Corn Cobs and Corn for Smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corn Cobs and Corn for Smoking?

I have a neighbor that had a Good One smoker replica built, and he brought over brisket serial number 001 for me to taste and critique last night. He was amazed that it took so long . He had it on the smoker "all day" . That cracks me up.

His brisket was good (even though he used Mesquite ). I gave him some info to help him out and sent him a list of different smoking woods. In doing so, I saw corn cobs on the list. I have heard of people using these but forgot about it since I have slept more then three times since then. Here is what is said...

CORN COBS - The perfect way to make use of everything in your kitchen, corn cobs provide a nice, slightly sweet and somewhat fruity smoke. The subtle flavors of the corn are also imparted to the meat, making it perfect for pork and poultry.

This made me think that if that is the case, why couldn't you use shelled corn as well? it is commonly used as a heat source in stoves, so why wouldn't it work if you mixed it in with some pellets in a smoking tray to cold smoke with it or put some in your pellet smokers?

Has anyone tried this? I sense an experiment coming on.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Give 'er a go... a couple years back I tossed a couple sweet corn cobs into the Brinkmann's firebox. It was a sweet smelling smoke. Did not really show up on the 2 butts tho..only had the 2 cobs, and apple was the starting smoke.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I wouldn't do it personally. I've got a corn furnace. The smell is not great. Now if you like the smell of burnt popcorn go ahead. I've wanted to try the cob thing. They burn hot. Dad got a wagon load for his furnace from seed corn company. Might have to grab a bucket.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
        I wouldn't do it personally. I've got a corn furnace. The smell is not great. Now if you like the smell of burnt popcorn go ahead. I've wanted to try the cob thing. They burn hot. Dad got a wagon load for his furnace from seed corn company. Might have to grab a bucket.
        Hmmm, yeah the burnt popcorn thing makes sense. Cobs on the other hand may be viable. My grandpa always had cobs on hand (was a farmer) and used them to start fires in stock tank heaters and the house wood furnace. They do burn hot and work great as kindling too.
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

The guy we call "Pops", from a few Forums, including this one comes from a line of Butchers & Meat smokers & he uses Corn cobs, as did his father. I have never tried it, but he often tells of how good it works & tastes.

Just thought I'd mention,

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I think Meathunter uses cobs
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
              Hmmm, yeah the burnt popcorn thing makes sense. Cobs on the other hand may be viable. My grandpa always had cobs on hand (was a farmer) and used them to start fires in stock tank heaters and the house wood furnace. They do burn hot and work great as kindling too.
              Dad had a cob heater that he set in the creek. Worked pretty good. Another use for cobs, I just came across this a year ago, is corn cob jelly. It reminds me a big of apple with a hint of honey. One of my favorites. Was planning on making my own batch but work got in the way. The recipes I read said you could use the cobs from the sweet corn you eat. Boiling them would kill any bacteria that came from your mouth. I could see saving the sweet corn cobs for the smoker. Might have to dry them a bit but maybe not.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                Dad had a cob heater that he set in the creek. Worked pretty good. Another use for cobs, I just came across this a year ago, is corn cob jelly. It reminds me a big of apple with a hint of honey. One of my favorites. Was planning on making my own batch but work got in the way. The recipes I read said you could use the cobs from the sweet corn you eat. Boiling them would kill any bacteria that came from your mouth. I could see saving the sweet corn cobs for the smoker. Might have to dry them a bit but maybe not.
                Mmmm corn cob jelly my new favorite Thanks Ryan
                Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                Weber 22.5" WSM
                Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                Weber Smokey Joe
                GMG Daniel Boone
                Pit Barrel Cooker
                Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                The Vortex

Comment

Smoked corn silks before, tastes like old socks.
                  sigpic

GOSM/propane
                  UDS (Cam)/lump
                  22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                  Weber Genesis/propane
                  Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    x2. IIRC, it was his preferred material for several things...
                    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      I think he does as well
                      PERFECT for smoking bacon.
                      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post

Think I'll pass on that one!!

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
                          Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                          Think I'll pass on that one!!

Bear
                          I'm with ya Bear... I'm just wondering how he knows what old socks taste like?

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                          Paul

Comment

If you pass on smoking them, they make a good flavorful corn stock

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
                              I'm with ya Bear... I'm just wondering how he knows what old socks taste like?

Walked right into that one.
                              sigpic

GOSM/propane
                              UDS (Cam)/lump
                              22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                              Weber Genesis/propane
                              Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Working...
                              X