New Jersey pork roll.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jersey pork roll.

My guess is probably most of you never heard of this stuff. All I can tell you is it is prevalent in all of New Jersey and the Philadelphia area. That is where I live in case you didn't know.
    I ran across a recipe for it and thought I'd give it a whirl. For a 10 LB batch, calls for 3 LBS smoked bacon (which I made) and 7 LBS ground pork. A few spices, port wine, cure, and a normal process for smoking it, as in take it 153 degrees slowly, ice bath, etc. I followed the recipe to a T, in that I weighed the ingredients as opposed to using teaspoons, tablespoons, you get the idea.

For those of you who have tasted Taylor Ham, (as it's called) or Philly pork roll, the taste is really close. The texture is off a bit, probably would have been better if I chose to regrind with a smaller plate but I didn't because it's a PITA. Anyway, I will do this again and attempt to tweak it a bit because for the most part the flavor is there, and it's expensive to buy.

Thanks for looking, and recipe available upon request if anyone wants to try it.
    Attached Files
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

I'm interested in the recipe and what you think should be tweaked. I've never tasted it before but been wanting to make it for a while.
    Nice bacon too.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Dan.

I would do less fat, maybe use a pork loin perhaps, and the bacon I had was a bit fatty, so that would be #1. I would definitely regrind through a smaller plate which I'd have to obtain, that would be #2. I also think it could use more smoke, or something to bring a bit more flavor. Could use a suggestion on that, I went strictly by the recipe.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Damn. Using your home made bacon? I'd really have a hard time giving mine up for that, but it does look amazing.

Comment

I think we have a Sausagehead in the making

Looks excellent Jim!
          sigpic

Comment

I am not sure but John AKA Bearcarver may have given me a recipe a while back but not able to access it on my old computer. Anyway I have heard this Taylor pork roll is supposed to be great. Have never tried it but have heard enough about it even up here in MN. that I want to give it a shot. Looks pretty good SOB, ck PM's please as I really want to make a batch of this. Nice job and thanks for the offer of sharing! Also nice to see something not seen everyday.
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Thanks E. Check your PM.

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

OK Jim I can't taste it but it looks damn good from here
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  I think we have a Sausagehead in the making

Looks excellent Jim!
                  Thanks Scott. It is a lot of fun experimenting.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                    Thanks Scott. It is a lot of fun experimenting.
                    Sounds like something I would say
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      Sounds like something I would say
                      Yes it does. Hey, you only live once they say. Let's make it fun and tasty.

sigpic
                      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Looks Awesome, Jim!!---

And you're right---Dang Stuff is expensive in the stores around here!!

I'm thinking of using the same Recipe, but forming it in a Pan, like Venison Bacon (or Bear Loaf). I could give it more Smoke that way (thinner & laying flat), and it's so much easier for me to do that way.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post

I'm thinking of using the same Recipe, but forming it in a Pan, like Venison Bacon (or Bear Loaf). I could give it more Smoke that way (thinner & laying flat), and it's so much easier for me to do that way.
                          That's a great idea!

Here's the recipe I used since a few have asked for it. I'll smoke it longer next time and add a bit of zing to it.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6212

sigpic
                          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Man that looks great I never heard of it but will definitely have to give it a whirl. We have been eating a lot of TH summer sausage and Legs bologna I have made up for breakfast lately...so this looks great!..Thanks for the recipe.
                            z
                            sigpic
                            GMG Daniel Boone
                            UDS
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                            Vision Kamado grill
                            Weber Genesis Silver
                            Smokin Tex
                            MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                            Maverick ET 732
                            Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                            2 orange ThermoPops
                            A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                            A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                            Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                              That's a great idea!

Here's the recipe I used since a few have asked for it. I'll smoke it longer next time and add a bit of zing to it.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6212

Thanks Jim!!

Hey I just noticed one difference between the Real Taylor Pork Roll, and both yours and the one at that Link.

I noticed neither of yours need the cuts put in the outer edges to keep them from curling up like the Taylor Pork Roll needs.

Bear
                              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                              X