Belly Bacon Burnt Ends & Bacon for the Freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belly Bacon Burnt Ends & Bacon for the Freezer

I know some of you's guys hate progressive threads, but I have a bit of time now so I wanted to get this started. If you haven't had belly bacon burnt ends...you have no one to blame but yourself, and you need to get that corrected because they are awesome....no, really...freakin awesome. I am also in need of some bacon for the freezer and need to give some to a neighbor in trade for some wild boar sausage...so I have two bellies that are cured...one for burnt ends and one for sliced bacon. I can hardly wait.

As I add photos to this when I get it finished up later tonight I'll add to this top post and then give it a bump. OK...let's get this pig on the smoker.

Started with a couple of costco bellies...we were in the store and they didn't have any on the case, so I flagged down a meat dept. guy and asked him...he ran to the cooler and busted open a new case. Got two of 'em price and I grabbed both of em. Cured using Tender quick at label rates, brown sugar, garlic, black pepper, and some other spices that I can't remember right now Here they are taking a soak

For the Burnt ends I use no salt hunky...this is great! Since the bacon is cured and has salt, you don't need that, but the flavor of the spice and paprika are incredible!

Into the Iron Maiden...

Sliced bacon is getting the hickory and pistachio shell treatment...great combo.

Into the smokin' cube...

Taking a ride in the cabinet smoker...

This is gonna be fantastic...I'm pretty sure of it. I'll be back with more pics and a bump!

******* NEXT INSTALLMENT *******

Bellies are at 175° ish...

Pulled them off and onto the cutting board.

Cut them into cubes...sampled a couple chunks

Reseasoned with no salt Hunky...don't be shy...you know Rich uses good paprika!

Back into the smoker to render some more and develop that delicious buttery smooth texture. Oh.Hell.Yeah.

***********FINAL UPDATE***********

Slab Bacon is done. I'll let this sit a few days and then partially freeze it and run it through the slicer. Good color on it and it smells incredible.

Burnt ends are rendering down.

Chef Sample...I had to check on them frequently!

They are done!!

Someone better call me later to make sure I don't OD on Belly Bacon Burnt Ends, because these are so addictive and just...WOW!

Thanks for hanging out with me today and watching my Belly Bacon Burnt end project.
    Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 03-04-2017, 06:24 PM.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Can't wait for the finish I'm thawing some bellies right now
    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
    Weber 22.5" WSM
    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
    Weber Smokey Joe
    GMG Daniel Boone
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
    The Vortex

Comment

Be watching this one fo sho
      sigpic

Comment

Looks like a great start.

Keep the updates coming.

I love progressive threads. Makes me feel like I'm along for the ride. Especially on days I can't smoke.

Fortunately today I can smoke something so I'll be starting a progressive thread myself.
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Oh Hell Yeah Dana...I love progressive threads My problem is posting the final pics on the day they are cooked
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Bump...next installment just added.
            BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Yer killing me Dana...
              I smoked belly once and the Mrs. was put off by the fattiness of the meat My son took home lots of it just so I didn't have to listen to that
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                Yer killing me Dana...
                I smoked belly once and the Mrs. was put off by the fattiness of the meat My son took home lots of it just so I didn't have to listen to that
                In it's current form, it is still pretty fatty...but you put it back in the smoker and let it ride for a while and render more fat and it turns into a sticky sweet and savory / delectably seasoned piece of pork heaven. It isn't like taking a mouth of fat...it isn't like that at all.
                BBQ Eng.

Comment

Looking good.
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                    In it's current form, it is still pretty fatty...but you put it back in the smoker and let it ride for a while and render more fat and it turns into a sticky sweet and savory / delectably seasoned piece of pork heaven. It isn't like taking a mouth of fat...it isn't like that at all.
                    Exactly.
                    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Good grief I know that! No different than brisket burned ends... But sometimes others don't listen to reason
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                        Good grief I know that! No different than brisket burned ends... But sometimes others don't listen to reason
                        Oh Craig...I know you do...I wrote that so the casual drive by that hasn't done burnt ends would know there is a difference.

Final bump on today's project. Thanks for checkin' out my belly!
                        BBQ Eng.

Comment

Final bump on today's project. Thanks for checkin' out my belly!
                          Beautiful finish.

UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          -

Comment

Love your belly Dana...I'm doing this when I get the chance Lena can just........Eat something else

Hope to see sliced and fried bacon pics someday
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

That looks really delicious.

Comment

Working...
                              X