Food truck startup 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food truck startup 101

Been doing some serious thinking of starting up a food truck.

Reading through some of others experiences with brick and mortar locations and the issues related to that, I am looking for some advice on a truck/trailer.

Going into this I realize that it is like having a child. There are good days and bad days, and a ton of learning but I believe in the end would be worth it.

What is a good resource for getting started? My thoughts are I want to pay cash for things as I go (just he way I was raised) and currently do not want to quit my day job (although there are days). My thought would be to work evenings as a prep and weekends serving to get started.

Thoughts that you could share?

Check with your local health dept about what they will allow and what you will be required to do and have to be licensed. Will your smoker pass inspection, do you need to have a commercial kitchen/commissary to prep and store food supplies(most places will not let you prep/store at a home kitchen).
    And one of the most important items is insurance.

There are many other things that will come up along the way, but this is a good starting point.

JMHO
    Jim

Comment

Hia Cheech! a couple members here would have some input. Seboke and Critterhunter would be a help. Drop them a PM, and if ya don’t hear from them I can get you in touch.

Then..there’s the HD stuff I think what yer looking for is a STFU (no..seriously) certification. And of course yer gonna wanna take the Serv-Safe course. Here’s a quick search result for the GR area...

Course : ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification Examination
      Language : English
      Course Format :
      Location Name :
      Location Address : 1633 E. Beltline Ave NE
      Location City : Grand Rapids
      State : MI
      Zip Code : 49525
      Location Phone :
      Course Start Date : 9/12/2017 :8:00 AM
      Course End Date 9/12/2017 :5:00 PM
      Instructor : GROEN, JENNIFER
      Contact Person : Burd, Chari
      Contact Phone : 517-377-3922
      Contact Email : Cburd@mramail.org
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

And of course- I’d be happy to discuss your seasoning needs with you
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

so what type of truck you aiming for ?

Bear in mind that if you do your prep and cooking in the truck itself, you don't need to remodel your house and get it food preparation certified. And if you're cooking and praparing meat - that's not a small job !

Getting a truck up to speed is so much easier than re-modeling your house :-)
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

They gots most of it covered /\.
            I know a fella does that, it's not like having a child. It's like having triplets with two wives, you be married to it. It hard for it not to be overwhelmingly consuming if you want to be competitive....customer wise. Though there are comps round here fer them.

Wish ya luck!
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
              And one of the most important items is insurance.

JMHO

You will need two types of coverage, a BAP Business Auto Policy for the pulling unit & trailer if it's towable or for the truck if it's drivable. All the permanently installed equipment should be included in the value of the truck / trailer and insured on the BAP. You'll also need a BOP Business Owners Policy to cover the General Liability & Contents (anything that can be removed from the trailer, like cooking utensils & inventory) Make sure the policy includes two important coverages... spoilage & food borne illness. Most companies include these in their package, but with others you have to add them on by endorsement for an additional premium.

I don't have a food truck but I've been peddling insurance since 1979 so if you have any questions there let me know.

Good Luck & Have Fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

this Dude here in Panama City does a bad ass business...
                https://www.facebook.com/Theprimeribguy/
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

It's already been mentioned, but I would check with Seboke!! We watched him advance & last I heard he was doing Great. Nice Guy too.

And Critterhunter can help you, I'm sure!!!

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Just a heads up, check to see if there is a size/length maximum in some of the sites you are possibly planning on setting up. Critterhunter (Raymond) bought a kick ass big trailer a couple years back, and it was longer in length than some of the spots local to him would allow and he was not allowed to set his trailer up in some of those spots due to its length. Needless to say, he was pretty pissed. I would suggest looking into it, based on what Raymond went through.

Critterhunter and Seboke are both top notch folks, and would probably be more than happy to answer questions, if they get the thyme.

Good Luck!
                    sigpic

Comment

Missed the threads

Some how missed the updates to this thread.

Thanks for the info.
                      I have recently found a guy that has a trailer already that he preps in and is looking at moving to a full blown food truck and is willing to sell his trailer.

Looking at the options but not totally in with both feet yet so going to stick with gathering more info first

Comment

Seriously look up seboke. Last time he dropped by, he was up to 2 trucks and a brick and mortar restaurant.

Mind you that;s a guy who used to bbq dozens of lobsters in afghanistan.
                        Something of an operator our seboke
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                        X