Cure 1 and Belly Bacon Discrepancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cure 1 and Belly Bacon Discrepancy

I am going to try curing a pork belly with Cure 1 instead of Tenderquick. But I have read to use 1 tsp Cure 1 per 5 pound belly (which I know is usually the norm ) and also I have seen several recipes that say to use 2 tsp Cure 1 per 5 pound belly. Which the heck is correct ? ( maybe the 2 tsp ratio is ok because its in a whole muscle cut and not in ground meat like for sausage making ).... The more I read about it, the more I see it mentioned either way. Confused.

NO !
    either use cure #2 or another curing salt that has nitrate as well as nitrite.

The difference is that cure #2 gives long term protection and cure #1 DOES NOT.
    Cure #1 is strictly for short term things like: jerkies and sausage. Where the curing period is either overnight or 2 days at most.

For any curing process that takes more than 2 days - always use a curing salt that contains nitrates.
    And weigh it.

The correct amount to use for any cure salt is ALWAYS shown on the packet itself.
    So no - you do not double the amount for a whole muscle - it's just left longer, hence the need for nitrates.
    Unless you are fond of slimy green meat, never do long term cures with a purely nitrite based curing salt.

Anyone giving recipes that involve cure salt and use volume measurements rather than weights, should probably be ignored as a matter of course anyway.
    ALWAYS weigh curing salts according to the stated amount on the packet.

https://www.amazon.com/Prague-Powder...ing+salt&psc=1
    It's cheap, it lasts forever and 14oz will cure over 300lbs of meat.

And yes, tenderquick does have nitrates as well as nitrite (the short term cure salt).

The rule of thumb is this:
    cure #1 for 2 days MAX
    cure #2 for any curing project regardless of length - my current record is about 6 months for treacle cured 'ham'.
    As cure #2 is suitable for both short and long term curing - I only buy #2
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

This is why this place rocks...
      Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
      Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
      A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
      A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
      Frogmats
      Maverick ET 732
      Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
        This is why this place rocks...
        Yup. People don't die because of this place...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
          NO !
          either use cure #2 or another curing salt that has nitrate as well as nitrite.

The difference is that cure #2 gives long term protection and cure #1 DOES NOT.
          Cure #1 is strictly for short term things like: jerkies and sausage. Where the curing period is either overnight or 2 days at most.

For any curing process that takes more than 2 days - always use a curing salt that contains nitrates.
          And weigh it.

The correct amount to use for any cure salt is ALWAYS shown on the packet itself.
          So no - you do not double the amount for a whole muscle - it's just left longer, hence the need for nitrates.
          Unless you are fond of slimy green meat, never do long term cures with a purely nitrite based curing salt.

Anyone giving recipes that involve cure salt and use volume measurements rather than weights, should probably be ignored as a matter of course anyway.
          ALWAYS weigh curing salts according to the stated amount on the packet.

https://www.amazon.com/Prague-Powder...ing+salt&psc=1
          It's cheap, it lasts forever and 14oz will cure over 300lbs of meat.

And yes, tenderquick does have nitrates as well as nitrite (the short term cure salt).

The rule of thumb is this:
          cure #1 for 2 days MAX
          cure #2 for any curing project regardless of length - my current record is about 6 months for treacle cured 'ham'.
          As cure #2 is suitable for both short and long term curing - I only buy #2

Mr CA,
          Now I'm getting confused !!!
          I don't use Cure #1 or Cure #2.
          I use TQ on all my curing.
          However, Unless I'm getting senile in my old age, I swear you are the only one I've ever seen calling for Cure #2 to be used for Good old Plain Bacon.
          All I've ever seen was 1 tsp of Cure #1 cures 5 Pounds of Bacon. (or whatever the volume measurement is)

Cure #2 has always been used for the Much longer time curing things (like hard salami, Coppa, and country ham).------ Not Plain old Bacon.

Bear
          Last edited by Bearcarver; 01-06-2017, 03:40 PM.
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
            Mr CA,

Now I'm getting confused !!!

I don't use Cure #1 or Cure #2.

I use TQ on all my curing.

However, Unless I'm getting senile in my old age, I swear you are the only one I've ever seen calling for Cure #2 to be used for Good old Plain Bacon.

