Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SV 2" Thick Pork Chops (Boneless)

SV 2" Thick Pork Chops (Boneless)

I never made Pork Chops this thick before, because on the Grill or in a Pan it’s hard to get the inside done without overdoing the outside.
    This is another advantage of the Sous Vide. The whole thing gets done the same, inside & out.
    I gave up waiting for my stores to have Pork Loin, and pulled a small 8” long section out of my Freezer for Pork Chops.

It was about 8” long so I cut 4 Pork Chops, each about 2” Thick.
    Then I Seasoned them with CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder, put them in Vacuum bags in pairs, added butter, and sealed.
    Put both packs in the SV Supreme @ 136° for 3 1/2 hours.
    Removed from Bath, put one pack in Ice water for an hour, and then to freezer for a later date.
    Removed the other pair, Bagged one by itself & put in Fridge for next night’s Supper.

Then I got to try out my plan—I had bought a Grill bottom pan for searing & Grill marking, because of the problems I had before:
    I had trouble searing in a regular Pan without getting the meat done too much, and my Weber Q doesn’t get hot enough to do it either, and I could do it with a torch, but it just takes too long. So this $13 Grill Pan Works Great & only takes a few minutes to get hot & get done!!!
    Then I added the sides & we ate—Taters Au Gratin & Apple Sauce.

Then the next night I put the other Single Pork Chop in the SV @ 134° for another 3 1/2 hours, removed, Dried, Seared Grill Marks, and plated with Au Gratin Taters and Green Beans.

BTW: Mrs Bear wasn’t eating much for a few days after her surgery, so after taking Pics, I cut some of my Chop & gave it to her with her little bit of sides.

So that’s about it for now, Thanks for stopping by!!

Bear

An 8” chunk of Boneless Pork Loin cut into 4 Boneless Chops:

4 Chops Dried off & Seasoned with CBP, Garlic powder, and Onion Powder:

4 Chops put in 2 Vacuum Bags with some butter & sealed:

After 3 1/2 hours @ 136°, dried for searing. Other pair went in Ice Water for awhile, and then Frozen:

Searing with Grill Pan:

After Searing with Grill pan, plated with Taters Au Gratin, and Apple Sauce:

Then the next night, the other one gets reheated for 3 1/2 hours @ 134°:

Seared with Grill Marks. Works Great !!

Pork Chop, Au Gratin Taters, and Green Beans:

One more shot to show inside of Pork Chop after SV for 3 1/2 hours in 136°, and then reheated at 134° for another 3 1/2 hours:

Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Dang John, that's pretty!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Serious choppage goin on.
      Arron W.

YS 640
      Primo Oval XL
      Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
      Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
      Weber Copper Top
      Old Smokey
      Orion
      Gasser
      2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
      24" Disco with custom burner
      Red Thermapen
      2-Maverick ET-733
      Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
      sigpic

Comment

Excellent! And with Apple sauce ta boot
        sigpic

Comment

That sliced pic is doing it for me Bear.

Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

That's pretty much how I been doin it! Cept I sear in the "Q".

Nice work John!
            Attached Files
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Very cool bear! One question though. What's the point of cooking the one chop for 3.5 hours one day and refrigerating it, then SV'ing it again the next day for another 3.5 hours? Does it change the texture or anything, or is it just to reheat it the next day?
              Mike
              Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                Very cool bear! One question though. What's the point of cooking the one chop for 3.5 hours one day and refrigerating it, then SV'ing it again the next day for another 3.5 hours? Does it change the texture or anything, or is it just to reheat it the next day?
                I missed that, not necessary...in my opinion.
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                  Yup, IMO, not necessary, just heat and serve.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    I chill them, then sear and EAT!
                    Mark
                    sigpic

Comment

Sure looks good John! Always liked moist chops and they're so hard to gauge. Either over or under done usually. for doing them that thick.
                      sigpic
                      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Awesome when there that thick! I don't have a SV so I sear them both sides in the CI and into the oven @ 250°.

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                          Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                          Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                          I did it Exactly as written on the Reheating Chart on "Chef Steps Inc.", and these were 2" Thick:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...lmost-anything

Want some more-precise guidance on how to reheat that piece of meat you’ve got stashed away in the fridge? We’ve got some guidelines below. Keep in mind that the size and shape of the meat will dictate how long it takes to heat up.

A slab of meat—like a steak:

0.5 in (10 mm) thick: 20 min reheat time
                          1 in (25 mm) thick: 1¼ hr reheat time
                          2 in (50 mm) thick: 3½ hr reheat time
                          2.5 in (60 mm) thick: 5½ hr reheat time

Bear
                          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

John, you did not do anything "wrong", you followed the directions. The directions are wrong for reheating meat that has already been cooked. At that point, all you need to do is sear it and serve it.

I assume that is a mis-print.

It's a learning process, you are correct to follow direction till you know the process better.
                            Mark
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X