Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a good recipe for Texas Red Chili?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's another one from scratch, sort of. I haven't made it, yet!
    From, Texas Eats: The New Lone Star Heritage Cookbook

CLASSIC CHILI CON CARNE
    Make this chili with your own chili powder and see what you’ve been missing by using the stale stuff that comes in bottles. If you like, once all of the ingredients have been mixed together, transfer the contents of the Dutch oven to a slow cooker, cover, and cook on the high setting for 1 hour. Puree the ancho chiles as directed, then return the puree to the slow cooker, stir well, and cook on the low setting for 4 to 6 hours to blend the flavors.
    SERVES 8 TO 10
    2 tablespoons cumin seeds
    8 ounces sliced bacon
    3 pounds boneless beef chuck, buffalo, or venison, cut into ¼-inch cubes
    1 pound white onions, chopped
    3½ tablespoons homemade chili powder
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    ½ teaspoon salt
    4 large cloves garlic, minced
    1¾ cups beef broth
    1 (28-ounce) can pureed tomatoes
    1 cup water
    2 ancho chiles, seeded

Put the cumin seeds in a Dutch oven over medium heat and stir and shake the seeds until fragrant. Pour the seeds onto a work surface and, using a small, heavy skillet, crush them coarsely. Set aside.
    Return the Dutch oven to medium-high heat, add the bacon, and fry for 5 to 8 minutes, until crisp. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Increase the heat to high, add the beef cubes in batches to the bacon drippings in the pot, and cook, turning as needed, for about 5 minutes, until well browned on all sides. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl. Lower the heat to medium, add the onions to the remaining bacon drippings, and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
    Add the crushed cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano, black pepper, thyme, salt, and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Crumble in the bacon and add the broth, tomatoes, water, anchos, and the browned beef. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, then decrease the heat to low, cover partially, and simmer for 2 hours, until the meat is very tender.
    Add water as needed to maintain a good chili consistency. Remove the anchos, puree them in a blender, and then return the puree to the pot. Stir well, simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors, and serve.

Walsh, Robb. Texas Eats: The New Lone Star Heritage Cookbook, with More Than 200 Recipes (Kindle Locations 2753-2757). Potter/TenSpeed/Harmony. Kindle Edition.
    Last edited by Mark R; 06-28-2017, 12:50 PM.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
      Here's another one from scratch, sort of. I haven't made it, yet!
      From, Texas Eats: The New Lone Star Heritage Cookbook

CLASSIC CHILI CON CARNE
      Make this chili with your own chili powder and see what you’ve been missing by using the stale stuff that comes in bottles. If you like, once all of the ingredients have been mixed together, transfer the contents of the Dutch oven to a slow cooker, cover, and cook on the high setting for 1 hour. Puree the ancho chiles as directed, then return the puree to the slow cooker, stir well, and cook on the low setting for 4 to 6 hours to blend the flavors. SERVES 8 TO 10
      2 tablespoons cumin seeds
      8 ounces sliced bacon
      3 pounds boneless beef chuck, buffalo, or venison, cut into ¼-inch cubes
      1 pound white onions, chopped
      3½ tablespoons homemade chili powder
      2 teaspoons paprika
      1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
      1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
      ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
      ½ teaspoon salt
      4 large cloves garlic, minced
      1¾ cups beef broth
      1 (28-ounce) can pureed tomatoes
      1 cup water
      2 ancho chiles, seeded

Put the cumin seeds in a Dutch oven over medium heat and stir and shake the seeds until fragrant. Pour the seeds onto a work surface and, using a small, heavy skillet, crush them coarsely. Set aside.
      Return the Dutch oven to medium-high heat, add the bacon, and fry for 5 to 8 minutes, until crisp. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Increase the heat to high, add the beef cubes in batches to the bacon drippings in the pot, and cook, turning as needed, for about 5 minutes, until well browned on all sides. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl. Lower the heat to medium, add the onions to the remaining bacon drippings, and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
      Add the crushed cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano, black pepper, thyme, salt, and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Crumble in the bacon and add the broth, tomatoes, water, anchos, and the browned beef. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, then decrease the heat to low, cover partially, and simmer for 2 hours, until the meat is very tender.
      Add water as needed to maintain a good chili consistency. Remove the anchos, puree them in a blender, and then return the puree to the pot. Stir well, simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors, and serve.

