

The recipe is one of Rick's (NEPAS) that seems to have been pretty popular. His recipe was for 5 pounds and since the AGS instructions said to not exceed 4 pounds of meat (I had a little over 4.5 pounds), I split the marinade in half for each batch in the AGS. This is the first time I've used this marinade and the only change I made was to add 1 TBL of Colgin liquid hickory smoke to each of the 1/2 marinade mixes since I'm finishing this in the dehydrator instead of over a smoker.

NEPAS Hillbilly Backwoods Jerky
    • 5 pounds of lean meat strips (or lean ground beef)*
    • 2 TBL non-iodized salt
    • 1 tsp cure #1 (pink salt)
    • 1 tsp curry powder
    • 1 tsp cayenne powder
    • 1 tsp crushed black pepper
    • 2 TBL onion powder
    • 1 cup soy sauce (regular or low sodium)
    • 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
    • 3 cups cold distilled water
    • 2-3 TBL liquid smoke if dehydrating (omit if finishing in smoker)

*Note - if using lean ground beef, reduce the water to 1 TBL and the soy and Worchestershire to 2 TBL each. If the meat mix feels really dry and tack, add 1 TBL more of water and remix (repeat as needed).

Mix all the above together and let marinade in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours. Then smoke or dehydrate as normal.

Cast of characters

Sliced meat will be in the first batch to be marinaded. Mixed marinade is next to the meat.

All vacuumed down and set for a 30 minute spin in the AGS marinade mixer.

More to come as this progresses.....
    Last edited by dward51; 03-21-2016, 03:58 PM.
    Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

looking good

why not use beer instead of water :-)
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I considered that. One thing is I just started a low carb diet and beer does have a few carbs. Probably would not matter in the end by the time it is distributed across the meat, plus it all does not get absorbed. Beer would work, but I just stuck to the recipe and used water.

Yeah, I know there are low carb beers, but I don't have any of these right now since I'm not supposed to drink alcohol in the induction phase of a low carb diet. I'm 1 week in.
      Dave

Comment

Meat has been in the marinade for about 18 hours. Time to load the dehydrator. Only needed a couple of the trays. Going to start these at 125-130* and check after 4 hours. I think the strips and flats will be done at different times and I really do not want to over dry the meat as I can always let it run a little longer, but I cannot go back.

Dave

Comment

Took about 4 1/2 hours to get them where I wanted them. Like cracked leather, but not totally dry and crunchy. Taste is pretty dang good and not too much heat. Rick's (NEPAS) recipe is getting a thumbs up from me! I really like how those strips came out. I started with 4 1/2 pounds and ended up with approximately 2 pounds dried. Doubt it will last the week as I promised to bring some to work and I'm on a low carb diet, so this is the perfect snack between meals!

It would have been right at 2 pounds, but I had to test a sample or two so I could make sure they were done to the right level of dryness.

Dave

Comment

Dang it man that looks good,,, Damn work keeps getting in the way

DS
            Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
            1930 Fridge Build
            MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
            Therma Pen
            Maverick 732
            Mini Therma Pen
            Frog Mats
            Weber Junior
            AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

Looks Like some good stuff! Good luck on your diet, I blew mine over the weekend
              sigpic

Comment

Eh, it's only blown for a day. Jump back in there again......

I'm doing the Atkins low carb again. Did it years ago and lost about 90 pounds, but of course I drifted back into my evil ways and over the next couple of years it all came back (with some friends too). At least I can eat MEAT!!!! Pretty much to my hearts content.
                Dave

Comment

wooo... Cheers!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                  X