All I've ever seen was 1 tsp of Cure #1 cures 5 Pounds of Bacon. (or whatever the volume measurement is)

Cure #2 has always been used for the Much longer time curing things (like hard salami, Coppa, and country ham).------ Not Plain old Bacon.

Bear

Got me all confused too, bacon = cure #1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What Is Instacure 1 Used For?
              Instacure 1 is used for any type of cured meat product that will require cooking, such as bacon, hams that are not air-dried, and smoked sausages.

2 tsps of Instacure 1 is enough to cure roughly 10 lbs of sausage or bacon.

What Is Instacure 2 Used For?
              Instacure 2 is used for meat products that will be air-dried and not cooked, such as dried salamis, pepperonis, and some air-dried hams.

The reason for the addition of sodium nitrate in Instacure 2 is that over a long curing period, sodium nitrate breaks down very slowly into sodium nitrite.

In the words of the great sausage maker, Rytek Kutas, sodium nitrate works like an extended-release medication for meats that require very long curing times, like dry cured sausages.

Bear
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

my thinking was #1 was for things that are cooked (bacon, ham, smoked sausage) and #2 is for air-dried things that are eaten raw (coppa, sopresata, etc)

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nc...moke_pres.html

Nitrate. Use cure mixtures that contain nitrate (e.g., Prague Powder 2, Insta-Cure 2) for dry-cured products that are not to be cooked, smoked, or refrigerated (PHS/FDA 2001). Dry cure using 3.5 oz. nitrate per 100 lbs. meat maximum or wet cure at a maximum of 700 ppm nitrates (9 CFR Cpt 3. 318.7(c)(4), 381.147(d)(4)).

Nitrite. Use cure mixtures that contain nitrite (e.g., Prague Powder 1, Insta-Cure 1) for all meats that require cooking, smoking, or canning (PHS/FDA 2001). Dry cure using 1 oz. nitrite per 100 lbs. meat maximum. For sausages use ¼ oz. per 100 lbs. (Reynolds and Schuler 1982). A 120 ppm concentration is usually sufficient and is the maximum allowed in bacon (PHS/FDA 2001)
                Mike
                Life In Pit Row

Comment

Thats what my thinking was as well. I now realize that the people that are saying to use 2 tsp per 5 pound belly are well over the reccomended ppm allowable it appears. I guess i will try the 1 tsp ( 6 grams - yes I use a gram scale to measure it ) per 5 pounds.....And then add enough Kosher salt to acquire the suggested 3% level in total. Unless someone tells me a better way ? definately open to learning from all you guys that are way more experienced than I am. ( which I suspect is nearly all of you :) )

Comment

Originally posted by Panthur View Post
                    Thats what my thinking was as well. I now realize that the people that are saying to use 2 tsp per 5 pound belly are well over the reccomended ppm allowable it appears. I guess i will try the 1 tsp ( 6 grams - yes I use a gram scale to measure it ) per 5 pounds.....And then add enough Kosher salt to acquire the suggested 3% level in total. Unless someone tells me a better way ? definately open to learning from all you guys that are way more experienced than I am. ( which I suspect is nearly all of you :) )

Could also be they either meant to say "1 tsp for 5 pounds" or "2 tsp for 10 pounds".

I don't know where you got the 2 tsp for 5 pounds, but it must be a common place, because every once in awhile somebody asks the same question as you did.

I know some of the Big Time Meat Smoking books have mistakes in them, and they're there to stay.

I would think the Salt amount would be about 2 tsp for every Pound of Belly.

Bear

Comment

This website is all you need for an accurate dose of cure. Never go by volume measurement...

http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Panthur View Post

Not me...I know nothing when it comes to curing
                        ...Except to follow directions exactly as they are written...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

Not me...I know nothing when it comes to curing
                          ...Except to follow directions exactly as they are written...
                          That is good but I think that is what the OP is confused about. 1 google search showed a world know author using 2 tsp for 5 lbs and cooking it in an oven to an IT of 150.

Yes there is a lot of mis information out there.

IMHO stick with what is known on this site and no one will get sick.

My only advice with bacon is to keep it simple. Juniper berries have no place in bacon.......

Comment

Working...
                          X