Walsh, Robb. Texas Eats: The New Lone Star Heritage Cookbook, with More Than 200 Recipes (Kindle Locations 2753-2757). Potter/TenSpeed/Harmony. Kindle Edition.
      This sounds really goooood.... butt no beans...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
        This sounds really goooood.... butt no beans...
        No, no beans!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

No, no beans!
          I'm a bean fan... sorry... I guess I can learn tho...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
            I'm a bean fan... sorry... I guess I can learn tho...
            With beans it wouldn't be "Chili Con Carne".
            Mark
            sigpic

Comment

With beans it wouldn't be "Chili Con Carne".
              I wood be Chili Con PhilLee...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Green beans in Michigan?
                sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

I have shared this one several times. This is my family's favorite:

Roscoe’s Bosque River Chili
                  © Copyright Roscoe Coffman, November 2000, All rights reserved

I have worked on this recipe for over 20 years. Chili is the miraculously magical combination of Chiles and meat concocted by trail cooks on cattle drives across Texas a couple of hundred years or so ago. I am a Texas Chili purist. That means that the stuff you get in Cincinnati may be called Chili, but it ain’t. There is kind of an unwritten law somewhat like the Reinheitsgebot in Germany. This states that beer can contain only water, malt, yeast, and hops. If there are any other ingredients, then it cannot be called beer in Germany. Texas Chili contains only beef (or some other red meat such as venison, bear, etc.) Chiles, stock, herbs and spices. See beans anywhere? No Sir!! Now don’t misunderstand, I love beans. Especially Pintos, and I serve them with my Chili. I think they make a wonderful accompaniment. But they don’t belong in the Chili. My first homemade chili was made with Wick Fowlers 2 alarm Chili mix. This will make a pretty good bowl of red, but it just isn’t quite there. I have experimented for years with different types of meat. Ground beef just isn’t right. Texture is wrong, and the taste isn’t right either. In most supermarkets in Texas, you can buy Chili Grind beef, which is just a coarser grind of ground beef. I don’t find this any better than regular ground beef ( it usually has more fat). What I find to be most satisfying is to buy a roast. Pikes peak, chuck, London Broil, etc. I then trim most of the fat, and cube the meat into 1” cubes. Then the fat goes into a skillet to be rendered, and the melted beef tallow is what I use to brown the beef cubes. This is key: brown the beef cubes. That means to fry them in the fat until they have a very distinct brown color on at least 3 or 4 sides. This will give your Chili a good beef flavor.

Ingredients:
                  4 lbs. Beef, venison, etc. Trimmed lean and cubed into 1” cubes
                  8-12 Chile Ancho Pods
                  1 ½ tsp. Cumin
                  2 tsp salt
                  2 Green Anaheim Chiles, Fresh
                  *(Optional, gives a brightness to the flavor)
                  2 Medium yellow onions
                  4 Large cloves fresh Garlic
                  1 12 oz. Can tomato sauce
                  2-10 Chile Pequin pods
                  4 cups Beef Stock

Begin by splitting the Chile Anchos, and removing the stems and seeds. Then place them in a saucepan with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Boil for about 10 minutes, and then let stand for about 20 minutes. Place the chile flesh and liquid in a blender and puree until smooth. The quantity of pods depends on a number of factors. The size of the pods, and how much chile taste you desire. I usually start with 2 pods per pound of meat. Brown the meat as per the instructions above, drain, and remove to a large stock pot. Add the onions (coarsely chopped), the garlic, the beef stock, the Anaheims very finely chopped, the tomato sauce, and half of the Ancho Puree. Bring to a slow simmer, and simmer for about 2 ½ to 3 hours (basically until the meat begins to disintegrate). Stir occasionally, and add liquid as necessary remembering that when this is done you want a very thick consistency. This is best achieved by cooking until the meat begins to disintegrate. I usually add water, but good dark beer is an interesting flavor twist sometime. Adjust seasonings by adding more Ancho Puree for a “higher” chili taste, and Chile pequin* pods for heat. You will note that the Chile Pequins also add some acidity, or a slightly vinegary note. If the thickness isn't to your liking, you can add a small amount of masa harina to tighten it up.

*Pequins are very hot. Around 13 - 40 times as hot as Jalapeños. So, while they will give a critusy or vinegary note, they also add lots of heat. proceed with caution.
                  A few of my favorite things:
                  Good Whiskey
                  Good Food
                  Bad Girls
                  sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                  Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

I’m just watching and taking notes. AND adding beans
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      I’m just watching and taking notes. AND adding beans
                      Green beans
                      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                        I have shared this one several times. This is my family's favorite:

Roscoe’s Bosque River Chili
                        I like the sound of that!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

Comment

Using the dried ancho pods make a huge difference in the flavor. I actually use a combination of powder and pods. Even though I do use chili grind beef, I also add cubed up rib eyes for a little chunk and beefiness. NO BEANS!!
                          Arron W.

YS 640
                          Primo Oval XL
                          Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
                          Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
                          Weber Copper Top
                          Old Smokey
                          Orion
                          Gasser
                          2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
                          24" Disco with custom burner
                          Red Thermapen
                          2-Maverick ET-733
                          Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
                          sigpic

Comment

Some of these recipes sound Great!

However, I grew up on my grandmother's chili recipe and we still cook it to this day.

Yes, we use beans
                            Pete
                            Large BGE
                            Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Had some tasty leftover chili last night and poured over coneys. Just the thing this time of year!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X