Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke advice

Hey guys,

Long time follower here, you guys are great! So I have been trying to create a really deep, dark, rich smoke flavor profile. I'm just not getting there. I just got a smoke daddy and that thing is amazing, so I know I have the tools now. Do you have any recommendations? I haven't spritzed at all, does that help? I mostly cook pork ribs/pork shoulders, typical low and slow 225F.

What type of wood flavor are you using?
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

What type of smoker are you using
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Since getting my smoke daddy I have tried hickory once and I think I layed it on a little heavy. The smoke was getting a grey color and was rolling very thick and heavy. I've also used apple and cherry wood.

Comment

Since adding my smoke daddy I'm still very new. So I still have some experimenting to do. I'm just calling to the troops here to help me dial in.

Comment

The smoke daddy is a different kind of beast. You either love em or find them useless.

There is no "thin blu" with a smoke generator like the way it is piped into the cooking chamber. It produces a robust white grey smoke. The key is to keep good air flow in your cooking chamber or you risk putting creosote taste onto your food.

Are you using pellets, chunks, chips?

The type of smoke would be helpful info

Welcome!

Comment

I have some bags of both chips and chunks. I currently have hickory and apple chunks, and a bag of cherry chips.

Comment

Mix some small pieces of lump charcoal in with the pieces of wood. It really helps those out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Jerod
                GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                sigpic

Comment

Which propane smoker to buy?

Hey folks! been checking out this forum for quite sometime now. Can anyone suggest me good propane smokers which are easily portable. Thanks in advance ppl!

Comment

Smoke advice

Oops
                    Last edited by GOT14U; 07-05-2017, 06:46 PM.
                    Jerod
                    GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                    sigpic

Comment

raise your cook chamber temp up to about 250 to accommodate an increased airflow. make certain your thermometers are accurate. DEFINITLY keep your air flow thorough. Slow airflow will help cerate creosote and a bitter taste. Airflow is your friend. Less wood is always better if you are not using a true wood burner. You will get there.
                      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by alex View Post
                        Hey folks! been checking out this forum for quite sometime now. Can anyone suggest me good propane smokers which are easily portable. Thanks in advance ppl!

Ya want to start your own thread with this question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Jerod
                        GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                        sigpic

Comment

No clue on the propane. However, I am one of the few smoke daddy fans. First of all, turn the airflow down as low as possible. Not the smoker airflow, the aquarium pump. I have used about all of the woods, but my favorite overall is pecan. I also use quite a bit of Mesquite, but that seems to be a Texas thing, most folks on here find it too robust for their tastes. I only use chips. I have never been able to get pellets to work. Not sure what smoker you use, but I have great success with the 40" Masterbuilt. I run the top vent wide open and usually run from 250 to 275 depending on whats a cooking.
                          A few of my favorite things:
                          Good Whiskey
                          Good Food
                          Bad Girls
                          sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                          Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Working...
                          X