Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
    Thanks Jim!!

Hey I just noticed one difference between the Real Taylor Pork Roll, and both yours and the one at that Link.

I noticed neither of yours need the cuts put in the outer edges to keep them from curling up like the Taylor Pork Roll needs.

Bear
    Great observation Bear, my guess is they use 4" casings and I used 3". Also, theirs is really ground fine and mine was coarse, which next time I will regrind through a smaller plate. And obviously they're using machines and I'm stuffing by hand.
    Took about a pound into work today already fried in a pan for the guys to taste, it was a hit. The flavor is there, and I think the fact that I used some really smoky bacon helped. This has really been a fun project, and looking forward to doing it again with a few slight mods.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

regrind. PITA but will make the difference in texture and flavor.
      jealous of you folks that have the resources of making your own. But then again, I might need a Cardiologist if I'm could make it myself!!
      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Cool project and recipe!!
        I look forward to this one with one caveat!

There is one thing in the recipe that gives me reason to pause. The amount of cure#1 was reduced to take into account the cure in the bacon. The cure in the bacon is long gone and it has now been mixed with a raw product, it needs to be "recured" to remove the C.Bot reintroduced in mixing and grinding. So measure and use the correct amount of cure #1 for the total weight of meat!
        (or TQ if that is what you use.)
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Looks delicious! Send some to me for official taste test.
          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
            Cool project and recipe!!
            I look forward to this one with one caveat!

There is one thing in the recipe that gives me reason to pause. The amount of cure#1 was reduced to take into account the cure in the bacon. The cure in the bacon is long gone and it has now been mixed with a raw product, it needs to be "recured" to remove the C.Bot reintroduced in mixing and grinding. So measure and use the correct amount of cure #1 for the total weight of meat!
            (or TQ if that is what you use.)
            I thought that was a bit odd as well, so I used a tad more to compensate.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Looks awesome Jim! I love me some Taylor Pork Roll!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Hey Jim, How large in Diameter is a real Jersey pork roll? 3"?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanMcG View Post
                  Hey Jim, How large in Diameter is a real Jersey pork roll? 3"?

I think the most normal one is about 4" to 4 1/2" in Diameter, and they come in a cloth sack.

Mrs Bear often gets the smaller Roll (about 3" in Dia---Also in a cloth sack), because she is "Cheap", and Taylor PR is expensive, unless you make it like Jim did.

They also come sliced, about 4 in a box, but we never get those---They dry out & get rubbery, unlike the big rolls.

Link:
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks John, I'll have to see what I got for big casings and maybe give it a shot this weekend.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanMcG View Post
                      Thanks John, I'll have to see what I got for big casings and maybe give it a shot this weekend.

Since you're making your own, I would try to make the Diameter a little bigger than the Hamburger Buns you plan on using, allowing for a little shrinkage.
                      I hate it when the roll is much bigger than the meat !!!

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Looks like something I'll have to try. I'll give you some pork roll for this one.
                        sigpic
                        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                          I hate it when the roll is much bigger than the meat !!!
                          Bear
                          Ain't that the truth!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Dan, I used 3 inchers. I thought about 4's except I figured it would take that much longer to get done. Now, keep in mind, I had planned on poaching (sous-vide) to finish, but elected not to and just finish in the smoker. As it was, mine spent about 9 hours in the MES. Dried one hour, smoked (apple pellets) about 4, bumped the temp slowly to hit 153 which took several more hours.
                            I would love to do 4 inch casings, that's about the size of the real thing. (plus it will be compatible with most hamburger buns) Perhaps next time.

I really hope a few of you try this, the more the merrier. It's a great tasting versatile sausage and with the talent on here, we can get it perfected.

Thanks to everyone who's been following along.

sigpic
                            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I'm in. I've been looking for a new sumpin' sumpin' to try. I've never had taylor pork roll or NJ pork roll, but it sounds fantastic and sounds fun to make as well.
                              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                                I'm in. I've been looking for a new sumpin' sumpin' to try. I've never had taylor pork roll or NJ pork roll, but it sounds fantastic and sounds fun to make as well.
                                You're going to love it. Great with eggs for breakfast, or grilled with some smoked cheese on a roll.

sigpic
                                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X